Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

Anybody here fly the Beechcraft King Air? If so, does the cockpit display support a wind reading option (as in PFD options that I can set in all the other glass cockpits I fly), and if so, how do I find it! :oops:

Also - and this is merely an observation, not a complaint - it has by far the worst cockpit interaction in VR of any of the planes I've flown, many switches / knobs very flaky when trying to select them, and some things such as scrolling the display impossible. Otherwise, actually a really nice plane to fly. :)

Thanks, I guess that makes sense really.

Another question I asked myself in recent weeks is for RL pilots I suppose they will largely be grounded during winter months due to the weather conditions i.e. if they're flying planes that are not equipped with de-icing gear (the 152 for example has pitot heat but no canopy/windscreen de-icing unlike say the TBM930) and as such aren't legally allowed to take off - not sure if they can still lift off if the weather is cold but otherwise clear?

It's something that affects me quite often now as I usually fly with live weather, and in the northern hemisphere (at least where I want to fly) is largely wintery at the moment.

The Pilot's Operation Handbook for the Cessna 152 and the 172 specifically states:

" Flight into known icing conditions is prohibited "

Not quite. It's on the Fe Ex truck zooming around my local area "out for delivery" as we speak but I'm a trifle skeptical because we're at the tail end of a pretty severe winter storm and delivery drivers don't like coming to my place when the roads are too icy. There's a rather large hill to climb/descend. I'll give a status update as soon as I know:)

Good luck. My new PC was delayed a week due to a severe winter storm (that was UPS, not FedEx), as in it was just a few miles from my house for the best part of that week. Still when it did arrive it didn't disappoint at all, and I'm sure your Virpil gear won't disappoint either. :)

Well World Update 3 (UK and Ireland) is released. The initial MS Store update (1GB?) came through quickly but this 23.38GB actual game update is taking its time - whether because of server load or the fragmented structure of it I don't know.

Release (patch) notes:

Well World Update 3 (UK and Ireland) is released. The initial MS Store update (1GB?) came through quickly but this 23.38GB actual game update is taking its time - whether because of server load or the fragmented structure of it I don't know.

Release (patch) notes:

Yeh, you know it's a serious MS update when it comes in at over 23GB ;-)

My Virpil order has just arrived (they had to delay and schedule the final leg with a 4-wheel drive truck), a total of five boxes containing stick, throttle, base and several mounting brackets. You don't even want to know how much it cost. The irony is that I'm in the middle of siding a house by myself (normally a 2-4 person job) and I wont be able to give it a proper spin for a few weeks if I'm lucky.

Yeh, you know it's a serious MS update when it comes in at over 23GB ;-)

Happily, now that the "bitty" stuff has passed, the files now are roaring in -174 of 175 (97%) and it is using all my meagre 50Mb conneciton.

WooHoo! installation complete - so that was about 2 hours.

Last edited:
Mine was over 35 GB! Mainly because I've reinstalled the game a couple of times, and when you do that, it doesn't download everything by default - only a couple of planes, no training stuff, no bush trips... But for whatever reason the update decides it should install everything.

Anyway, downloaded it, the installed the UK update (another 4+ GB). Did one flight over the UK, adjusted time to daylight but stuck with live weather, and it was cloudy and overcast so couldn't actually see any of the scenery (except a glimpse of Twickenham stadium through the clouds). :LOL: Ah, that takes me back...

I think they must be making sure that they leave plenty of scope for scenery addon vendors. At least Barra (EGPR) is in the sim now but it is woeful and they have a puddle in front of the terminal that the sim detects as a crash into the sea if you get a wheel in it. Also Benbecula (EGPL) has the Balivanich windmill located right on the glide path of 06. I only did a flight from Barra to Benbecula (cos the "crash into the puddle" also gave a CTD on selecting restart) and South Uist is okish, hills too low, roads not quite there and no chance of seeing places like Daliburgh or Lochboisdale - but the machair looked not bad and at least the islands are not covered in forest.

EDIT - seems I mistakenly thought the UK and Ireland update had installed - WRONG - needed to install that separately in the marketplace so that observation and these images are completely wrong. Sorry.

