Melanism: Where is it?

Tigers and cheetahs have different natural fur tones, Ive had more brownish vs more orange tigers and more greyish vs more golden cheetahs, but it is not super noticeable unless they are standing next to one another.

Tigers and cheetahs have different natural fur tones, Ive had more brownish vs more orange tigers and more greyish vs more golden cheetahs, but it is not super noticeable unless they are standing next to one another.
I don't think it would be that hard to randomize spots/stripes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

H
That's definitely true. I agree that slight coat differences would be great. Especially for zebra; in reality you don't have to search for different stripe patterns because they are pretty obvious. Wolves definitely have different colors of fur. It would be nice if they each had their own coat, babies looked like their parents, all the things that WERE supposed to be in the game.
How dare we create not so far fetched expectations for a Zoo game made in 2019?

I don't think it would be that hard to randomize spots/stripes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
They do have different spots and stripes also ontop of their fur colors.
These cheetahs are the same color, but have different markings.
0f06023513a57d5b8c4541c2ccc63fb8.png
1279e9a3933e5ab248404008ecfc29d4.png

Those look like a male vs a female.. :(
Yeah, this is what I mean by “no differentiation”. Do we have pictures of two females with different spot patterns, for example? Males and females always look different, but I’m talking specifically about variation within the same sex of a species.

I have males with the same patterns as the female... :l and ive also had another marking on the face where it has tears coming down the side of the face also.
Oh cool!! I’ll have to hope I get some variation like that too. Stoked that it does happen!

That's definitely true. I agree that slight coat differences would be great. Especially for zebra; in reality you don't have to search for different stripe patterns because they are pretty obvious. Wolves definitely have different colors of fur. It would be nice if they each had their own coat, babies looked like their parents, all the things that WERE claimed to be in the game.
There are some different stripe patterns for the zebra; trouble is it's barely noticeable from any distance. I'd prefer the way modders did variants in ZT2 where the different skins were actually obvious from a distance (distinctly different shades of fur/skin rather than just slightly different coat patterns).

Variations between the animals are currently too subtle - if people can barely notice them that defeats the point. They should make the differences more obvious.

bHRn0FG.jpg

One of my females tigers does have a clearly darker fur than the other ones. Compare with the "normal" ones, in the group pic is the left one a female and the one sitting alone. Their fur is much brighter and normal orange, the fur of the darker one looks more like brown.

Its darker because it's wet. Wet fur appears darker.
Yeah, just noticed it now myself, after I have moved her and suddenly she was brighter. 😅😂 Wondered how she did get wet though, cause she slept inside the cave and it did not rain. Shame, darker fur would be cool.

As i already said somewhere else,a friend of mine got the cheetah variant and it's called "albino" ingame.Really doesn't serve the educational value of the game very well.
I still even wonder if the whole spotless cheetah thing was a hoax in real life :)

But are there? When I heard about it here I googled it, and all I could find was a single supposed sighting in 2012.
Same. There's basically 3 photos from some guy in 2012 - you'd have thought there would be more information really. If you look up king cheetahs you get a tonne of photos.

Just seems odd to give us a spotless cheetah (basically mythical), instead of a king cheetah as a variant.
This is what it looks like in-game - just bought a cheap one as I was curious:

Last edited:
I actually just made a suggestion to add Melanism in the suggestion forums!

As there is no achievement for it like albinism, it's likely not in the game...yet. ;)

Top Bottom