News Meet the Team #5: Mike Evans (Game Designer)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Mike, if you like racing games you have to check out rFactor2. They have just released a Chevvy Camaro, but their historic race cars are even better!

Mike Evans

Designer- Elite: Dangerous
Frontier
Mike, if you like racing games you have to check out rFactor2. They have just released a Chevvy Camaro, but their historic race cars are even better!

Unfortunately I only have a steering wheel for my xbox and not PC and if I'm going to play a game like that I'd have to do it properly with expensive gear including a new pc, monitors, cockpit etc. ;)

Hi Mike,

Are you going to go to Gamescomm? http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/en/gamescom/home/index.php

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/#entry16943

May want to check out Il2 BOS, they should have Occulus Rift running at this event, if you get the chance to go :).

2014 is going is to be a landmark year for PC gaming, Elite Dangerous is looking far better than I ever imagined so far :D

Really looking forward to some in-game footage, once its up to the standard you're all happy with (althoygh many will be happy with less no doubt lol).

Last edited:
2014 is going is to be a landmark year for PC gaming, Elite Dangerous is looking far better than I ever imagined so far :D

Made me think of this for some reason.

Strange memories on this nervous night in Cambridge. Has it been five years? Six? It seems like a lifetime. The kind of peak that never comes again. PC-gaming in the twenty-ten's was a very special time and place to be a part of. But no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive, in that corner of time in the world… Whatever it meant. There was madness in any direction. At any hour, you could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right. That we were winning. And that I think was the handle. That sense of inevitable victory over the forces of old and evil. Not in any mean or military sense. We didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum. We were riding the crest, of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you go up on a steep hill in Cambridge* and look west. And with the right kind of eyes – you can almost see the high watermark – that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

*Okay, maybe this part is a leetle beet far-fetched.

Unfortunately I only have a steering wheel for my xbox and not PC and if I'm going to play a game like that I'd have to do it properly with expensive gear including a new pc, monitors, cockpit etc. ;)

rFactor2 (ISI based sims) is very enjoyable with just a keyboard actually, with steering assistance set to medium and steering speed sensitivity at 100%.

Last edited:
You're not forced into playing this game. If the flight model is not for you then the game might not be for you. I do not like the idea that we're not giving you full control of the ship. We're giving you exactly the right amount of control we want the game to have! Why are you arguing that we should do something to meet this apparent problem yet not using the same argument for everything else? You could argue that we're taking your ability away to create farm on a planet surface and live out your elite days growing crops just because we're not offering you that feature in the first place. We're giving you our game, with it's own rules and mechanics and no one can claim that we're taking something away from them because those rules and mechanic don't line up with peoples expectations or with other implementation in other games. We're innovating and improving on space game tropes to make the game fun and look great at the same time. We think we're succeeding at this and it'll be that confidence in our own product that will win over players. It's incredibly fortunate that the original Elite did it this way but even if it hadn't I would have strongly aimed the games flight model down this path regardless, realism be damned!

I don't know shadowman nor you but professionalism in hard to find in this.
reply's like this wont do the game any good.

...incoherent rant snipped...

I'm not sure why this was posted here, in a thread that appears not to have any posts relating to your rant, but I don't think this is the forum to complain about how the game isn't being developed along the lines you personally want it to be developed.

I'm not sure why this was posted here, in a thread that appears not to have any posts relating to your rant, but I don't think this is the forum to complain about how the game isn't being developed along the lines you personally want it to be developed.

The first passage of text is him quoting Mike Evans (without using the QUOTE-wrapper), the context for that post can be found here:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?p=225682#post225682

Can't access :p I will guess it is all about FBW?

Oops, yes that's taken from the Alpha Forum and yes it's about FBW. Basically, some people kept going on how "unbalanced" and "broken" the game was since yaw isn't as fast as pitch or roll. They also wondered how many posts it would take before anyone would recognize the "problem"...so Mike answered.

Oops, yes that's taken from the Alpha Forum and yes it's about FBW. Basically, some people kept going on how "unbalanced" and "broken" the game was since yaw isn't as fast as pitch or roll. They also wondered how many posts it would take before anyone would recognize the "problem"...so Mike answered.

I have no horse in this race, but I have heard both sides, and I can fully understand FD decision on this. Also I have heard same cries on SC forums. They were silenced that someone pointed out that SC will have probably very similar configuration :)

"Few people" were also on Game play features forum :)

Slow yaw can be easily described as ships having no clear "tail" part, therefore lacking yaw thrusters. It is design choice, and nothing broken or unbalanced about that. I have yet to play the game, but as I usually adapt my gameplay style to the game, not vice versa, I guess I will have no huge problems.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom