Make 2019 Elite Dangerous: Originals

The reason for this suggestion is today, I was curious about past ships of the Elite series. and much like this year where the Krait and Mamba were added (2 original ships, remastered and awesomely designed!) I hope that we will see this alt more in the future updates this year, as there is ALOT of potential ships that could be made the same way. such as;

Elite 1984:

-The Boa: The new and updated version could be either true to the classic description as a smaller ship to the Python but with more cargo capacity (or more of an affordable Python step-up) or larger than the Python and a Step up to the Anaconda. either way, I envisage this ship to be a trade biased Multi-Role (like a smaller Cutter)

-The Constrictor: Staying true to the Original, this ship could be a small sized Python equivalent, However it is much more faster and "nippy" with fantastic thrusters. A Small Multi-role. or possibly and entry level medium

-Gecko: In accordance to FFE, this ship had a Larger retro-Thruster than main. this ship would prove excellent for mining. meaning one could blast to asteroids and rapidly stop if needed. this ship could be upsized as well to suit a bit better!

-Moray Star Boat: This Ship was designed with the intention as a Submarine/Ship. Meaning it's addition could potentially be linked with Atmospheric Worlds. This ship could be reinvented as a 'Planetary Vehicle' that can be deployed, flown and used underwater for various activities.

- The Worm: Was originally a deployable transporter for surface operations, could be reinvented to become a cargo ferry 'SLF', basically allowing Large ships to trade to ports they otherwise could not land on. similarly, could be used to land on surface sites too small for large ships to land, allowing for unhindered deployment of SRVs.

Frontier: Elite 2

-Interplanetary shuttle: Could be updated as a Entry level Transporter, this thing was notoriously cheap. expect a Ship price of the 10's of thousands of credits for this baby, transporter players can then work up to the Dolphin later.

-Falcon: Known previously for having "the fastest acceleration of all ships" I wouldn't mind this to be like the Mamba and FDL pairing, but with the Eagle. It will likely have just the two size 1's, or maybe size 2's in modern adaptation.

-Hawk: originally an "airfighter" this ship could see a more modernised adaptation, Again as a small ship, This ship too had a notorious Acceleration, it could be added as a Vulture equivalent, But much faster with the same agility. with 1 size 3 and 2 size 2's.

-Kestrel: Again had an awesome acceleration (but not as high as those above) and was described as almost as a SLF, It could be resized to fulfil this role as a very fast moving, heavy hitting less agile SLF. or it could be reimagined as a Imperial Courier equivalent for the Federation.

-Osprey: An imperial specific fighter with a long jump range, this already could come in handy. This purpose would not need to change. basically a juiced up Imperial eagle, with faster acceleration. I see this as being a very fast ship with great handling, compatible with two size 2's for a more modernised scaling.

-Lion: Originally being a particularly underwhelming ship, Slow, cumbersome, defenceless. the Lion could see a minor improvement, being a Trade ship revitalised for mining. medium sized as basically a more agile Type-6 with the potential of being smaller or larger. This is really up to FDev.

-Tiger: Larger Than the Lion, This ship was notoriously Bulky, But had a much better cargo capacity, this ship could be re-imagined as a Bigger step up between the type-6 and type-7. although it will fulfil the same purpose as a trader. however this ship is quite a bit faster.

-Panther: also designated the 'panther Clipper' This ship was a mammoth, dwarfing all ships we have to date available in the ship yard. To add this a new docking system would need to be required. Commonly regarded for having a poor jump range and speed, this ship has amazing defence capabilities, shields in particular, but weapons also were considerable for the time. as well as an unmatched cargo capacity, basically it is a slower, larger Cutter.

-Puma: Could be added as an entry level Large trader, possibly with a speed enhancement. more akin to that of a Imperial Clipper, but perhaps with more cargo and less speed.

Frontier: First encounters

-Griffon: Another Huge ship, only surpassed by the Panther in size, to modernise it a bit, this ship could take on a more better multi role ( the original did look pretty cool, however it was surprisingly sluggish despite it's build, this ship could be added along with the Panther as a more faster, slightly smaller version. With decent offensive and defensive measures. However, keeping true to it's original form, this ship will eat fuel like not tomorrow, a larger jump range would be nice though.

-Gyr: It had a very decent jump range for a combat craft, it could reimagined as a small-medium size interceptor. with decent weapon slots (thinking 2 size 3 and 2 size 1s). the ship is not particularly fast, but it will fir a purpose.

-Harrier: described as being akin to the AspX but with more firepower, this ship could be exactly that (although looking completely different) although the original states it had les powerful thrusters than the asp, the new model could be reinvented to be an entry level medium FDL equivalent, limited optional space, but decent agility, firepower and shields.

-Harris Fighter: Described as being a very reliable combat craft, this ship could be added as another Vulture/Icourier rival, marginally slower and with slightly weaker offensive capabilities than the Vulture, but with excellent shield defence.

-Imperial explorer: Another Huge Class ship, although smaller than Panther and Griffon. surprisingly, this ship was more effective at Combat than actual exploration. described at having a fast speed for it's size, excellent shields and amazing offensive ability. However to modernize this ship, it would be nice to see it fulfil it's named role, Exploration. with the ability to store enough fuel, Oversized FSD. and a load of optional internals to keep explores operational for many months at a time. if you need to land on the surface, just deploy a Worm (mentioned above) and all you prayers are answered ;) A new Huge ship can be added (along with a Federal counterpart that is designed more long the lines of the original.

-Imperial Trader: Originally a Large ship that is more akin to the Cutter now, it would still be nice to see a modernisation of the ship (I do like it's tri-Nacelle configuration) as a much more Trade biased Cutter (either smaller or slightly larger) with a lager Cargo capacity but less firepower. This ship had a very nice jump range!

-Lanner: pretty mediocre ship. although suitable to match the Hauler and Adder for cargo (if not slightly better). make for an entry trade step up.

-Lanner 2: Like the Cobra MK4 to the MK3, the updated version handles worse than previous, but cargo is almost double, again a stepping stone to larger trade ships.

-Lifter: This ship would need to be revitalised in order to be useful for Modern use, As it's open frame would be useless in current use. It could however be reconfigured to be a Trade Chieftain style ship, with the moving thrusters and such. and a very large Cargo capacity.

-Mantis: originally a Medium to Large ship, this ship was an Exellent trader as well as being able to defend itself nicely, this ship could see use as a rival to the Orca in size and use.

-Merlin: Originally a alight fighter, it would be nice to see this as a smaller Icourier Equivalent.

-Osprey X: A juiced up Osprey, with superior jump range and speed, this would make for a very lethal medium entry ship.

-Saker Mk3: Originally a Sidewinder equivalent, the modernised Saker could be just a small improvement on the sidewinder, as a next level multi-role.

-Spar: Small ship with a larger jump range than most, this would be almost a Viper equivalent, although slower.

-Tiercel: a type-6 equivalent, could be added as a slower version with a higher jump range, less cargo

-Wyvern: When compared to the Asp, this thing was a tin can, it would be nice to see the ship revisited as a much faster combat vessel with a size akin to the Asp

As one can see, there is ALOT of ships from Elite's past that aren't in game, 30 to be exact (almost the entire shipyard yet again). I removed the last names on the Puma Shuttle, Tiger trader, panther clipper as these are likely to be dated concepts to be added, to have the Panther clipper added as just 'Panther' would be a bit more cleaner and can be flexible.

just food for thought, but seeing old classic renewed has been an amazing thing so far (especially if they are as awesome as the Krait ;)

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
Wide eyes the Gecko is a pet and my avatar. Well, Tokay Gecko. Not going to post a video on them because of their mating sounds. Look up cursing gecko.

Last edited:
I’d like the Lifter from FE2 as it’s probably the closest I’d get to flying an Eagle Transporter from Space 1999.

Perhaps as a cargo SLF for the big ships that might not fit through the slot?

Personally, the ships I want to see are the Gecko, Constrictor, and Boa, along with the big cats (Lion, Tiger, Puma, Panther). I feel that these ships could work extremely well within the current framework of the game, although a few of them may need a rework (similar to the Krait) in order to be balanced with the existing ships.

The Falcon, Hawk, Kestrel, Osprey, and their derivatives were all originally short range fighters similar to the SLFs we have in game. I don't really see a need or a use for them unless the SLF mechanics get an overhaul. However, if SLFs did get an overhaul, I would see these ships as non-rebuildable SLFs that can be customized and/or engineered like our full sized ships.

The Lifter and Planetary Shuttle would probably fit as SLF transports. The Worm would probably also work here.

Personally I think the Morray is ugly and has a very limited use case. Yes, it could potentially work VERY well on atmospheric worlds, but so would the Adder. The only thing I see the Morray being good enough at to justify using it instead of any other ship would be as a submersible, as per the flavour text from the original game.

I am not very well versed on the ships from FFE. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Imperial Trader and Explorer were remodeled as the Clipper and Cutter for ED. As for the Alliance specific ships from FFE, I don't think we will be getting those (at lest not until the other superpowers get more ships).

Personally, the ships I want to see are the Gecko, Constrictor, and Boa, along with the big cats (Lion, Tiger, Puma, Panther). I feel that these ships could work extremely well within the current framework of the game, although a few of them may need a rework (similar to the Krait) in order to be balanced with the existing ships.

