RCT 3 PC Multi-Core RCT3 Patch?

With Dual Core processors picking up steam, what are the chances of there being a patch for RCT3 that would enable it to take advantage of multiple cores? RCT3 is a game that would really benefit from it, seeing how CPU-dependant the game is. Unless one of the expansions added support for multiple cores?

You might notice how I said "multi-core" over "dual-core". Quad Core (Kentsfield for Intel and K8L for AMD) is right around the corner (Intel plans to get Kentsfield out 4Q 2006 and AMD plans to get K8L out 2Q 2007) and RCT3 would really benefit from four cores compared to two.

With Frontier willing to support the game on their own, and multi-core processors going mainstream, is there any hope of a patch for RCT3 to take advantage of dual core or quad core processors?

*Drools at thought of playing RCT3 on a quad core K8L and SLI 9800GTs*

VGplay said:
With Dual Core processors picking up steam, what are the chances of there being a patch for RCT3 that would enable it to take advantage of multiple cores? RCT3 is a game that would really benefit from it, seeing how CPU-dependant the game is. Unless one of the expansions added support for multiple cores?

You might notice how I said "multi-core" over "dual-core". Quad Core (Kentsfield for Intel and K8L for AMD) is right around the corner (Intel plans to get Kentsfield out 4Q 2006 and AMD plans to get K8L out 2Q 2007) and RCT3 would really benefit from four cores compared to two.

With Frontier willing to support the game on their own, and multi-core processors going mainstream, is there any hope of a patch for RCT3 to take advantage of dual core or quad core processors?

*Drools at thought of playing RCT3 on a quad core K8L and SLI 9800GTs*

It seems unlikely. I don't think a Quad core is probably going to be very affordable for people just playing games. Most games don't even support dual core.

works fine with mine

RCT 3 is amazing on my system with an AMD Athlon 64 FX-60. And, it is a dual-core processor. They STILL haven't fixed the coaster placement lag bug yet. I still haven't figured out why it happens. I have all of the expansion packs and I have installed all of the patches for them.

I am, however, running 2 GeForce 7950 GSXs in Quad-SLI mode.

*If* thats true that'd be amazing.

But I thought I read somewehre programs had to be written specially to support dual core.

Certainly they do for dual CPU's. I'm no expert though, maybe frontier could answer this?

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Programs do need to be specifically written to take advantage of multiple cores. However there is often an advantage to having multiple cores even if the program has not been written that way as all PC's have some background tasks which are handled by the additional cores. Rather than a single core running the game and background tasks at once.

Michael

Vista and XP - I meant can the OS run itself on one and the game on the other?

I (although I seem to be the only person who does this!) never have any background programs running until I need them, except a firewall, so XP is by far using the most resources other than the game.

mbrookes said:
XP would generally try and distribute it's own threads between different cores.

Michael

Thats what i thought which ends up not being so useful. Shame you can't lock it to one, and lock small programs to the same core (say msn messenger) and lock games to the 2nd core.

Top Bottom