Melanism: Where is it?

Melanism has still not been seen. I'm worried it won't even come. Also true albinos (with red eyes and everything) and other mutations haven't been reported. I would like it if a dev or somebody who has bred one to say if they are in. If not, I hope they are added.

Melanism has still not been seen. I'm worried it won't even come. Also true albinos (with red eyes and everything) and other mutations haven't been reported. I would like it if a dev or somebody who has bred one to say if they are in. If not, I hope they are added.

This little guy wants to know too.

I've actually seen a pic someone shared on a discord server of a cheetah that was born with no spots! First report of a genetic mutation in the game that isn't leucistic/albinism. So I guess they are out there.

I too was wondering where melanism is... Also can ALL species be "albino"? I've only see "albino" zebra, lion, Nile monitor, warthog, peafowl, grizzly, gorilla and bonobo... I haven't seen any white Crocs yet...

Hypermelanistic (also Melanistic) = increased black/dark pigment, e.g. black jaguars
Hypomelanistic = decreased black/dark pigment, e.g. leucistic animals, albinos, piebald

I'd love to see some more common colour variants out there - brown wolves, lighter vs darker lionesses, slightly darker/lighter tigers, etc. Albino, leucistic, piebald and hypermelanistic animals are all pretty rare, and shouldn't be occuring so often when the rest of the animals are carbon copies of one another.

They never announced it to be a feature, so if they decide to add it: It would be an extra..
Since we haven't seen one, and people have bred a lot animals - I wouldn't count on it....

I'd rather see that they focus on common colour variants for animals, if they have any intention of changing this..

Secret genetics is a very broad definition of in-game genetics,. Personally I feel that such features should be a surprise - I don't want a dev to confirm this.. In-game secrets are fun. Especially for the ones who discover it.

They made this big deal about "secret genetics" in the game and all we've been given is "albinos", most of which aren't actually albinos.

Don't know how to feel about that tbh :' )
They lied - sorry, said half truths, quite a bunch. 'Secret genetics' is basically just white reskins, animals have deficient pack structures, breeding feels like a miniclip flash game rather than a proper system, animals don't have much individual personality or visual difference except for stripes (and even those aren't even procedural, they're just a bunch of patterns that cycle), animal interactions are rare.

I can't be disappointed because there's no alternative, but Planet Zoo only opened up my appetite for a Zoo Tycoon 3 even more, from a developer that hasn't lied to me so far and I hold in high consideration. Frontier are in over their heads and borderline false advertised their product, lots of stuff people were expecting from their half-truths are missing.

Seriously, they had a 4 year development cycle and they're borderline AAA by this point. Lots of these small details would have been deeper and more appreciated than other meaningless details such as water puddles forming on boxes and such. Why waste time on that but not different colors and patterns? Or melanistic animals?

Last edited:
Secret genetics can stand for a lot of things, including behaviour, susceptibility to diseases or stress or just the secret system behind the four big stats (size, longevity, fertility and immunity).

It's honestly not frontiers fault if people come to weird conclusions... don't read announcements like personal wishlists...

Secret genetics can stand for a lot of things, including behaviour, susceptibility to diseases or stress or just the secret system behind the four big stats (size, longevity, fertility and immunity).

It's honestly not frontiers fault if people come to weird conclusions... don't read announcements like personal wishlists...

I think your last line sums it all up pretty well.. ...
They never mentioned albinism/melanism/leucism as a feature, some assumed all were in the game and now Frontier has lied somehow.
After the white African Buffalo and white Lemur pics, people assumed too much...

They never announced it to be a feature, so if they decide to add it: It would be an extra..
Since we haven't seen one, and people have bred a lot animals - I wouldn't count on it....

I'd rather see that they focus on common colour variants for animals, if they have any intention of changing this..

Secret genetics is a very broad definition of in-game genetics,. Personally I feel that such features should be a surprise - I don't want a dev to confirm this.. In-game secrets are fun. Especially for the ones who discover it.
That's definitely true. I agree that slight coat differences would be great. Especially for zebra; in reality you don't have to search for different stripe patterns because they are pretty obvious. Wolves definitely have different colors of fur. It would be nice if they each had their own coat, babies looked like their parents, all the things that WERE claimed to be in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom