Meet the Team Meet the Team - Steve Kirby

Well given it has to be live elephants and the whole issue with cargo coming in 1 tonne lumps and elephants being 5 tonnes, the way to do it is put them in passenger cabins allowing 1 elephant for every 4 passengers which gives, no I didn't make it up, 42 elephants instead of 170 people.

Nice to see the return of "Meet the Team".

What has playing Elite Dangerous taught you that you didn't know before ?

Two things : 1) "Soon(tm)" --- 2) "It's TJ's fault" ---

Elephants ?

Real ? Soft toys ?

Last edited:
If we're talking specifics, I loved it when a Buckyballer wrecked his ship mid-race, drove his SRV halfway around a planet to find a port, bought a new ship and then finished the race. That's the mentality our community has - and we love it!

Fantastic examples there, hopefully the community can remind us of the Buckyballer's name! So, one more serious question before we get into a few fun ones. What have you learned from working on Elite Dangerous, that you haven't learned anywhere else?
The Buckyballer in question was @SushiCW (aka Cmdr Tannik Seldon).

You can read the whole story over here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...-mid-race-but-am-still-in-the-running.350723/

Looking back on this now I can see that this was probably the moment that set me on my own path of planetary circumnavigation in the SRV. The idea that you could this, that it was possible to actually drive half way around a planet, or indeed all the way around one! was an inspiration to me.

There's actually a tourist beacon down on the planet where this happened which commanders can visit to read the tale of Tannik Seldon's crazy adventure. As far as I know it's one of the longest pieces of tourist beacon text in the game. I can see now who we have at Frontier to thank for this! 😂

Note: for people interested in Buckyball Racing (and everyone should be, they're enormous fun, a terrific challenge and always a good learning experience) we have a new Buckyball Race starting next week called Se7en Sisters Speedway. Click the banner in my signature to find out more and take part.

You can read the whole story over here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...-mid-race-but-am-still-in-the-running.350723/

Looking back on this now I can see that this was probably the moment that set me on my own path of planetary circumnavigation in the SRV. The idea that you could this, that it was possible to actually drive half way around a planet, or indeed all the way around one! was an inspiration to me.

There's actually a tourist beacon down on the planet where this happened which commanders can visit to read the tale of Tannik Seldon's crazy adventure. As far as I know it's one of the longest pieces of tourist beacon text in the game. I can see now who we have at Frontier to thank for this! 😂

Note: for people interested in Buckyball Racing (and everyone should be, they're enormous fun, a terrific challenge and always a good learning experience) we have a new Buckyball Race starting next week called Se7en Sisters Speedway. Click the banner in my signature to find out more and take part.
That's a great video in that link, nicely done :)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkDeE_JPpfI

That's a nice interview format, Paige. I like the idea of the community being asked to reply in the thread. My answers..

Space is big. There's a moment in Elite which everyone remembers where they start zooming back the Galaxy Map until the whole of the swirling disc is visible. Even after playing this game since Beta it still shocks me to do that and to think that this is as close a representation of reality as possible. It's like the Total Perspective Vortex

For the second answer I'll take aRjay's answer to its logical conclusion. 5 tonnes per elephant and 786 tonnes of cargo space. So the most you could manage legally is from Anarchy System to Anarchy System, 157 elephants. Some assembly may be required

This is great, very humanising. More of this kind of stuff please :D

ED has put a sense of scale on the Solar system, our galaxy and planets in a way that is both educational and entertaining, it makes Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot' quote real. I love that the game is big enough that I can set myself huge challenges that take months to complete.

Last edited:
... Some assembly may be required
:LOL:

Enough to upholster most of Old Duck's spaceships with Elephant Butt Leather! 🥁🤣🐘
I know how much this means to you but that made me snort coffee

Edit:

That is brilliant, I love how when SuchiCW gets back to the ship they're straight into speed mode again o7

Last edited:
I wish people would keep this in mind when playing Elite and critiquing it. It's pretty rare to do, especially with a game with no direct prequels to build from. That other space game shows how badly these things can go wrong.

The fact that Elite is a live game is a really interesting and engaging design challenge, and one we strive to meet on a daily basis! We love that it's a live game, but it does come with it's own unique set of challenges when compared to say, an unreleased game. When you're working on a project that hasn't been released yet, you can adjust features without affecting the game for thousands of players, as only the developers get to see it. When it's a live game, you've got another level of visibility as the players are literally online, playing it at the time you're working on it. Online multiplayer is also challenging, because it requires you to design features that suit players who are flying in solo, or playing in groups. Then, you also need to account for players who approach the game in different ways!

Great interview, thanks for the insight :)

I learned flying FA off in space is waaaay more challenging than anticipated, so I learned so much more respect for the pilots who did and do so IRL. I knew it was hard but it still got me :D

As for the T-9... 790 ton capacity... African elephants vary from 3-6 tons and they would probably need some container to keep them safe and alive. A container for humans is 1 ton (weight of an escape pod or container with a slave). So lets assume the container for an elephant, including an elephant, would be proportionally bigger, lets say 50 tons. That means almost 16 fully grown elephants.

However, I guess for longer journeys you would have to keep them trunk-uilized :D

2 questions...

Where do i get a Thargoid Probe Plush and how much?

Im single and lonely, Spooning that every night would make life less sad.

This was a great read, thanks Steve and Paige :)

What has playing Elite Dangerous taught you that you didn't know before, and, how many live elephants can you legally fit into a Type 9?

Elite Dangerous has taught me to appreciate scale like never before. A true sense one is nothing more than a mere blip riding a never ending ocean of dark matter.

Ahh the elephants! Well, if the Keelback were named the ‘ARK’ and hopped between water worlds, 2x2 would be the answer.

3305 a Space Safari.

o7

Glad to hear that you're not going full Agile on your team - I never saw the point of two standup meetings per day.

But what I always wanted to ask - any relation to Josh Kirby (from the Discworld art fame)?

Top Bottom