Maybe a Stupid question - Shields

Why not a BI-Weave Prismatic shield?

bi-weaves are C-rated shields focused on improved recharge/rebuild rates
prismatics are A-rated focused on increased absolute value, at the cost of increased weight and power consumption - they behave almost as 1 class higher A-rated.

so your question is why not AAC shields? because FD likes 1 letter shields, mostly...

That does not really answer the question. We did not always have Bi-weaves. They were added a while back. Yes, currently the Prismatic only comes as A rated. That should not prevent the power from applying the technology to add BI-Weave. Seems reasonable to me.

That does not really answer the question. We did not always have Bi-weaves. They were added a while back. Yes, currently the Prismatic only comes as A rated. That should not prevent the power from applying the technology to add BI-Weave. Seems reasonable to me.
A bi weave shield is a shield with less power and higher regeneration.
A prismatic shield is a shield with more power and lesser regeneration.

A prismatic bi weave would be a shield with less power then a prismatic but more then a bi weave, and less regeneration then a bi weave but more then a prismatic by that logic.

Which is what a normal A-rated shield is. (Except it only weights half of the prismatic).

Shields are already out of whack enough, no use to add in another module here.

Like Maec said, are prismatic and biweave not an opposite of each other? Such that if you took an a rated module, applied biweave magic, then applied prismatic magic, you'd end up back where you started. An A rated normal one.

So, whilst I get your point, and factoring that the theory doesn't apply down to the exact value I imagine, the result would still be the same.

I also believe that biweave were given a C class because they matched the weight and other things categories - not because they are the middle of the spectrum of normal shields.

Just my opinion though of course.

Suppose you could go the other way and add a powerplay/tech broker shield that had less mj than a biweave but even faster regeneration.

That's the only niche I see for a super biweave, not that I'd consider using it.

In other words, all those options together would cancel. Prismatic shields better total strength and slower charge rate would cancel against Bi-weave lesser total strength and better charge rate, effectively making it a standard A rated.

Each one has it's specific purpose. Prismatic for heavy sustained combat where you don't expect any recharge time. Bi-weave where you expect smaller bursts of combat, with lulls that would allow for recharging. Standard A-rated for when you can't decide or commit.

For me, I put prismatic on the bigger ships, not many enemies are going to miss you. Smaller ships can go bi-weave.

Top Bottom