Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

In general, I would like to have more info and stats for each airplane in the airplane selection screen. Stuff like stall speeds, max dive speed, etc, like in IL-2.
You can always google them and print them out like you would normally. The aircraft are the same as the real ones. At least that's what they're telling us.

Actually, this is a great idea for the evening. To try and find out it these things really match the RL. :)

This game is just plain beautiful.

20200917224549_1.jpg

20200917224548_1.jpg

Yes it is...

Doing a little jaunt in the Caribbean at the moment, got my timings a bit off and while the sunset was lovely, unfortunately it seems like they don't have lights at Douglas Charles Airport on Dominica... Despite giving clearance to land. :oops:

Well, I'm not proud, and being all powerful and all that I changed the time of day. Amazing how much easier landing is when you can see the runway! :ROFLMAO:

Here you go a tour of the Scottish Islands and mainland, starting in the Western Isles (Lewis) at Stornoway, heading south and east via a few islands to Glasgow before heading to the south west corner and turning east across the Borders. We are then turning north to head up towards (but not into) Edinburgh, passing over Fife into Perthshire, up to Aberdeenshire and then the Moray coast. From here we head west past Inverness before heading back east to Balone Castle. Now we head north to Wick and then leave the mainland for the Orkneys and the Oil Terminal at Flotta. From here we head north east over Mole HD's farm on Sanday heading for the remote outpost of Fair Isle. We then do the short hop up to Shetland and start our tour at Sumburgh, visiting the northernmost outpost Unst before heading back via Foula and then the long hop over the Atlantic back to Stornoway.

22 legs in all (1063NM) , no hop longer than 125NM (last one) and most in the 35-55NM range.

Until we can get an editor to create these "Bush Trips", this spreadsheet text file (won't allow me to attach a spreadsheet!) will have to do!

There are plenty of options to deviate/extend the trip from some of these stop-offs. E.g. drop into Ireland from Tiree etc.

PM me for spreadsheet if you would prefer it...

Attachments

• Scottish Tour.txt
    930 bytes · Views: 165
Last edited:
Unfortunately Flight Simulator does not play with 3DMigoto :( I had big plans of changing green trees into orange and red trees so I could enjoy a proper New England autumn, but I guess it's not meant to be...

Unfortunately Flight Simulator does not play with 3DMigoto :( I had big plans of changing green trees into orange and red trees so I could enjoy a proper New England autumn, but I guess it's not meant to be...

Seasons are part of the roadmap, so you may still get your wish.

Seasons are part of the roadmap, so you may still get your wish.

Seasons will be a challenge at a global scale, since not every latitude has recognisable "seasons" per se (i.e. Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn) - more just "Rain" or "Dry". Be interesting to see how they handle that - and presumably they can be pre-set like the weather.

Some real life arrivals into Saba... It would seem the prevailing wind means they often land from the north west which looks even more challenging than from the east. I approached it from the west one time and went around. :p

There's a couple of other vids on google maps if you select 'the saba flight deck'.

Looks like they'll need to do nothing if they want to match my local reality this year. 😥 (18th September, almost 30 °C during the day, flies and mosquitoes as it was mid-July).

Doing a little jaunt in the Caribbean at the moment, got my timings a bit off and while the sunset was lovely, unfortunately it seems like they don't have lights at Douglas Charles Airport on Dominica... Despite giving clearance to land. :oops:

Already had a night landing on an airport with no lights, it was odd, only made it because the Garmin panel showed the runway...

It's weird we can get landing permission at night to a pitch dark airport, but the game recognizes low visibility weather and denies VFR landings accordingly. Makes me wonder if those runways are really supposed to be dark or if it's just a bug...

Last edited:
So, I made a decision on my controls - I am getting rid of the T.Flight through the store buyback and get an Airbus stick only (same price, no cost swap). I will set it up for left hand flying and will operate the thrust plus vital controls with KB+M.

