Mining Ship Questions

Being that I'm still out exploring since the whole big changes occurred last year with mining and exploration, etc, I have yet to touch the new (well used to be new) mining styles.

I currently have 2 mining ships that were outfitted for the old mining way. T-10 in the bubble and a Python in Colonia.

With all the new changes, my first question is the old Painite style mining from before the patch still the exact same? Or was there changes to that method? I'd like to keep one ship with that old style mining (strip) if possible.

The second questions is for the Deep Core mining ship. It seems now with the new tools and such and placement of where they need to be located for maximum effect, that a ship like my T-10 might not be that good for that style. If credits weren't an object (which in my case haven't been for years), what is the ultimate best possible ship to use for the Deep Core mining? I'd hate it to be the Corvette as I hate how long the nose when mining, if it is the Corvette, what are the other top tier ships for Deep Core?

Looking forward to trying out the new mining finally after finally ending yet another long exploration trip(s)...

You can still mine the old fashioned way. In addition to your classic mining equipment (prospector, collectors and refinery) for core mining you need to pick up a pulse wave scanner in utility mounts and a seismic charge launcher and an abrasion blaster in hard points. Plus a detailed surface scanner in core internals to locate hotspots.

Python will do fine.

Search youtube for tutorials.

Let's see...

Firstly, if you had a T10 that could laser-mine, it'll still be pretty-much as useful.
You'll probably need/want to fit it with a DSS so you can locate hotspots and you might want to fit the new mining tools as well, just in case you get the urge to do some DC mining as well as laser mining.

Secondly, how you do DC mining is really a matter of personal taste.
Some people seem to like doing it in big, slow, ships and collect 500+ tonnes of VOs in one go.
Frankly, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.
It's possible but it takes ages to collect 500t of VOs and it's a lot easier to do in an agile ship that can zip around 'roids quickly to place charges etc.
That being the case, I reckon it's better to go VO mining in a Python, collect 128t in a bit over an hour, get them sold and you'll still feel like having another go at it.

My T10 Miner: https://s.orbis.zone/3pwr
Has all the mining toys and some guns.
I can do DC mining in it but I usually just go laser-mining Painite in it and I use the other toys if I happen to stumble on a Painite DC 'roid.
It doesn't have quite as many limpets as it used to but it still works okay.
Also, cargo capacity is limited to 256t so I can fly it back to a station, swap all my cargo into a Python and then fly that to market.
And so I don't lose the will to live while attempting to collect 512t of ore.

My Python Miner: https://s.orbis.zone/3lz6
Has Seizmic launcher and Abrasion Blaster for DC mining and a mining laser in case I stumble on a LTD 'roid while looking for DC VO 'roids.
Has weapons to see off irritating pirates.
Nice and zippy for getting stuff done. Makes buzzing around 'roids to target fissures a doddle.
128t Cargo is just right for me. Doesn't take too long to fill and earns me Cr200m per trip.

+EDIT+

Oh, the other important thing, which I forgot about, is related to Refineries.

They changed the way collecting works so you can create an "Ignore List", so your collectors don't pick up any old junk and dump it into your Refinery.
That, in turn, means you can easily manage with a C2/C3 refinery now.
All you need to do is fire a mining laser at a 'roid, see what shakes loose then look at the Contacts tab of your left-HUD, select a fragment and then select "Add to Ignore List".
Takes a while to compile your Ignore List but once it's done it means you'll only ever pick up LTDs, VO's, and all the expensive "ites".... or whatever you choose to leave off the Ignore List.
No more having to constantly flush junk out of your Refinery to make space for the good stuff.

Last edited:
Laser mining no longer need to drop into RES locations. As Stealthy said, equip a DSS and drop into a hot spot. You'll get the obligatory hello from a pirate, who will move on when he sees you have only limpets.

Ship selection all comes down to how much time you want to invest per session. You'll get harassed by pirates if you multi-session in a roid ring, so keep in mind your mining session longevity.

I go for a T9 for lasers, although a T10 will do just as good a job (I like your setup Stealthy).

