Multiple Commanders Linked to One Account : 'Toons

Would you like multiple Commander Slots per Account?

• Yes

Votes: 257 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 21.7%
  • I am Obsidian Ant

Votes: 31 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but waaay back FD talked about this, and one of the problems at the time was that CMDR data was too closely linked to account data. A 1 to 1 relationship.

They said they had taken some steps to unlink that data, but more work was required before they could get to the point of even considering allowing multiple slots.

This was well over a year ago though. Not sure if they have taken any further steps or even still considering it.

I am sure they can if they want. But also I am sure that they can't make it by a minor update. This is something bigger which will have impact to databases and architecture
that is to be reworked behind the scenes. So if it comes I think it will come with a new season.

Regards,
Miklos

I would pay up to 10€ for a second commander slot.

Yeah, I agree with this amount (well, 15 USD, specifically). It's how much an additional copy of the game would have cost me at one point. [up]

I would like to have an additional character to play a self imposed ironman mode combatant without risking my preferred survivalist play style.

Last edited:
Is there any particular reason we are limited to one CMDR in the first place?
I can't think of any other games like this with only 1 character slot off the top of my head.
Even Guild Wars 1 which is the closest game in pricing I can think of came with 2.

I feel like the lack of slots is negatively impacting the possible game mechanics FDev can implement.
Currently there are no real permanent consequences for anything cause that would ruin your only character slot.
Multiple CMDR slots opens up the possibility for some proper lasting consequences for actions.

CMDR CTCParadox

I feel like the lack of slots is negatively impacting the possible game mechanics FDev can implement.
Currently there are no real permanent consequences for anything cause that would ruin your only character slot.
Multiple CMDR slots opens up the possibility for some proper lasting consequences for actions.

CMDR CTCParadox

One character slot already gives you "lasting consequences for actions".
You take your one commander out to Jaque's and you'll be gone from the bubble for 20-30 /played hours. Even "worse" if you do some long range exploring. You might be gone for /played weeks. That can translate into real time month or even years.
I'm very well aware that I "cheesed" the "lonelyness of the long distance runner" by getting a 2nd account to play around in the bubble. At least my landing and docking skills didn't completely deteriorate like that.

More commander slots - you mean as touted by FD during the KS ? Then yes, of course.

Last time this was mentioned though by FD their response was not in the foreseeable future as it's "complicated"

Definately OP, multiple accounts please. Having a few billions i am also against restarting, but a new cmdr would give me that option.

As Sandro has stated, only one cmdr can be played at anytime to avoid exploits, and i agree, but players owning 2 accounts with 2 computers can actually exploit now with bounties, cargo ct so multiple accounts would be even better.

I think Frontier has missed an opportunity here as well for funding. I am sure most people would happily pay say £5 for each cmdr. I know i would.

I'm perfectly fine with only having one commander on an account being online at a given time.

The greatest challenge for me would be deciding how to split the time between them. :)

How about you can have multiple Commanders, but only one can ever go into Open/Groups. If you want to select a different one, you'd have to reset the current one.

That way you can have various chars for doing multiple things like exploration and bubble stuff but no way to conveniently change your identity in Open.

How about you can have multiple Commanders, but only one can ever go into Open/Groups. If you want to select a different one, you'd have to reset the current one.

That way you can have various chars for doing multiple things like exploration and bubble stuff but no way to conveniently change your identity in Open.

If the price is right... I could have bought an extra copy of the game for only 15 USD at one point, but didn't, holding out for the possibility of having multiple characters and not having to rebuy game extras such as paint jobs.

If combat logging weren't the issue that it is, I'd very much like to see an ironman game mode though where you drop into Open if you die, or your character is erased.

A private group with a good honor system might do though... Anyone interested??? :D

Last edited:

nope. Its not feasable to restrict commanders that way. But have only one active at a time in space and keeping them fully separated in assets is fine for me.
If today running a combat zone near X, or giving 35 jumps towards Sag A*, your descision what commander you use. If you want to swap them, log out to Main Menu at least
and activate your second one. (I can live with restart the game also if thechnical no other solution is possible.)
But what mode you are in, you are free the same way with every commander in your slots.

I can see what kind of abuse you fear...
But if you piled up you naughtyness and need to cool down this commander. Yes, I can see some abuse potential.
FD should have possibilities to go after this. But in the end no reason to cancel the feature.

