Mega Cruise

Don't know why that name sounds silly, but it would great if we could go in between super and hyper cruise. Something to speed up long travels and maybe give you that extra speed to catch up to someone for an interdiction.

Though it shouldn't be usable near large gravity wells, only out in the void will this work best or even at all. And I would want this to devastate my fuel. This is not meant to be economic and could potentially leave you stranded. This is meant to mitigate time costs mainly but also give interdictions a bit of love.

As of right now all ships are the same speed (not handling though at least *shakes fist at T9*) and that makes catching up for an interdiction literally impossible with an exception. You have to wait until they get close to their destination planet, which in turn adds more frustration/difficulty because of loading stutters being near a planet.

I also think small ships need to have the best acceleration in "mega cruise". I just want the small ships to be even more viable (I know about the smuggling changes, looking forward to that as well)

So you're asking for a buffed super cruise?

SC is already balanced, no need for buffs.

Seriously. When you jump into a system with multiple stars you should be able to frameshift from star A to star B. Having to supercruise 450,000,000 light seconds IS NOT COOL!

Last edited:
Seriously. When you jump into a system with multiple stars you should be able to frameshift from star A to star B. Having to supercruise 450,000,000 light seconds IS NOT COOL!

I could not agree more, lost count of systems where I gave up exploring them for that reason, no need to change SC imho.

I think in-system jumps are actually a "thing" on dev list:

[...]
We definitely want to add a micro jump between stars within a system (not only does this fit in with the context of how the frame shift drive uses large bodies for navigation, it also helps significantly with those systems where you currently arrive around the "wrong" star, where civilisation has set up camp around a different star in the system).
[...]

There is no time frame for that though.

^ Cool! That's from February of this year, so while it's presumably not going to be in the next update, it's probably going to happen at some point. :)

what about a slingshot effect around the star to travel far distances? now that can be made whitout unbalancing the game no»?

what about a slingshot effect around the star to travel far distances? now that can be made whitout unbalancing the game no»?

Initially I thought this would be pretty neat too. I've read it a few times in the forums. But I think in the end it is not feasible. The way space propulsion works in-game and real life is different.

IRL if you are not changing velocity (vector... speed + direction) you do not need to consume fuel. You could travel for infinity at 200km/hr in a particular direction as long as you didn't approach anything that would disturb your path with 0 fuel cost. But let's say you wanted to slingshot past Jupiter to get to 300km/hr to get to... Neptune quicker. Sure you can.... and in the process use no fuel, or a very minimal amount to make small adjustments. In addition these are all sublight speeds.

Typically in a space game just to move forward uses fuel regardless if you change direction or speed. Also in ED the only time a player would use a slingshot of sorts is in SC because in sublight it would take forever to reach the planet surface. You would never accelerate because of gravitational forces. This is typically not accounted for in space games. Even if it were the end speed would still be sublight.

What about slingshoting in SC? Well the game mechanics prevent it. To get any noticeable difference in speed you would have to get close to the center of the gravity well... for one. Two, the object needs enough mass to produce a gravity well that will do something for an object travelling close to or faster than light. IDK the math but planet-sized objects might not do. The mechanics prevent it because nearby mass prevents the FSD compressing space to the degree it can out in the open. By default you will go slower as you approach planets and stars... I believe even if they are not targeted. And the path your ship might need to take might literally kill you from solar radiation, heat, the fact the path might need to be through the interior of the object, atmospheric friction if a planet is large enough to perform the task...

Long story short, we're probably not going to see this.

I'm not really talking about mini jumping to another star in the same system. I'm talking about essentially turning off the safety feature that prevents your FSD from speeding. This is mainly for shorter distances to planets and such far away enough to be considered a hassle and interdiction assist with a cost.
The FSD would probably get damaged resulting in malfunctions and the fuel would drain insanely quick. Think of it more like boosting in SC to get that small extra edge. This would also make SC races a bit more interesting.

Again, you do not have to do anything. The choice is yours to visit distant systems or not. No need to fix what isn't broken.

True but when going vast insystem distances you are effectively out-of-play, you are going far too fast to be intercepted and at that high speed you are unlikely to stop to look at a USS, it's just dead time.

I've previously advocated insystem jumps but on having played the game some more I'd be equally happy with an acceleration increase after you've got to a speed too high for interception, so (as an example) once you hit 200C your acceleration would massively increase and quickly get you up to (say) 2000C where you'd cruise for just a few minutes before slowing down again, this would get the Hutton Orbital trip down to under 30 minutes instead of the several hours it currently takes.

This method has the advantage of not needing any changes to the UI and would engage automatically once a set speed was exceeded and would still leave ships available for interception at each end of the trip.

I agree with Reckoner, that a slingshot effect would be desirable to assist going to far-off places. We space geeks know and like gravity slingshots, I believe it'd make a more stylish solution than their offering in-system minijumps for those spread out systems.
I -also- agree with Kyokushin and everyone saying that Supercruise and hyperjumps are good and balanced.

You guys inspired me into a proposal for a slingshot-like system, (it wouldn't use regular supercruising, it'd take control away for the duration of the slingshot, making the calculations for you) which I think would be... better than just having insystem hyperjumps, at least a touch more challenging. Certainly a touch more fun. Even if it makes no sense, we would like gravity slingshots, right?

Here's the proposal I wrote, (warning, wall of text) https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=139883&p=2141599#post2141599
Admiteddly, it's not meant for PvP, it's meant to help hitting those far-off places.

I agree with the consensus that SC for the most part is fine.

I do agree that it's a problem that if someone has a head start on you, you can never catch and interdict them. I think that with the interdictor's range, it's not usually that big of a deal though.

Top Bottom