The Falcon, Hawk, Kestrel, Osprey, and their derivatives were all originally short range fighters similar to the SLFs we have in game. I don't really see a need or a use for them unless the SLF mechanics get an overhaul. However, if SLFs did get an overhaul, I would see these ships as non-rebuildable SLFs that can be customized and/or engineered like our full sized ships.

The Lifter and Planetary Shuttle would probably fit as SLF transports. The Worm would probably also work here.

Personally I think the Morray is ugly and has a very limited use case. Yes, it could potentially work VERY well on atmospheric worlds, but so would the Adder. The only thing I see the Morray being good enough at to justify using it instead of any other ship would be as a submersible, as per the flavour text from the original game.

I am not very well versed on the ships from FFE. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Imperial Trader and Explorer were remodeled as the Clipper and Cutter for ED. As for the Alliance specific ships from FFE, I don't think we will be getting those (at lest not until the other superpowers get more ships).

Yeah, but that's the thing. most (if not all) of the past ships will need some sort of rework in order to be usable in the current version. And some ships could even see drastic size changes Like the Krait, which is now a medium ship, with multiple crew (instead of a "small one manned fighter" like the original)

With that being said, I wouldn't mind a few more SLF types, more just more of those small fighters in general (they are whippy, and REALLY fun to fly :) ) some of the designs from the Osprey and Hawk look awesome! and would make some nice extra additions to the fighter variation of the game!

I will Re-write the list with proposed updated enhancements.. my take anyway :)

The reason for this suggestion is today, I was curious about past ships of the Elite series. and much like this year where the Krait and Mamba were added (2 original ships, remastered and awesomely designed!) I hope that we will see this alt more in the future updates this year, as there is ALOT of potential ships that could be made the same way. such as;

Elite 1984:

-The Boa

-The Constrictor

-Gecko

-Moray Star Boat (fantastic for atmospheric worlds ;) )

- The Worm

Frontier: Elite 2

-Interplanetary shuttle

-Falcon

-Hawk

-Kestrel

-Osprey

-Lion

-Tiger

-Panther

-Puma

Frontier: First encounters

-Griffon

-Gyr

-Harrier

-Harris Fighter

-Imperial explorer

-Imperial Trader

-Lanner

-Lanner 2

-Mantis

-Merlin

-Osprey X

-Saker Mk3

- Skeet

-Spar

-Tiercel

-Wyvern

As one can see, there is ALOT of ships from Elite's past that aren't in game, 30 to be exact (almost the entire shipyard yet again). I removed the last names on the Puma Shuttle, Tiger trader, panther clipper as these are likely to be dated concepts to be added, to have the Panther clipper added as just 'Panther' would be a bit more cleaner and can be flexible.

just food for thought, but seeing old classic renewed has been an amazing thing so far (especially if they are as awesome as the Krait ;)

Maybe FD could start adding wire frame ship to the game, or are you going to write the cheque?

Maybe FD could start adding wire frame ship to the game, or are you going to write the cheque?

One of the things I'd quite like to see is more NPC flavour by adding non-player-flyable ships, and NPC traffic going down to atmospheric surface ports. For some they could be a preview of future content, for others they could just remain simpler assets that are functionally just reskinned versions of existing ships.

So a Boa looks like the old wireframe model but interacts with player ships functionally the same as an Anaconda or T-9 say.

As you imply though, the devil would be in the detail & I can imagine even simple things like relocating cargo hatches would be so much work they may as well be player flyable anyway.

As I remember it the Constrictor was a prototype which was similar to the Asp and had cloaking tech.

But yeah bring all the ships from the original games a lot were very quirky and original so it would be interesting to see how FDev would interpret them in ED.

As I remember it the Constrictor was a prototype which was similar to the Asp and had cloaking tech.

But yeah bring all the ships from the original games a lot were very quirky and original so it would be interesting to see how FDev would interpret them in ED.

I agree, that was anouther motive for this suggestion, some of the ships look absolutely awesome! others look unique. and some remind you of Star Wars ships (Merlin has the Imperial Shuttle look, Gyr the Namboo fighters form EpI :D :D)

I am going to throw a new suggestion into the mix, which of the Ships suggested would you like to see the most? you can list up to 5. you may give reasons and ideas as to why this ship should be introduced with priority :)

Mine would be:

1. Flacon, as perhaps one of the fastest ships the game will ever see, this would make for an amazing eagle counterpart!

2.Boa, some of my favourite ships are the Anaconda and Python, seeing another amazing multi-role like these would be amazing!

