MWSOG: Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology

I feel like it was something that should be in game before t isn't. I remember one time a while back that it actually did show up in the system panel for me I only saw it once and haven't seen it again so maybe I'm just going insane.

Deleted member 38366

D
Silicate Magma
Signalis 1
Coordinates : -26.52 / 114.31

Signalis_1_SilicateMagma-1.jpg

Signalis_1_SilicateMagma-2.jpg

Even Varonica checked fully only one body, so any conclusions like this are pretty much baseless, but your guess is as good as anyones :)

Three bodies in the end, the minor volcanic body had only a few sites, the major volcanic body had 15 sites. To me it's almost a given that major vulcanism means more sites rather than larger, and major volcanic sites are only found on moons/small planets with a very short orbital period, under 1 day. We need to keep in mind though that this only applies to smallish bodies, probably in the range of 1000km to 1500km radius down to the smallest bodies. This is because vulcanism on these bodies is entirely caused by tidal and gravitational stress. Large bodies, say anything much above mars size, will have different sources of vulcanism, they will have retained enough heat from formation to still have an active magma mantle and hot core, so vulcanism on those bodies should be more like on earth, but until we get proper tools to search the large planets it's entirely speculation.

After Mailgno's interesting post I have fixed the mistake I made here, it now says orbital period of one day as it was always meant to instead of 1s.

Last edited:
Three bodies in the end, the minor volcanic body had only a few sites, the major volcanic body had 15 sites

Wow, I must have missed it (jelaousy probably ;) ). Typically as I said, I do check only "major" ones unless I have a very good reason to find volcanism somewhere, than I ignore the type, but at least I will feel now that this is not only my imagination. Thx for confirming.
I forgot how you go about finding them, glide, normal flight, fighter camera ?

Distribution of Brain Trees in the Eorl Auwsy Nebula

They say that “where there’s Brain Trees, there’s Ancient Ruins”. Explorers have leveraged that piece of knowledge to help them find Ancient Ruins throughout the galaxy. But how exactly are they related? That’s a tough question to answer, but for now I will posit that Brain Trees follow Ancient Ruins, more specifically: Brain Trees can be found in every (viable) system around a sphere centered on a system that has an Ancient Ruin, with a radius of X lightyears.

In order to test the above hypothesis, I made my way to the Eorl Auwsy nebula, where CMDR b0rys discovered two systems containing a number of ruins. I picked that nebula because it is well isolated from other Guardian “bubbles” and only contains two systems (that we know of) that have ruins, which I thought would make it easier to do the experiment.

It should be noted that the “forest” of Brain Trees around the Col 173 Sector bubble is rather large in extent, which may be the result of a number of (as yet undiscovered) systems with ruins sprinkled throughout the area, or simply a field of Brain Trees that doesn’t follow the rule in the posited hypothesis. In either case, the Col 173 Sector was not suitable for this experiment.

The figure below shows a snapshot of systems that are known to have Brain Trees in the area around the Eorl Auwsy nebula. You can view that region in more detail by visiting the Canonn 3D map of Brain Trees (https://map.canonn.technology/all/) and zooming in on the cluster near the galactic core.

59I2PYB.gif

The first thing I did was visit the Eorl Auwsy SY-Z D13-3468 system (which contains several ruins) and from there go “up” the vertical axis of the galactic coordinate system. This would give me an idea of the radius of the spherical field of Brain Trees surrounding the reference system. The Eorl Auwsy QD-A D14-6193 system was the last one I found trees on, which would put the radius of the sphere at around 85 Ly.

I then tried to see if the same radius was observable by probing the “right side” of the other system containing ruins, Eorl Auwsy SY-Z D13-3861. I found Brain Trees well beyond the 85 Ly limit. The farthest system to the right was Eorl Auwsy PS-B D13-4554, about 102 Ly from Eorl Auwsy SY-Z D13-3861.

This led me to believe that there might be another ruins system hiding in there somewhere and I couldn’t resist the temptation to look for one. I tried doing so by probing two other “edges” of the sphere so I could triangulate the position of a candidate system. I’ll spare everyone the details, but basically you can do the triangulation by finding the intersection of three spheres (two solutions, one of which is presumed to be the “center” of the field of Brain Trees). The EDSM database is rather sparse in that nebula, so I had to spend some time filling in the blanks in the region I thought was the center, which turned out to be Eorl Auwsy TE-A B56-54. After searching some 200 systems, I did not find any ruins.

At this point, I figured there might be something off with my estimate of the sphere radius. So spent some time probing the left side of Eorl Auwsy SY-Z D13-3468. I found that the radius might actually be closer to 78 Ly.

After spending days in the Eorl Auwsy nebula I decided to go back to the Merope region to play with some Thargoids.

This research is still unfinished, but I believe that the field of Brain Trees around a ruin system does resemble a sphere with a radius of about 78 Ly, which is evident in the pattern of Brain Tree systems in the area. I plan to go back to that nebula and continue probing the edges of the Brain Tree field and hopefully find some ruins in the process.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
(Colonia Transit Corridor)

Iron Magma
DRYOOE FLYOU ZU-F D11-1202 1 A
Coordinates : -1.39 / -141.65

Dryooe Flyou_ZU-F_D11-1202_1A-IronMagma-1.jpg

Dryooe Flyou_ZU-F_D11-1202_1A-IronMagma-2.jpg
Silicate Vapour Geysers
DRYIO FLYUAE KD-R C5-37 A 2
Coordinates : -8.70 / 132.90

Dryio_Flyuae_KD-R_C5-37_A2-SilicateGeysers-1.jpg

Dryio_Flyuae_KD-R_C5-37_A2-SilicateGeysers-2.jpg
Silicate Magma
BOELTS OT-R D4-172 C 1
Coordinates : -14.07 / -70.27

Boelts_OT-R_D4-172_C1-SilicateMagma-1.jpg

Boelts_OT-R_D4-172_C1-SilicateMagma-2.jpg

Boelts_OT-R_D4-172_C1-SilicateMagma-3.jpg
Silicate Vapour Geysers
BOELTS OT-R D4-172 ABC 1 BA
Coordinates : -1.90 / 17.21

Boelts_OT-R_D4-172_ABC1BA-SilicateGeysers-1.jpg

Boelts_OT-R_D4-172_ABC1BA-SilicateGeysers-2.jpg
Silicate Vapour Geysers
BOELTS OT-R D4-172 ABC 2 A
Coordinates : -31.05 / 88.46

Boelts_OT-R_D4-172_ABC2A-SilicateGeysers.jpg
Iron Magma
BLUA EAEC OY-I D9-179 1 E A
Coordinates : -23.18 / 88.71

Blua_Eaec_OY-I_D9-179_1EA-IronMagma.jpg
Iron Magma
NUEKUAE XF-W C2-16 B 5 A
Coordinates : -53.76 / 45.63
Nuekuae_XF-W_C2-16_B5A-IronMagma.jpg
Iron Magma
CLOOKU AP-A D122 A 1 A
Coordinates : 7.20 / 50.01

Clooku_AP-A_D122_A1A-IronMagma-1.jpg

Clooku_AP-A_D122_A1A-IronMagma-2.jpg

Clooku_AP-A_D122_A1A-IronMagma-3.jpg
Silicate Magma
CLOOKU AP-A D122 A 1 B
Coordinates : -17.54 / 164.77

Clooku_AP-A_D122_A1B-SilicateMagma.jpg
Iron Magma
CLOOKU AP-A D122 A 1 D
Coordinates : -10.31 / -10.88

Clooku_AP-A_D122_A1D-IronMagma.jpg
Silicate Vapour Geysers
BLAE DRYE UP-V D3-107 B 3 A
Coordinates : 21.94 / -8.74
BLAE_DRYE_UP-V_D3-107_B3A-SilicateGeysers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to test the above hypothesis, I made my way to the Eorl Auwsy nebula, where CMDR Baton discovered two systems containing a number of ruins.

Actually this one is definately not my find, so needs to be corrected.
I think it is a nice work you are doing, makes me wanna help and do similar reaserch on NGC I am in right now, and already checked plenty of systems. It is not that dense, so maybe I will stick around for few days.
Just lost one of my SRVs and wanted to go back but who knows, it would be good to know how big the sphere is. I already found a system with viable brain tree candidate close to Ancient Ruins without brain trees, so this is not like 100%.

Actually this one is definately not my find, so needs to be corrected.
I think it is a nice work you are doing, makes me wanna help and do similar reaserch on NGC I am in right now, and already checked plenty of systems. It is not that dense, so maybe I will stick around for few days.
Just lost one of my SRVs and wanted to go back but who knows, it would be good to know how big the sphere is. I already found a system with viable brain tree candidate close to Ancient Ruins without brain trees, so this is not like 100%.

Thanks, I gave proper credit to Factabulous =). Thank you for leaving some sites for the rest of us ;-). The funny thing is, I think Factabulous himself forgot that it wasn't you! LOL!

What are the two systems you are referring to? I mean, the one with the ruins and the one without the trees? I would like to update my calculations based on your findings. In any case, I guess the takeaway from your experience is that we have to be thorough when we probe for the edge of the sphere.

Last edited:
BTW I lost the SRV to The G Curse - one of the monoliths enabled some weird electromagnetic field, got my SRV stuck to it, and I had to abandon it after 10 minutes of struggle. Luckily parked my ship quite far away so I managed to escape.
g4yRlSx.jpg

Wow, I must have missed it (jelaousy probably ;) ). Typically as I said, I do check only "major" ones unless I have a very good reason to find volcanism somewhere, than I ignore the type, but at least I will feel now that this is not only my imagination. Thx for confirming.
I forgot how you go about finding them, glide, normal flight, fighter camera ?

Hi Baton, I posted my final report up further back in the thread, with links to each of the others, but it's easy to miss what with the constant updates, you guys are just finding to much :D

The only way still to be sure of missing nothing is to fly around and around the body in question in normal space, which unfortunately restricts that to small bodies under 200kmradius for individual pilots. When looking casually I will glide over promising areas then maybe fly a while in normal space if there are still areas I want to check out. L

acking any other improvements what we need is a light surface explorer like a fighter, only with a constant high top speed of around 1 to 1.5 kps and a much wider radar, maybe a 50km sweep, it would lack FSD or any sort of combat gear, basically an explorer ship launched manned probe, but exploration is getting some attention in the coming year so here's hoping for some good stuff.

Found on NGC 3199 Sector MC-V c2-3:

Fungal cones
NGC 3199 Sector MC-V c2-3 B 2 A -39.5304 75.7355

Metallic Magma:
NGC 3199 Sector MC-V c2-3 B 2 A -62.8286 -179.4453 Metallic Magma

Brain trees:
NGC 3199 Sector MC-V c2-3 B 2 A -53.1068 58.3485
NGC 3199 Sector MC-V c2-3 B 2 A 36.1365 39.6887
NGC 3199 Sector MC-V c2-3 B 2 A 40.0877 43.32
YWJdpfS.png

Last two are another case of brain trees in the middle of the crater and another location inside the splash zone - roughly where my ship points on this picture (you can see the ejecta crater on the right):
LHdnxGA.png
I am not looking that much inside the splash zones so I would assume most of the craters may have additional locations in there apart from the one in the middle.

I'm out in the Black near Sag A*, and having never searched for any of these wonders I thought I'd give it a go. So after doing some research yesterday, I tried and failed last night. No issue there, why would i think I would be successful at the first time.
But I remembered seeing some screenshots of the surface maps at different distances, and a screenshot of the actual surface as a guide to assist you in what should look out for. Dammed if I can remember where or who posted them.

Hoping for some help here in locating those screenies.

I'm out in the Black near Sag A*, and having never searched for any of these wonders I thought I'd give it a go. So after doing some research yesterday, I tried and failed last night. No issue there, why would i think I would be successful at the first time.
But I remembered seeing some screenshots of the surface maps at different distances, and a screenshot of the actual surface as a guide to assist you in what should look out for. Dammed if I can remember where or who posted them.

Hoping for some help here in locating those screenies.
attachment.php

Don't know of what screenshots you are talking about but I find this one to be of some use.

Last edited:
Found a pair of potatoes, this one has silicate vapur geysers (revealing this site in only 15 minutes), and the other has iron magma - may look at it later too.

It is nice to be back in business after a long period of bubble dwelling!

imhxLk3.jpg

Water geysers are amazing :cool:. Now I've realized that I've missed a lot of things over the past few months. Wasted my time with landing on bodies to search for jumponium materials only :rolleyes:.

Thanks to all for all these hints, tips, information, suggestions etc. etc. Very useful this thread!

Here are 3 places on an icy moon of a ringed gas giant:

Major Water Geysers
HIP 107460 B 4 a
Coordinates -14.44 / -106.73
Distance to Sol 401 LYs
59kDvR7.jpg

EjQgqEs.jpg

AGy99st.jpg
Major Water Geysers
HIP 107460 B 4 a
Coordinates -73.84 / -97.29
Distance to Sol 401 LYs