Barra, EGPR:

the update replaces this with a correct terminal
barra.jpg

Benbecula, EGPL:

the update still has this windmill
ben.jpg

Last edited:
I think they must be making sure that they leave plenty of scope for scenery addon vendors. At least Barra (EGPR) is in the sim now but it is woeful and they have a puddle in front of the terminal that the sim detects as a crash into the sea if you get a wheel in it. Also Benbecula (EGPL) has the Balivanich windmill located right on the glide path of 06. I only did a flight from Barra to Benbecula (cos the "crash into the puddle" also gave a CTD on selecting restart) and South Uist is okish, hills too low, roads not quite there and no chance of seeing places like Daliburgh or Lochboisdale - but the machair looked not bad and at least the islands are not covered in forest.

Barra, EGPR:

View attachment 208695

Benbecula, EGPL:

View attachment 208696
Puddle, it does rain a lot ;-)

Release (patch) notes:

Did you get it ? I had to reset my PC half way thru, and it survived to download the other 9.9GB. But now I'm stuck (over 2 hrs now) decompressing the 2nd to last (large) file :-(

For me, the 23GB took about 2 hours, but then a further hour to download the UK update from the store (5GB). I have a pretty fast (350Mbit) internet connection.

By the time it had all finished, it was too late to play. Saving it for the weekend.

Did you get it ? I had to reset my PC half way thru, and it survived to download the other 9.9GB. But now I'm stuck (over 2 hrs now) decompressing the 2nd to last (large) file :-(

Since in your preceding post you quoted my mini-test of the updated sim I guess that maybe I did.

... Actually it seems I needed to make a further install of the actual UK &Ireland part. sorry

Last edited:
Well, I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. Bearing in mind that I play in VR and so my graphics settings are medium at best even with my new PC, I've done a couple of flights now over the updated UK landscape, and IMHO it's really very good.

After the first cloud covered flight I then set the weather preset to clear skies and flew over the Kent countryside from Biggin Hill, following the M25 around and spotting familiar locations (I spent most of my life there, but still failed to recognize the town where my house is o_O - I shall definitely be going back to see if I can spot it.) before heading up to land at London City Airport.

Then just now I did a flight from Glasgow to Edinburgh, real time, live weather (22 knot winds) which obliged me to fly around the airport and land from the east, flying over what I presume are the Edinburgh docks and the three Firth of Forth crossings which all looked great to me.

Both of these flights were in Cessnas, so a couple of thousand feet at most, and the scenery looks great, the buildings look remarkably good and I've even got some traffic on the roads, which also look really good, remembering that they often just looked like grey ribbons before the updates.

I've also noticed that the runway / taxiway signage seems larger and clearer. I cannot speak for the 'realism' of the airports themsleves, and anyway, because VR I still have AI and airport traffic set pretty low so while they aren't completely deserted they tend to be quiet.

All in all, these scenery updates while they may not quite get to photorealistic, especially in VR, they are IMO very good, and when I fly over places that I'm familiar with either in the UK, or the USA where I currently live, I can spot specific golf courses, shopping areas and roads, and of course natural landmarks, and it's pretty impressive. :)

Last edited:
Is this the update BEFORE you download the UK content separately from the store? If so, I don't understand why these updates are so big... I totally get that the UK scenery would be gigabytes, but all these scenery updates are optional and require their own large downloads, so why is the core update this big? It can take me a couple of days to fully update MSFS just to get back to flying over my own part of the world (USA), during which time my gaming computer is all tied up, because unlike Steam, these updates hardly download "in the background". MSFS is the only game that requires 100% CPU to download a file from the Internet. I find it quite frustrating..

Is this the update BEFORE you download the UK content separately from the store? If so, I don't understand why these updates are so big... I totally get that the UK scenery would be gigabytes, but all these scenery updates are optional and require their own large downloads, so why is the core update this big? It can take me a couple of days to fully update MSFS just to get back to flying over my own part of the world (USA), during which time my gaming computer is all tied up, because unlike Steam, these updates hardly download "in the background". MSFS is the only game that requires 100% CPU to download a file from the Internet. I find it quite frustrating..

Well that is embarrassing ... I thought the 23-odd GB download included the UK update - seems it didn't - I am NOW downloading the 4.93GB UK and Ireland content. I wondered why @Juniper was referring to further downloading from the store.

So - for anyone else as thick as me - after the main (big) update - you have to go to the marketplace, select free content and then the UK & Ireland update tile - click the buy (it is free) and download.

Sorry for confusing people.

Top Bottom