General / Off-Topic Map of space missions

I can't believe Voyager 1 is 10 billion away from the sun. That's amazing really.
Yet, it's merely about 100AU - you would catch up with it in less than two weeks if you had Frontier technology, about a week in something fast (Asp) on manual. :eek:

100AU is about 800 light minutes - slightly above half a day. The closest star is about 4 light years away - more or less 1 460 days.

Thanks again for the amazing picture!

The Voyagers and Pioneers sound incredibly far away when you talk in billions of kilometers and so pathetically close when you talk in light days. Just goes to show how mind bogglingly immense the Universe is.

On a side note: I thought the Voyagers would have been destroyed/badly damaged passing through the termination shock and certainly by the time they reach the heliopause, but a little bit of Internet research tells me that their missions are actually to study these boundaries.

Check out this fascinating article and have a look at the images of the positions of the probes relative to the different boundaries. I guess if the "region of hot hydrogen known as the hydrogen wall" is hot enough then they will be destroyed on entering it. Either that or they'll be destroyed by Thargoids before then or perhaps become and integral part of a spaceship called V'ger and try to find The Creator. Who knows eh?

How many (Elite playing) people here decided to see how far they could go in FE2 or FFE and pointed their rear laser sight directly at Sol and set the speed to maximum? If memory serves me correctly you eventually start heading back towards the sun. I'll maybe try it on my emulated version of FE2 later.

Here are some variations of "The Question" people have been talking about... Do you think Elite IV should have Heliopauses and the like? Should you be able to fly between stars without hyperdrives? That would of course involve the background star field being made of real and selectable stars and give the Shuttle and Lifter some purpose!

I guess if the "region of hot hydrogen known as the hydrogen wall" is hot enough then they will be destroyed on entering it.
Given the density of this wall - I doubt it. Hot refers to high mean velocity of the individual particles so even what we'd effectively see as pretty good vacuum can be hot, despite having too few of those high-velocity particles to actually deposit meaningful amount of energy in any macroscopic object entering it in a reasonable time.
If memory serves me correctly you eventually start heading back towards the sun.
Probably a variable overflow or a workaround for it. :confused:

Do you think Elite IV should have Heliopauses and the like?
I don't think they would be noticeable in game, so probably not.

Should you be able to fly between stars without hyperdrives?
Theoretically it would be nifty, but apart from providing nice, continuous and well integrated galaxy/system map, wouldn't really amount to anything in game, though selecting hyperspace target from your primary view screen would be convenient and cool. Still, given that modern computers do have built in FPUs, why not?

That would of course involve the background star field being made of real and selectable stars and give the Shuttle and Lifter some purpose!
No. Look at the time involved.

Given the density of this wall - I doubt it. Hot refers to high mean velocity of the individual particles so even what we'd effectively see as pretty good vacuum can be hot, despite having too few of those high-velocity particles to actually deposit meaningful amount of energy in any macroscopic object entering it in a reasonable time.

Of course! I wasn't thinking about it from first principles, but heat is a measure of particle velocity. So a hot region of near vacuum isn't actually all that dangerous in terms of the heat (obviously dangerous because it's a vacuum still tho). Fascinating!

Probably a variable overflow or a workaround for it. :confused:
Almost certainly one of the two.

I don't think they would be noticeable in game, so probably not.
No, I guess not...

Theoretically it would be nifty, but apart from providing nice, continuous and well integrated galaxy/system map, wouldn't really amount to anything in game, though selecting hyperspace target from your primary view screen would be convenient and cool. Still, given that modern computers do have built in FPUs, why not?
It would definitely be worth it just for selecting your hyperspace target. You'd get a much better feel for where you were relative to known stars or star groups. It would probably have to be limited to stars within a few sectors though to stop things getting too messy.

No. Look at the time involved.

Time is the issue. But given that all ships in FE2/FFE are fitted with a Stardreamer Time Control unit time becomes somewhat less of a gameplay issue. I just took an Eagle Long Range Fighter out for a spin in the Sol system. Here are some stats and calculations:

maximum set seed: 204,472.31 km/s
maximum actual speed: 101,531.04 km/s
(and I believe that these are constants for all ships in the game)
On maximum Stardreamer time 1 day passes in roughly 10 seconds.
1 day = 86,400 seconds
there are 149,598,000 km in 1 AU
so in 10 seconds (real world or gameplay seconds that is) you can travel:
101,531.04 x 86,400 = 8,772,281,856 km
which is a speed of 877,228,185.6 km/s
or roughly 5.86 AU/s
1 light year is 63,239.6717 AU
divide that by 5.86 and you get a time of:
10,784.57 seconds
which is almost exactly 3 gameplay hours (and 15 seconds if we're being precise).
Therefore on maximum Stardreamer time at maximum velocity you can travel about 1 light year for every three hours of gameplay. That means you could get from Sol to Alpha Centauri if you left your Interplanetary Shuttle working away overnight. And there are systems much closer together than that. I'm sure I found one that was only 1.0 ly from it's nearest neighbour once.

Top Bottom