Once VR is a thing, I will just turn right at my desk, continue to have the stick in left hand and ample space to operate everything else in the cockpit with touch control. It will be very immersive in the A320. :)

Well I am half-way around my Scottish Tour linked above. Interesting as the wind yesterday was an easterly and quite strong but the weather was glorious. The old RAF bases I chose are now closed so landing at them is fun! I am at Scone in Perthshire, ready for my stint up the north-east and off to the Islands. I hope the weather holds. :)

Well I am half-way around my Scottish Tour linked above. Interesting as the wind yesterday was an easterly and quite strong but the weather was glorious. The old RAF bases I chose are now closed so landing at them is fun! I am at Scone in Perthshire, ready for my stint up the north-east and off to the Islands. I hope the weather holds. :)

What plane are you using for this trip?

Reason I ask is that I finally had a chance to fire this game up and actually play yesterday, and decided to do the Yosemite bush trip. It's in a Cub. First leg (the longest of all of them, winding through the Sierra Nevada mountains... glorious) which takes about an hour (they say 41 minutes, but they lie) went well... found all the various turnoffs I was supposed to take and didn't need the "Get Me Back On Track" option... only to finally facepalm the runway at the end due to the plane tipping over when stationary! TWICE!!!

Third time was finally the charm and I finally managed to get the plane to stop whilst still upright.

I decided four things yesterday.

1) 3rd person flying is a lot easier than 1st person, plus you see more. This now includes landing!
2) I hate the Cub.
3) Yosemite is beautiful...
4) I hate the Cub.

Still, I'm going to carry on today with hopefully the next couple of legs which are shorter. Once that's complete, I'll be doing your trip... although I may modify it slightly to take in more of the east coast where I'm from.

20200919205404_1-hd.jpg

20200919210927_1-hd.jpg

Edit: Also, if you want to know what a drunk Latvian looks like whilst flying, this should answer your questions (warning: language, Timothy)

Last edited:
The Yosemite bush trip does indeed have some lovely scenery. Quite a bit of it covers places I am familiar with, although not as a pilot - I'm not one... :) And as I said in an earlier post, one of the stops is literally a few miles from where I live. We are actually right under the flight path into the runway.

It took me a while to warm up to the cub, and yes, if you brake too hard while taxiing, even quite slowly, it has a tendency to facepalm. I actually used that 'feature' a couple of times so I could restart a leg where I did end up getting lost. But it's a very versatile plane and I actually quite came to like it. There are a few legs that length, and one longer one, Manzanar to Madame. Also, the final leg into Yosemite is quite a challenge but with quite stunning scenery.

Taildraggers are all prone to facepalming (and have bad visibility when taxiing), and I guess we're "lucky" that the propellers don't seem to have a collision model, I lost count of how many botched flights I had on IL-2 just from leaning forward too much and wrecking the propeller blades on landing and sometimes even before taking off :)

Last edited:
What plane are you using for this trip?

Reason I ask is that I finally had a chance to fire this game up and actually play yesterday, and decided to do the Yosemite bush trip. It's in a Cub. First leg (the longest of all of them, winding through the Sierra Nevada mountains... glorious) which takes about an hour (they say 41 minutes, but they lie) went well... found all the various turnoffs I was supposed to take and didn't need the "Get Me Back On Track" option... only to finally facepalm the runway at the end due to the plane tipping over when stationary! TWICE!!!

Third time was finally the charm and I finally managed to get the plane to stop whilst still upright.

I decided four things yesterday.

1) 3rd person flying is a lot easier than 1st person, plus you see more. This now includes landing!
2) I hate the Cub.
3) Yosemite is beautiful...
4) I hate the Cub.

Still, I'm going to carry on today with hopefully the next couple of legs which are shorter. Once that's complete, I'll be doing your trip... although I may modify it slightly to take in more of the east coast where I'm from.

Edit: Also, if you want to know what a drunk Latvian looks like whilst flying, this should answer your questions (warning: language, Timothy)

The club really needs the brakes to be on an axis. Using a button is fine on some planes but will indeed tip planes like the Cub. :/

The club really needs the brakes to be on an axis. Using a button is fine on some planes but will indeed tip planes like the Cub. :/

After my second crash, I did a few test landings in the Cub and found that I have to brake and pull back on the stick until it stops. That works. If you don't, you'll just tip forward and hit the tarmac - game over.

Top Bottom