Minor Faction Rep and the ‘Flying Dutchman’ Problem

With this post, I want to discuss minor faction rep, the hypothetical ‘Flying Dutchman’ problem, and ways to fix it.

tl:dr: Make the hostile status non-permanent for minor factions, at least decay a small percentage each day in real time.

For major factions, there exists decay (and conversely anti-decay) that exists to prevent permanent damage to relations. For minor factions, no such system of decay or anti-decay exists, leading to irreparable damage when pilots get careless with minor faction reputation. If provoked and undisturbed for a significant amount of time with no negative action towards the belligerent, normally hostilities start leading to mediation towards detente (barring those who have an archnemesis).

With the way minor faction rep is set up, it is possible to encounter a scenario I am coining the ‘Flying Dutchman problem’: a scenario where a ship cannot dock at any port, doomed to sail (or in this case, fly) forever, leading to extensive difficulty acquiring repairs, parts, and for a long while, a total lockout to a number of the game’s mechanics, which is quite devastating to anyone in the long run, considering a pirate cannot sell their ill-gotten gains at a black market, a player who joined a squadron, only to be unable to do anything for their player faction be barred from doing anything if there were problems in the past, or a wild card (like myself) who cannot, well, be a wild card. And even if it is purely hypothetical, the impact of being a ‘Flying Dutchman’ is quite problematic. No resupply, no repairs, no refuel, no way to turn in anything to contacts, and most importantly, no place to respawn nearby if you get sent to rebuy for any reason.

To remedy the ‘Flying Dutchman’ scenario, the only way to do so is via bounty huntingfor that faction in a hazardous resource site, and visiting an interstellar factor, which may or may not be in a hostile port or outpost. For a non-controlling faction, the damage is nigh-permanent and is virtually irreparable, as you are unable to sneak in to a hostile port to atone for any transgression, whatever they may be.

To prevent the ‘Flying Dutchman Scenario’ I want to suggest an anti-decay that gradually lowers hostility to make it possible to get in good graces. (It isn’t common sense to make amends with an enemy, so why do I care? I’m a wild card!)

Edit: permanent was updated to reflect there is a possibility to fix minor rep.

Last edited:
Minor faction rep should already decay slowly from Hostile as far as the bottom of Unfriendly, if you stop bothering them. It was supposed to, anyway. Still, even if it doesn't, there are plenty of other options to fix rep.

For a non-controlling faction, the damage is permanent and is irreparable
Unless they're an Anarchy faction you can obtain bounties fairly quickly with a KWS. Controlling Anarchy factions you can pick up bounties for them by taking missions with enemy pursuit, and hanging around in the anarchy system waiting for those enemies.

Any non-controlling faction you can get a slight bit of rep by picking up missions that deliver cargo/data to them from nearby systems, because as a non-controlling faction they won't prevent you docking.

With Fleet Carriers - releasing now - you can have a resupply base anywhere you like with no docking restrictions, or use other people's carriers for the same purpose.

If you go to the effort of making yourself Hostile with thousands of factions, you should have to go to some effort to fix that later, but it is possible.

Make the hostile status non-permanent for minor factions, at least decay a small percentage each day in real time.
Umm, I believe it does ...

Edir: Ninjad :) (That'll teach me to go double checking on google - shame more OPs won't do that for themselves :D )

This is impossible, as Ian points out rep will increase slowly enough for you to dock again- in fact, if anything the system in ED is too lenient and forgiving because its used to spank factions over and over when they should really lock you out.
Does this include minor factions?

Does this include minor factions?
Yes. The original rep decay design had all superpower and minor faction rep decay to neutral fairly quickly over time.

After complaints this was revised to have superpower rep decay to +/-75% (high friendly / low unfriendly) and minor faction rep decay to +100% / -75%.

Yes. The original rep decay design had all superpower and minor faction rep decay to neutral fairly quickly over time.

After complaints this was revised to have superpower rep decay to +/-75% (high friendly / low unfriendly) and minor faction rep decay to +100% / -75%.
Well, after reading this, I can now conclude that this thread was all for nothing. Thanks for the info I missed on this change.

I shall never speak about this thread again.

It was good to learn Im hostile with a faction at the mo and thought it was with me for life

I shall soon be providing sucour to the Flying Dutchmen of the universe

It was good to learn Im hostile with a faction at the mo and thought it was with me for life

I shall soon be providing sucour to the Flying Dutchmen of the universe

sadly no, I need to keep attacking a pirate faction, too keep my hostile status with them, as they keeps forgiving me for destroying thousands of their ships...

sadly no, I need to keep attacking a pirate faction, too keep my hostile status with them, as they keeps forgiving me for destroying thousands of their ships...

Yea, kind of this. Also, even if reputation would not fix by itself all of the time, the described scenario is unlikely to happen, for several reasons:

1. There are just so many factions out there. Getting all of them to hostile would keep you busy for years. And if you after several years of working towards this are surprised on the result, the problem might not be on the game.
2. Whatever you do, while some faction will dislike you for it, it will also earn you reputation from another faction. It really becomes very hard to get to -100% everywhere with this in place.
3. It's even more work to get all zeroed in anarchy systems, especially if there's more than one anarchy faction there, due to how they are not connected at all and you'd have to get them all deep into negative reputation in parallel. You'd probably have to plan on a spreadsheet, which ship of which faction to kill next to ever get there.

The whole reputation decay is unnecessary and in my eyes detracts from the game. It takes intention and preseverance to just get one bigger system (with stations belonging to more than one faction) to a situation where you could not dock any more. Anybody dedicating that much work into becoming unwanted in a system should also be able to keep that result. Mind you, if he wants to change it, he can still do missions or stuff for a faction from a neighbouring system, to fix things again.

Anyway, it is what it is. FD decided to fix a non-existing problem many years ago and this fix is here to stay. The game got bigger problems than this.

Top Bottom