Regards,
Miklos

Last edited:
I don't know if this hypothesis has been put forth (I only read about half the thread), but I suspect that if we're going to see this implemented at all, it'll come as part of 2.3. That seems, to me, the most logical spot to put it, alongside the Commander Creator. Then you'd have a more robust Commander Select screen, with visual identities to go along with your different personas.

For the record, I'm all for multiple commanders per account (2 being good, 3 being ideal given the factions).

I paid for a second account quite some time ago.

Primarily so my kids could play alongside on a second PC.
They lost interest about a year ago so, I have a Cobra and 50m credits sitting in mothballs.

I'm very tempted to trade it up to a T9 if frontier don't bring in some form of cargo storage soon then use it for that.
I've literally thrown away so many Modular Terminals, it isn't funny.

Clicker

This will be both a poll, and a question towards Frontier.

Why can't we create multiple Commanders on the same account, Frontier? You've changed the 'new game experience' so much from when I began playing (just after launch) and I will never experience it, unless I completely delete 'Brimstone AVM' and start a new life, or buy a whole new account with a different e-mail address with Horizons included. New players have the option of starting on a planet surface, or a starport (from what I gather) not to mention the new player experience has been tweaked a bit as well. I want to taste that feeling again, starting out in a Sidewinder with only 1000 credits to my name, and put the experience I have towards a fresh and new beginning. At the same time, I don't want to dump everything I've achieved as 'Brimstone AVM' because I have achieved so much.

I payed for this game, and Horizons with the loyalty discount. $60 for the base game, and then $45 for Horizons. 105 smackaroos, for just one commander experience.

Now, let's look at a few free-to-play games. Star Trek Online, where the only paid content is premium ships, allows you to create atleast 3 or 4 characters, with more' character slots' being a purchasable item. You get to experience all of the content in the game.
Path of Exile, another *very* great free-to-play game, allows you to make tons of characters, with the only paid content being cosmetic items, additional bank inventory, and other things. You can experience all of the content in the game without having to spend a dime.

Hell, even Battlestar Galactica allows you to create as many characters as you want, all you have to do is make a new e-mail now and then.

Now, I am not asking that Frontier turn Elite Dangerous into a free to play game. That is not what I personally would like Elite to become. I am asking for the ability to create multiple commanders, so that I may play different experiences, under different names. Maybe I can make a pirate. Maybe I can make a total RP character and nerd out. Maybe I can just be an Anoos and kill people.

Look, I already paid a ton of money for this game, more than I've ever spent on any other game in my life. But most games that I've played before, they allow you to have multiple 'saves' or multiple characters. It depresses me that this game doesn't allow this.

So here is where the poll comes in.

Would you like to have multiple Commanders to one account?

TLDR: Other games let me make multiple dudes. Why can't I make multiple dudes in Elite without paying more money?

Edit: This is Obsidian Ant: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiq6FTXiFKQm-wqMuRijgA
He is a Youtuber for Elite, and he has multiple accounts doing multiple things. There was a joke where he makes up most of the player base, because he plays the game so much, and stuff. He's and awesome guy though, and godbless him for his contributions.

Dude, - you get SO much value out of this game it's not funny.

I read your posts, know who you are. If I saw you in game I'd friend or fight you.

There's a pile of stuff that you can do with a second account. So much so that one lass I knew had four Alts and since she went underground I wouldn't be surprised if there were more.
Your post is "I want a second account for this one innocuous reason"
But second accounts have a LOT of nefarious purposes as well as a lot of QOL amenity.

Keep the 'barrier to entry' I say.

Just steel yourself and whack out that credit card one more time.

And buy yourself a skin - walking around looking like a NPC - don't you got no self respect? Your girl all dressed up for Saturday night and you still wearin you Tuesday overalls? What if your grandpa dies - you gonna wear a stock skin to his guard of honour?
You get yourself a smart looking suit, and an Alt account that you can let both your friends use without being scared they'll cost you a rebuy.

I would love to have a second account to do the "new player experience" again....

Just buy a sidewinder and run into the station a few times, otherwise, it's basically the same game.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Is there any particular reason we are limited to one CMDR in the first place?
I can't think of any other games like this with only 1 character slot off the top of my head.
Even Guild Wars 1 which is the closest game in pricing I can think of came with 2.

CMDR CTCParadox

Because people get so bored that starting over feels "exciting".:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Multiple toons with 1 account will let people play different characters like a pirate, bounty hunter, without worrying about the impact on their standings with factions. Frontier could sell additional toons to players.

With 2.3 each toon can have a different biography, face, body etc. It's great for role-playing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom