Making animal enrichment look “pretty”

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips for making animal enrichment items look less randomly placed, especially in large open grassland exhibits? I’m working on my wild dogs enclosure but the enrichment items are just “meh” and spaced around randomly.

I’ve been able to make some things like mud baths look quite realistic etc but other things just look carelessly placed.

thanks!

Some enrichments can be hidden into rocks or logs without a problem, so I would try some of those. For example I often hide the herb or blood scent markers into some elevated rocks. The animals then climb the rocks to scent it, it looks really cool. Sprinklers can be put into shallow water and I am not sure about this one, but perhaps rubbing pillar can placed into tree, so the animals would rub on the tree? Will need to test that one though.

Last edited:
I colour my rubbing pillars always brownish (like treebark) and than put them into a tree, so that just a little bit of the pillar looks out - you wouldn't notice, if you don't know where to look (doing the same with scratching thingie). Works.

I colour my rubbing pillars always brownish (like treebark) and than put them into a tree, so that just a little bit of the pillar looks out - you wouldn't notice, if you don't know where to look (doing the same with scratching thingie). Works.
Amazing, thanks for confirming it works. Will try it for sure :)

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Good tips in this thread! I think placing some foliage items around the enrichments items, and sort of building them into the environment around (enrichment item permitting, of course) can help make them look a bit more natural!

Top Bottom