Minimum size?

So according to the user guide, the minimum size for an object is 0.5m on one axis and 0.01 on the other two. This seems to be true when attempting to upload smaller however I have seen numerous items on the workshop that are smaller. The assets I'm trying to make need to be smaller than 0.5m and the only way around it I've found is to add a plane that can be sunk into a wall which is less than ideal. Any ideas?

I have never attempted this in practice, but i can think of several ways to bypass the restriction:
  1. If TMTK calculates the size the same way e. g. Blender does, you can just add a random vertex in 0.5m distance which is not connected to anything.
  2. If (1) does not work, add a triangle somewhere and give it a material with an all-black opacity map to make it invisible.
In both cases i'd recommend adding a custom Hitcheck-Object only covering the actual object to make the ingame-collisions work as intended.

I'd also like adding that many items may seem as though they are smaller than 0.5m, but i noticed items ingame often feel way smaller than they actually are.

I have never attempted this in practice, but i can think of several ways to bypass the restriction:
  1. If TMTK calculates the size the same way e. g. Blender does, you can just add a random vertex in 0.5m distance which is not connected to anything.
  2. If (1) does not work, add a triangle somewhere and give it a material with an all-black opacity map to make it invisible.
In both cases i'd recommend adding a custom Hitcheck-Object only covering the actual object to make the ingame-collisions work as intended.

I'd also like adding that many items may seem as though they are smaller than 0.5m, but i noticed items ingame often feel way smaller than they actually are.

Great ideas, thank you! I'll give them a try.

yes the random vertex is the best way to go about it but, keep in mind LOD rendering is done by Object Mass. So if the object is really small it will only render in game for 8m then completely disappear once you move the camera out side of 8m.

Hello,
I have a question about the theme maker toolkit. I tried looking online for the answer and could not find it so I am hoping that someone can help me.

I bought planet coaster about 6 months ago, and recently started playing around with the toolkit.

I am noticing that toolkit files sizes, when uploaded to the steam workshop range from .05 mb up to 12mb, based on textures and 3D rendering.
I was wondering if when people download items from the workshop (tmtk items). Does the file size shrink or compress when they are used in a planet coaster park.

Here is where my mind is...
let’s take for instance, a downloadable park blueprint from the steam workshop
The “Tragic Kingdom” park is a good example to use.
Tragic kingdom has a file size of around 26mb for the entire park. A lot of users have problems with this park running on their computer and graphics card because of the size and data associated with it. 26mb will just lead to stuttering and horrible FPS. (I am not sure if any tmtk items are used in this park)

Now say that I wanted a I wanted 3 or 4 tmtk pieces from the steam workshop to add into a regular self made park, but those tmtk pieces are 3,4 and 5mb a piece. Computer math tells me that if I used 5 or 6 different prices than I am at around 20-30mb for a park with only a couple of tmtk pieces. The same size as an entire blueprint park.

Ergo, the question. Does the tmtk items get smaller or compress once installed in a park or does the mb info associated with the item stay the same size as it says in the workshop.
--More or less, if I wanted to add a toolkit creation like a crab for a pirate park from the workshop and it says the crab is a 3mb file. Will It always register in a park at 3mb?

Like I said, I tried to look up the answer on the net, but couldn’t really define nothing definitive.
Thank you in advance for any answers or advice

AIbEiAIAAABDCOKWzenj7u_5AyILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKGU5MGZmMGM1ZTQzYTlkMTlmYjRiYzU0ZmEyNmYyZDQ3NTdhYmY3NDEwActBYblnhsw6zE445UUDV4XIQ1Yw

Hi d1sruptive1,

this isn't really the correct topic for your question (this thread is about item size in terms of dimensions, not memory).
However, to answer your question: As far as i am aware, (park) blueprints only contain references to TMTK items. When you e. g. start a downloaded sandbox park for the first time, Planco will prompt you to download the TMTK items it uses. You can still start the sandbox without them. This would mean the TMTK items don't actually add to the file size of blueprints using them, it only stores the reference (most likely consisting of coordinates, rotation, color choices and some identifier). The reason blueprints/parks with high file sizes become so laggy is simply because they must contain a lot of scenery/terrain/rides/everything to make the file size that big.

Last edited:
I may have discovered a workaround to object mass issues but further testing needs to be done to confirm this. When in the uploader set the object type to "Wall Decorations" this option seems to hold up to LOD3 a lot longer in the games zoom out view before completely disappearing on objects smaller then 0.05 with a random vertex of 1.00 ;) Cheers.

Top Bottom