Mock Wildlife Simulation

When I played Zoo Tycoon 2 I would make the whole map an exhibit. I would then place in lions and zebras (to keep it simple). I would be refilling the food of the zebras and the lions would rely on eating the zebras.

Simply put, can a carnivore feed off a carcass? If not, are there any ways in which I could come close to simulating this?

Thanks!

I don't think the game is intended to be played this way, which would make this a non existing function.

IOW I don't think the game works correctly with one large exhibit/habitat.

Ok, so it wouldn't be good to be optimistic on it.

As the next reply, can it be something official or a screenshot of the carnivores feeding off herbivores? As more speculating wouldn't help.

Thanks again!

From what i've seen in TheGamingBeaver's stream and somebody elses stream, it seems they should get food from the carcass..
I saw a Lioness kill a Zebra and she ignored the carcass but a Tiger killed a Lemur and ate it soon after.

Although they don't seem to have actual animations right now so they just kinda kill very derpy and it's very out of place for me since all of the other animations & behaviors are realistic. The Lioness just jump attacked the Zebra and it instantly died, basically the same with the Tiger and Lemur situation. It was funny however.

I will eventually be making a wildlife reserve :3 Not sure if herbivores can rely on grass, bushes, and trees but I sure hope this is implemented in final game if it isn't already.

Also, i've heard the F.Devs say on stream that the "predators will kill their native prey" but in a "zoo" setting the guests would be upset about it. Can't remember the exact wording but same thing.

Last edited:
I was kind of wishing for this too! I used to do the same thing all the time on Zoo Tycoon 2. Make one big exhibit and it would be like watching my own wildlife documentary lol. Good times.

I think it will be difficult to make it look realistic, for example you will need to have functioning keeper areas with generators etc. so the animals can be given food (though as we have seen you don't necessarily need feeders for that, the keepers will just put it down on the ground). I suppose you could build it to look like a nature reserve with one of those central farmhouses where park rangers hang out and the zookeepers wandering around could be "roleplayed" as park rangers to keep as much of the immersion in tact as possible for an ecosystem.

As others have said the game isn't intended to be played that way, but there isn't really anything stopping you from making the whole map an enclosure and putting the animals in it. It may just not be as simple to do as it was in ZT2 :)

If Frontier has plans to implement a modkit, modders could take the feeders as base, exchange the models with those of fooliage and edit them so they would never run out of food. This way we wouldn't need any kind of keepers, or any human influence at all (except a keeper that delivers the animals). The only things that could ruin our wildlife dreams are:

Diseases: Since it is a zoo builder the way diseases spread and work could be entirely different from how they work in real life, like animals not be able to heal over time and thus be completely dependent on vets. Just one sick animal could cause a devastating epidemic. If dinos get sick in JWE, and you don't intervene, they are 100% doomed and somehow even manage to infect animals in other enclosures on the other side of the map.

Unstable Population: If someone has plans to create a truly wild paradise for the long term, it will probably end with a total overpopulation of carnivores that eventually starve to death because they already hunted everything they could. The map size seems to be decent, but it probably won't be big enough for a stable population.

Poop: If the devs never intended to let poop vanish over time, your wildlife dreams will eventually drown in an endless sea of poop. The end.

Top Bottom