Multiple ED accounts via Steam

I haven't been able to find a clear answer on this:

I have ED (Horizons) on Steam. I've just bought another copy (via Humble Bundle) which gives me a Steam key.

How do I go about 'registering' my second user so I can swap accounts? (I have no wish to run both at the same time - one is for exploring, the other for anything else).

Any insights appreciated!

Hmmmm... That's problematic I think. You can convert Elite on steam to run via Frontier without trouble, but the game will stay in your library which means, you can't redeem your humble bundle code.
You also can't use the key you got to redeem the game directly via Frontier because it's a steam key...

I think the only thing that might work, is to create a new Steam account, redeem the key there, then convert the game to a new Frontier account (so you don't need the new Steam account anymore).

Last edited:
To my knowledge, you can't. Steam associates keys with a games appid. It's a one-to-one relationship, so when you try to register a second key for a game you already own, it'll simply show you the installation window.

You could create a new Steam account, and switch between those.

Otherwise, you might need to contact Frontier support - they might have an idea on how to help you; if they can.

I bought a second account for DW2, but all the discounted copies I could find were steam keys - but I already have a steam version. So I purchased a second version directly from Frontier Store (via a new account) to get a new Elite account that I could just log into via Steam.

That said, support may be able to help - since I assume steam key is likely associated with a Frontier Account at some point...?

Off the top of my head - all steam does is start the launcher, so steam even with a steam key isnt really needed. BUT if you used the same email address which is likely, as you'll only have 1 associated with steam, then you cant login to both accounts from the launcher either.

I think.

So contact support. You might need to create a new account on frontiers website using a different email account, then they can transfer the copy to that account. I think thats what they did with me, I stupidly bought a 2nd account using the same email address, they sorted it quickly and I have 2 accounts on different email accounts. Create shortcuts to the single launcher, each logs in to a different account.

I don't know if this is possible but can you just use a Steam key directly redeemed in the Frontier Store?

One other thing - didn't someone say that the Humblethingie was just for the Horizons DLC/season pass? If so you need the base game to add it to. You can't add two Horizons to one base game.

EDIT - clarified by R3dbvll - the offer is the Commander DeLuxe Edition (Base+Horizons+repaints) - so good value there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback - wish I'd checked first!

The humble bundle offer includes the base game, Horizons, and some kind of extra pack (paint jobs maybe?) : linky

I haven't done anything with the Steam code - I'll talk to support and see what they suggest.

Worry ye not!

I once did something very similar!

I set up a second account with a different email address and then asked Frontier to transfer the account across. They did it in literally a couple of hours!

Worry ye not!

I once did something very similar!

I set up a second account with a different email address and then asked Frontier to transfer the account across. They did it in literally a couple of hours!

Support were very helpful.
I had to create a second steam account, put the steam key there, which gave me the codes I needed on the Frontier Store. I then had to create a new account on Frontier, and put the keys there.

Top Bottom