An AspX for core mining - 100t is about my patience limit

I find core mining more engaging. Plenty of good tutorial vids around. This is a great Guide to Mining

An AspX for core mining - 100t is about my patience limit

Yep, the AspX makes a terrific little mining ship.

Mine "only" have 64t cargo space but, jeez, it's a Cr30m ship (less if you don't buy all the spendy parts) that can earn you Cr100m in about 45 minutes.
What's not to like?! :p
I have 3 of them dotted aroud the bubble and I just transfer them to anywhere I see a likely looking mining spot.

Yep, the AspX makes a terrific little mining ship.

Mine "only" have 64t cargo space but, jeez, it's a Cr30m ship (less if you don't buy all the spendy parts) that can earn you Cr100m in about 45 minutes.
What's not to like?! :p
I have 3 of them dotted aroud the bubble and I just transfer them to anywhere I see a likely looking mining spot.

Yeah, they are cheap to transport. Nice idea having a few clones around.

Ok taken the notes and thanks everyone. I'll leave my T-10 for Painite mining and add a DSS then and then just focus on importing the needed items for the Python in Colonia and convert that to the Deep Core with a DSS (using the Python Build from Stealthie's link above as a guide). That is unless Colonia now has the needed tools for Deep Core.

With Refinery size, the filter I think was there before the last version update. I was using that on my combat ships for mats as well as my SRV, so thought it was implemented before for mining as well if I recall.

Now I do love the Asp and love the maneuverability and think I have 3 or 4 fully engineered ones out there around. Might compare that to the Python then and see what works the best, though both I really like still.

And yest the main reason I want to try the Deep Core, as it does seem more fun from all the tutorials I have saved over the past 6+ months and read up (and forgot) about as I was intending to jump into it before I decided to do Distant Worlds II.

Again lots of helpful tips here that should get me on my way and will get to it when I return back from the Bubble to Colonia then...

Now, you can buy everything necessary here at Colonia. Large majority of A rated stuff is available at Jacques stations and couple of other things (like A rated shield boosters) at stations around.

Now, you can buy everything necessary here at Colonia. Large majority of A rated stuff is available at Jacques stations and couple of other things (like A rated shield boosters) at stations around.

Well all my fleet in Colonia is all engineered and A Rated already, it's just the extra stuff for the Deep Core mining that I'd need and don't think any of those need engineering anyways, though think I already have the engineers rep already done for Colonia too in case...

I havent seent anyone mention the FDL or the Beluga.

( the Beluga is actually very good at mining, the FDL is still okay, but totally beat by the Beluga.)

With all the new changes, my first question is the old Painite style mining from before the patch still the exact same? Or was there changes to that method?
Well it, actually, became even a bit better, for now you can scan rings for hotspots with higher painite content.

If you have head tracking or VR, try the Krait mkII. It's cockpit gives the perfrct view for boosting along while you scan for cores that you wouldn't have seen with a cockpit like the Python's.

T10 is doable, but it's poor speed makes core mining much slower, as you spend most of your time locating cores. I haven't measured, but I feel safe saying that my Krait mkII pulls in more credits per hour in core mining than my T10.

As others have said, you can still mine the old way... but for deep core mining, here is my Python Build, and it will pay for it's self in one trip of about 2-3 hours.
i.e. fill it with void opals and it earns 200 mil + per trip. it takes about 2 hours to fill it.

and On the plus side it can defend it's self if needed. :)

I’ve got an armed T10 (armed purely so I can multi session mine without bother) that I sometimes DC mine with. When I’m in the mood it’s great but pack some sandwiches, put your music on and role play the life of a deep space miner for the day....it can take me that long to fill it up.

I mined Selene’s 500 tonnes, on my alt account, in a T6 far quicker - pretty much anything goes. The advice regarding a small refinery is good imo, I go with the smallest I can get away with.

If you have head tracking or VR, try the Krait mkII. It's cockpit gives the perfrct view for boosting along while you scan for cores that you wouldn't have seen with a cockpit like the Python's.

AspX gives the best overall view. Krait MkII is good looking straight ahead, up/down, left/right, and down to either side, but those horse binders looking up to either side just drives me bonkers.

Top Bottom