Meta-Suggestions list 1.9 Edition (6th edition)

The problem with the base-game wolf is that it just representing the whole species means that it also includes the Arctic wolf, technically having that subspecies in the game twice.
i’d personally have the “timber” wolf be the type subspecies of Eurasia to stand out more from the already American Arctic wolf.

• Give prairie dogs and African wild dogs access to burrows. I'm sure there's more but I haven't made a comprehensive list yet.
I would say the following animals should be able to use the burrow:

Base game
  • African wild dog
  • Chinese pangolin
  • Common warthog
  • Nile monitor
  • Spotted hyena
  • Timber wolf

Of these, the wild dog, warthog, monitor and hyena all use old aardvark burrows, the wolf routinely uses old badger burrows as dens in Europe and the pangolin digs its own burrows.

Australia Pack
  • Dingo

Aquatic Pack
  • Cuvier's dwarf caiman
  • Giant otter

Dwarf caiman use their burrows both to shelter their young and also to hide away from the worst effects of dry season weather, so I think they should be able to use it.

Africa Pack
  • Fennec fox
  • Meerkat

I also considered the African penguin, but they tend to not have a communal burrow and it is solely used for breeding, unlike the other animals.

North America Animal Pack
  • American alligator
  • American beaver
  • Arctic fox
  • Black-tailed prairie dog

I was surprised to learn that alligators dig dens, sometimes in forests a long distance from water - the picture below shows the entrance to an alligator burrow in Georgia:
1641817626984.png

Link: http://www.georgialifetraces.com/tag/science-education/page/2/

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with the base-game wolf is that it just representing the whole species means that it also includes the Arctic wolf, technically having that subspecies in the game twice.
i’d personally have the “timber” wolf be the type subspecies of Eurasia to stand out more from the already American Arctic wolf.
Doesn't the colouration and model resemble the Mackenzie Valley Wolf more? With a remodel and resize it could easily be renamed to Eurasian Wolf, but for now an ambiguous name might be better, even though the taxonomic double representation bugs me a lot.
Cheetahs are not as adapted to climbing as for instance leopards, but they can most certainly climb and climb trees in real life. There's more than enough videos and pictures where you can see cheetahs climb, albeit they usually need a small jump to get up the tree initially. The EAZA manual even mentions that they climb fences.

So given all that, asking for the cheetahs to climb in this game, with climbing being the compromised game system as it is, is a fair thing to ask.
Cheetahs cannot climb. Their claws are semi retractable
The only way I can see this work is if they add some sort of lookout type enrichment item where a variety of animals can use, otherwise with the current climbing system in the game Cheetahs are going to look really out of place as they can't really climb from a standstill, they either "run up" short trees or "hug" them while getting down.

Speaking of climbing fences, for instance, even Crocodilians and Turtles can "climb" fences, so that's not really a good comparison.

Last edited:
Doesn't the colouration and model resemble the Mackenzie Valley Wolf more? With a remodel and resize it could easily be renamed to Eurasian Wolf, but for now an ambiguous name might be better, even though the taxonomic double representation bugs me a lot.
Frontier's "timber" wolf seems to share a bit of overlap in design with both Mackenzie/Northwestern wolves and Eurasian/common wolves (while also having its own inaccuracies to boot). Dr. José Castelló has some great references from his book Canids of the World that I'll share here.
unknown.png

Northwestern wolves generally seem to be the leaner of the 2 subspecies, as even with their winter coat they're not very robust. Note the melanistic morph in the image, which I'm assuming isn't in PZ because it's a result in breeding with domestic dogs and not something originating from the wolf's genetics.
unknown.png

The common wolf here is far more robust, though its summer coat makes it look disproportionately skinnier than the summer coat. Eurasian wolves also have a brown/pseudo-erythristic morph not present as starkly in Mackenzie wolves. I do believe this is a variant present in PZ's wolves, however (though not to the same extent).

In anycase, the main grey-ish colour for both of these subspecies is extremely similar.

