Mass Locking - Cumulative or Largest Ship Only?

But do they at least affect the FSD charge up timer?

I mean, the mass of several smaller ships has to do SOMETHING right?

Only ships with the same or higher mass inhibition factor (mif) inhibit the FSD charge up time, and that only when low-waking. Hyperjumps are always immune to any form of mass inhibition. Ships with lower mif have no effect on charge up time whatsoever.

Since the Cutter, as mentioned in the OP, has the single highest mif of all ships currently in the game, only other cutters can mass-inhibit it.

Only ships with the same or higher mass inhibition factor (mif) inhibit the FSD charge up time, and that only when low-waking. Hyperjumps are always immune to any form of mass inhibition. Ships with lower mif have no effect on charge up time whatsoever.

Since the Cutter, as mentioned in the OP, has the single highest mif of all ships currently in the game, only other cutters can mass-inhibit it.

I disagree.

Try low waking out of the centre of an active Combat Zone.

I have to say that mechanic feels...sloppy.

If anything the combined mass of ships within X distance should influence mass inhibition and mass lock.

I disagree.

Try low waking out of the centre of an active Combat Zone.

Did exactly that a few hours ago with my Cutter without any problems. It was a federal CZ, so no other Cutters present which could mass-inhibit me.

If you experience mass inhiibition in a CZ it is because other ships with same/higher MIF are present. The number of ships doesn't matter.

Last edited:
As has been stated, only the highest mass lock factor matters, and mass lock factor has no direct relation to mass.

I have a feeling the mass inhibition is bugged. I have a Python and twice I've been inhibited by a much smaller ship, even when the NCP is the only ship on my radar. The first time it happend I'd lost my shields in a CZ and was fleeing, but a pursuing Taipan fighter (so really small in comparison) prevented me from jumping to SC. The second time I was in a debris field, I picked up a bounty for attacking a wanted NPC (that I'd scanned!) and once I'd dispatched the pirate I was attached and pursued by a single police viper, once more I was prevented from jumping to SC. The drive charges to about 30% and then simply stops.

Top Bottom