Mac version of Elite via Aspyr?

Looking to the future, do Frontier intend to try and keep their Bootcamping Mac players of Elite by asking Aspyr to do a Mac version of Elite? Now that Apple are using their own chips, and bootcamp will soon be consigned to history, what are the plans, if any, of any current bootcamp folks out there? Is it time to grab the dirty end of the sticks and go pee cee? ;)

Razzerman

I doubt FDev has any intention to resume official support for Elite: Dangerous on Mac, but I haven't heard anything official on the topic.

How big is the Mac audience for ED?

BootCamp is grabbing the dirty end of the stick and going Windows (PC) :)

I'm planning a question in the ama for that good old fashioned ignore, where Frontier pretend that macOS has never had anything to do with Elite Dangerous.

It is certainly something I would be interested to hear a response on, as I am a Mac Bootcamp ED player. I also play on PS4 Pro – soon to be PS5 which will probably run Elite as well as it does on my Bootcamp setup which might make my Bootcamp play redundant (I play in Bootcamp for improved FPS). Either way it would be good to hear of any plans.

Either way it would be good to hear of any plans.
Given that Frontier hardly engaged on the macOS client even when there was one, I suspect we can surmise what their plans are by the traditional total lack of engagement on the subject of macOS.

It's just fun to poke Frontier every now and again to remind them that while they may have written macOS out of the history of Elite Dangerous, the facts are otherwise.

Th Ant has pointed out that Eve is getting a native macOS client. Come on Frontier, let's have a macOS client of Christmas future as well as Christmas past.

It's Marley and Braben woooooo ....

+1 as well for Mac support. I've just made the switch from Intel Mac to Apple Silicon Mac so can no longer get my Elite Dangerous fix in Bootcamp. I was gutted to see Elite disappear from Mac originally and was running a Bootcamp partition with Windows 10 just for Elite Dangerous which required a significant portion of my SSD to be used up. Now I've gone Apple Silicon I don't even have that option! Gaming is definitely starting to pick up on the Mac platform though,

I also think it was questionable to actually remove Mac client support in the first place. I paid a lot of money for the Mac game when it was originally released. I remember when Frontier were developing Elite they kept assuring us it would have an offline mode, but it has always required connection to Frontier servers to play. Its one thing removing support for a free to play MMORPG and quite something else to tell someone, only a few years after they made their purchase, that the game is going to be useless unless you go out and buy new hardware.

Please, please, please bring back Mac support.

Top Bottom