Frontier's "timber" wolf seems to share a bit of overlap in design with both Mackenzie/Northwestern wolves and Eurasian/common wolves (while also having its own inaccuracies to boot). Dr. José Castelló has some great references from his book Canids of the World that I'll share here.
unknown.png

Northwestern wolves generally seem to be the leaner of the 2 subspecies, as even with their winter coat they're not very robust. Note the melanistic morph in the image, which I'm assuming isn't in PZ because it's a result in breeding with domestic dogs and not something originating from the wolf's genetics.
unknown.png

The common wolf here is far more robust, though its summer coat makes it look disproportionately skinnier than the summer coat. Eurasian wolves also have a brown/pseudo-erythristic morph not present as starkly in Mackenzie wolves. I do believe this is a variant present in PZ's wolves, however (though not to the same extent).

In anycase, the main grey-ish colour for both of these subspecies is extremely similar.
Not really. It is pretty generic, and deliberately so.
Thanks for sharing. The pelage does indeed overlap quite a bit and can quite easily represent both Wolves. On the other hand, the game's taller and leaner legged Wolves appear to resemble the Mackenzie Wolf better in overall shape, which seems to be backed up by the names in some of the languages the game has. However, I'm happy that the Timber Wolf in the game is pretty generic so that it can be used in any context. The one thing that still bothers me is the Zoopedia doesn't specify them as the Holarctic forest ecotype, even describes the term Timber Wolf as a synonym for the entire species, the Grey Wolf, which causes the Arctic Wolf and even Dingo to be represented twice. Perhaps a clarification of ecotypes in Zoopedia can eliminate this double taxonomic representation issue.

I'd like to see many of the smaller plant items have no hitbox at all. It would solve a lot of issues from the walking on lillypads to the short grasses and flowers causing movement issues in smaller habitats. There'd be occasional clipping but there is already that in some instances. I'd also be willing to tolerate tail clipping in favor of reducing the hit box for komodo dragons, most of the gators and etc. In the real world they are able to bend those tails and I understand implementing that animation could be not worth it but the hit box sizes for long, flat ainimals is a little ridiculous.

Oh - I found out recently that you can't switch 'off' the light for the new european candle holder/cut out lamps (or whatever they're called). One version has little hearts? They still light up at night even if you turn the switch to always off.

Last edited:
Wanted to add another issue with Formosan Black Bear, it has its mouth open all the time and it looks really weird like that, I suppose that's not intended so hopefully it can be fixed.

How about some new barriers
Wooden post fence like what is used for horses and cattle
Iron bar barrier like In ZT2
I’m sure the other people have more suggestions for new Barriers in which to keep animals in those are just some of choices.

Oh, and please Frontier!Gods ... make the SA temple ruins flexicolor (the flavor shapes, not the basic wall pieces - though them too, in fact) ! I love the idea of the broken walls and ruined staircases and such but the fact they're this off white limits their use. Like why are there some flexicolor broken pillars and such but not the walls and corners and stairs?

IMO The ‘Timber Wolf’ represents the general temperate forest ecotype of the Grey Wolf. I disagree that the colouration and size are particularly more representative of the Mackenzie Valley wolf - both size and colouration vary substantially within subspecies and in the game and there is very substantial overlap in morphology among subspecies. I think Timber wolf is a reasonable term since it is a common name that applies to several subspecies that share the generic temperate forest wolf morphology.

I would at the very least like them to give the "timber" wolf a subspecies name, just so the Arctic wolf isn't represented twice in the game

I would at the very least like them to give the "timber" wolf a subspecies name, just so the Arctic wolf isn't represented twice in the game
Again, I disagree because the ‘Timber wolf’ represents multiple subspecies that share morphological and ecological characteristics. Applying any single sub specific name would drastically reduce the flexibility of the animal since the range would be very, very substantially reduced.

Well, that's the reality of things. If the game wants to portray animals accurately, it has to accept sacrifices like that. Animals should be judged by their phylogeny, not their external appearances.

Continent wise, having it be the Eurasian/common wolf would be the most flexible option.

Top Bottom