3. Osprey, where the falcon would likely be a federal ship, the Osprey is it's Imperial counterpart

4. Panther, a Ship marking a next generation in ship sizes if introduced true to old design, but can easily be slightly downsized to fit 'just' into a Large Pad, this ship would be an amazing asset to the game. I believe there is even concept art for this one.

vIQfr5t.jpg

How cool does that look!? ^ I wouldn't mind of it was downsized, it would probably be better for balance anyway. as long as it has the highest cargo in the game I am happy ;)

5. Gecko, it's unique oversized retro thruster may make this ship something of a mining super ship, blasting to asteroids only to rapidly stop to mine the goods, just sounds like a unique and useful asset.

I love all these suggestions! I agree that need a new size of ship for a completely new calibre of gameplay. I would also like to see more variety in the available ships, because I find the current situation lacking (especially with all the remake ships: alliance ships are all the same, federal ships are all the same. Krait phantom is good because it fills a different niche. Mamba just sucks).
So yeah. More ships to fill different niches. More unique chassis shapes. Lets get this on the same level of variety we have with cars.

I love all these suggestions! I agree that need a new size of ship for a completely new calibre of gameplay. I would also like to see more variety in the available ships, because I find the current situation lacking (especially with all the remake ships: alliance ships are all the same, federal ships are all the same. Krait phantom is good because it fills a different niche. Mamba just sucks).
So yeah. More ships to fill different niches. More unique chassis shapes. Lets get this on the same level of variety we have with cars.

Haha, didn't expect this thread to be unearthed :D
Thank you! and i agree more ships= more versatility and with more versatility comes a more engaging experiance!

Provided they are added in a logical and balanced manner, seeing the Huge ships mentioned added would be a treat. for me personally i don't care about pew-pew stuff, give me a Huge ship and set me adrift into the deep black to go all Star Trek on the Galaxy. Huge ships could be a reward for Elite status (Panther for Trade, IExplorer for Exploration and Griffin for Combat (Griffin had a very cool design, would be nice to see it redesigned for a combat role)) Huge ships would provide a good Endgame goal for us who have done everything else (Triple Elite, ALL engineers maxed, all tech broker items acquired, collected all the CG decals, Collected all the ships and A rate them etc.)

I agree though, Aliance ships are all just copy and paste, Fed is the same however they had the decency to throw a Trade ship in the mix. Crusader should never of been introduced (FDev could of just added hanger ability to Challenger and prevented the waste of a whole shipyard slot)

Goose4291

Banned
-Lifter: This ship would need to be revitalised in order to be useful for Modern use, As it's open frame would be useless in current use. It could however be reconfigured to be a Trade Chieftain style ship, with the moving thrusters and such. and a very large Cargo capacity.

I had a soft spot for the lifter as it was one of my first game exploits I ever did (trash the interplanetary drive, replace with a class 1 military and ditch your atmospheric shield and you've got a really small freighter.

I always hoped they'd add her as a SLF type thing for mining or mission/cargo delivery to outposts.

Sleep well, sweet Prince.

Lifter.gif

I had a soft spot for the lifter as it was one of my first game exploits I ever did (trash the interplanetary drive, replace with a class 1 military and ditch your atmospheric shield and you've got a really small freighter.

I always hoped they'd add her as a SLF type thing for mining or mission/cargo delivery to outposts.

Sleep well, sweet Prince.

Lifter.gif

Haha, I never sadly played the FFE or original Elite series (just a fraction before my time ;) ) however I am still a fan of classics, in particular I have a passion for most of the FFE and original 84 ships and find it fun to just imagine how they could be reimagined for this generation of Elite!

In regards to the lifter, i'd kinda think it to be a waste for it to just be added as an SLF (as I mentioned back then the Worm would be a good cargo SLF), the Lifter should Lift!! For this ship I wouldn't mind a more unique use. for example when you go to some stations you will see some very large Silos/ containers, imagine carrying something 'like' that suspended under it!! (like large 'kiloton' canisters) they could even add missions to carry whole ship parts from A-B (I always wondered how they transport my ships around, adding these would fill that void ;) ) we need a few unique ships, otherwise they all begin to loose their impact (like comparing Challengers, FDLs, FAS' and such, all cool but at the end of the day they do the same thing... pew-pew and that's it, just some better than others)

from the picture above it looks really cool!!! those vector thrusters (like the Chieftain series) would lift it's character immeasurably in-game. This is definitely a ship i'd like to see added... I can just see the photo opportunities landing one on a planet with those sweet, sweet thrusters :D :D

If they add the Lion & you don't blow yourself up with your own turrets I am throwing a major wobbly mind! It just wouldn't be the same any other way!

CMDR Justinian Octavius

Top Bottom