Mining Ship Questions

So far I find the Clipper makes a solid miner, its got good internals for mining equipment and enough hardpoints to cover every type of mining. Deep core seems to require a degree of agility, so I don't really want to do it in my T9 but the Clipper handles it just fine. On the plus side it also has speed enough to escape those homeward bound interdictions with ease. On the downside, as with combat the divergence of its hardpoints is not very ideal, making aiming a bit tricky. I should probably consider switching to an AspX because like Geo above I use up about 100 limpets and I'm ready to go. Clipper can handle almost twice that. so if I leave with a full load of limpets by time I'm done I'm pulling my hair out.

Last edited:
I've been getting great use from my Krait MkII for mining. I can fit all three major tools and still have two large HP's for defensive weapons. It's not quite as good at the job as the Python, but I don't really love the Python much and if I'm going to spend hours pinging for nuts to crack or cranking on lasers I need to enjoy my boat. I'm running my operation out in Colonia and spend an hour each session looking for new pristine metallic rings. Found a couple new ones but no juicy hot-spots yet.

If I take along the charge launcher then I also take one M mining laser. At least I can get something in between the crackable rocks. In places where I know crackables are really rare but material content is good I take along 2 M mining lasers and leave the charge launcher at home. I can empty out a rock faster with the 2 lasers than I can with the charges and sometimes I come out with a full hold faster that way anyhow. Watching those chunks come streaming out about 1 per second is pretty cool.

I like keeping the option to fight back a bit. It's entertaining to turn around and just melt down that stupid Cobra MkIII that decided to scan me as I entered the rings with the two large hard points. I may not have a full compliment of weapons but I can keep them running the whole time with power to spare. On the way home I don't fight if I can help it. I avoid interdiction and the Krait seems to handle pretty well in escaping interdiction.

I focus mainly on minerals and metals so hunting LTD's and VO might change my calculus a bit.

Here's my mining Krait as she currently stands:

Mining Krait

128 tons in the hold, and up to 10 tons in the refinery. I spent some coin on power plant, frame shift, and thrusters. She's relatively speedy and has the option to run or fight against most opponents. I keep my mining gear turned off unless in use which keeps her running cool. That 3A fuel scoop is the weak spot, but I don't have to fuel up but once per typical leg even on rather distant systems.

AspX gives the best overall view. Krait MkII is good looking straight ahead, up/down, left/right, and down to either side, but those horse binders looking up to either side just drives me bonkers.

The AspX does have a better view, but not enough to improve core hunting over the Krait. The drop in cargo capacity from 230T to 130T is pretty severe. If you're looking for profit, the Krait mkII is certainly better than the AspX. Of course, core mining is profitable enough that taking whichever ship you prefer instead of the most profitable ship is just fine.

I like the Python for core mining. If I could choose any ship in the game, I would still use the Python for it. I like to collect 128t of opals, then slip into my Corvette to safely transport it for sale.

I also use an adder on my alt that I just started. The Adder is probably the smallest ship you can reasonably core mine in.
You only need to find one rock with a deep core and its full! No collector limpets, so gathering all the fragments with the cargo hatch is fun too. Might be a good way to learn the new system if you dont mind using a small ship.

I like the Python for core mining. If I could choose any ship in the game, I would still use the Python for it. I like to collect 128t of opals, then slip into my Corvette to safely transport it for sale.

I also use an adder on my alt that I just started. The Adder is probably the smallest ship you can reasonably core mine in.
You only need to find one rock with a deep core and its full! No collector limpets, so gathering all the fragments with the cargo hatch is fun too. Might be a good way to learn the new system if you dont mind using a small ship.

Well it was only a toss up between my current 2 mining ships, a Python and T-10. Decided to use the Colonia Python and keep the Bubble T-10 as a Painite miner instead. Figure Colonia since I already have a great AspX explorer set for finding great locations in rings, I can do that and collect the areas and send in the Python to Core mine...

Well it was only a toss up between my current 2 mining ships, a Python and T-10. Decided to use the Colonia Python and keep the Bubble T-10 as a Painite miner instead. Figure Colonia since I already have a great AspX explorer set for finding great locations in rings, I can do that and collect the areas and send in the Python to Core mine...

I like the T10 for laser mining. I may kit one out soon. Seems like it can have a good spread of lasers and turrets as well as an SLF bay.

I like the T10 for laser mining. I may kit one out soon. Seems like it can have a good spread of lasers and turrets as well as an SLF bay.
I like my T-10, it was pretty fun and another reason I'm glad I can just use it for the same type of mining as before. The Python I thought it would be something to use in Colonia, and haven't really done much of anything with it other than a tiny bit of mining there. So having that as just a core miner there, should make it actually not collect dust anymore...

I've had a good time cracking rocks in a Keelback.

If you don't need a fuel-scoop it's actually a bargain for that work. 64 tons in a ship that well outfitted costs about 10 to 12 million. It makes it's money back and then some right off the bat.

So you went cracking with just the PWA then and took what you found then? I always dropped into hotspots and I thought you had to have the DSS to see those, even if another of your ships mapped them.

Yeah I just dropped in wherever and found enough for it to be worth doing. I never go out without a scoop.

Top Bottom