MWSOG: Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology

A squadron will be created for this purpose and cmdrs who choose to can join and use squadron bookmarks to share the systems where Braintrees stop appearing.

Etc.

----------------------------------

The more in-game it's made, the more the question of reward will come up from the community, but my inclination would be not to offer any credit based reward (other than what people would earn from UC and the Codex for the scans), and to do it more as a general exploration and discovery activity. People who are interested will join in, and people who only do things for credits won't, which I'd be fine with personally.

What's people's initial thoughts?

Well put me down for a part in this endevour, what part I will play I don't yet know, however rewards will probably be the last thing on any explorers mind with the new mechanic, you get the same reward for the initial honk as you do now, you get extra for the FSS scan, on top of that you get bonuses for scanning planets and moons with probes, and yet another bonus for flying down and scanning objects on the surface with your composition scanner! To be honest if the only thing you are interested in is money then exploration is probably the best time for money option for the casual player.

But as we all know, some of us don't really care that much at all about money, its the exploration that counts.

I have been thinking to suggest this - so yes, a nice idea as I have yet to find any Brain Trees - or any significant Biological sites.
Put me down and then some suggested general locations would be good - personally I was going to explore around Colonia.

Well put me down for a part in this endevour, what part I will play I don't yet know, however rewards will probably be the last thing on any explorers mind with the new mechanic, you get the same reward for the initial honk as you do now, you get extra for the FSS scan, on top of that you get bonuses for scanning planets and moons with probes, and yet another bonus for flying down and scanning objects on the surface with your composition scanner! To be honest if the only thing you are interested in is money then exploration is probably the best time for money option for the casual player.

But as we all know, some of us don't really care that much at all about money, its the exploration that counts.

I just hope the "financial" rewards for the deeper explorations is sufficient to actually encourage more people to do the deeper exploration.

A REP if I can for someone finally posting the exploration progression and that there are additional rewards for the deeper look.

I just hope the "financial" rewards for the deeper explorations is sufficient to actually encourage more people to do the deeper exploration.

A REP if I can for someone finally posting the exploration progression and that there are additional rewards for the deeper look.

All I can say is I got a bigger payout for 4kly run than I had for any exploration run before that, close to 100m and that's without landing and getting bonuses for surface features, so I expect we will all be rich!

Update Day!! Some changes are afoot so OP will be under construction as it were. Website should be good to go by end of this week as well as the new catalog and everything else. Keep an eye for the new Geologic Trailer and it's eventual release in about two weeks....maybe earlier.

Update Day!! Some changes are afoot so OP will be under construction as it were. Website should be good to go by end of this week as well as the new catalog and everything else. Keep an eye for the new Geologic Trailer and it's eventual release in about two weeks....maybe earlier.

Mission accomplished, low temperature biology found at 130k, crystalline shards, check your codex for sanguinous sector! (I think that's how you spell it!)

Mission accomplished, low temperature biology found at 130k, crystalline shards, check your codex for sanguinous sector! (I think that's how you spell it!)

Very nice! They looked to still be intermingled with fumaroles, that's very interesting. In any case, I think these are the fabled crystalline forests that people have been talking about for a long time.

Btw, one of our canonn guys has reported that space pumpkins (or whatever they're called now) can exist past temperatures of 1000K =)

Last edited:
Very nice! They looked to still be intermingled with fumaroles, that's very interesting. In any case, I think these are the fabled crystalline forests that people have been talking about for a long time.

Btw, one of our canonn guys has reported that space pumpkins (or whatever they're called now) can exist past temperatures of 1000K =)

Yes, if you scan the fumaroles mixed between they do scan as volcanic, yet the site itself lists as biology

And something else confirmed, I have a positive result of both sulpher dioxide and iron magma vulcanism on this one body! So we now know there is more than one type of vulcanism possible on one body!

Last edited:
So that's got to be something to do with fate right? The day the release of 3.3 goes live the twist control on my joystick dies on me!!!

Yes, if you scan the fumaroles mixed between they do scan as volcanic, yet the site itself lists as biology

And something else confirmed, I have a positive result of both sulpher dioxide and iron magma vulcanism on this one body! So we now know there is more than one type of vulcanism possible on one body!

That's pretty amazing, do you have a screenshot of the planet details and such?

That's pretty amazing, do you have a screenshot of the planet details and such?

If you scan them with the composition scanner it's recorded in the journal, so that's very nice as a confirmation of multiple types of vulcanism, I will dig out the lines and post them, I didn't take any extra screenshots of the needes as I posted some from the beta. I can get planet details easily enough.

Last edited:
It's a golden age of geological discovery!!!

Don't know if you're doing anything with squadrons but if you want a temporary one, research vessel squad "Gnosis" is open to applications.

It's a golden age of geological discovery!!!

Don't know if you're doing anything with squadrons but if you want a temporary one, research vessel squad "Gnosis" is open to applications.

Not so sure about the discovery. So far wing mates don't seem to get automatic credit for what the other wing mate scans.

Squadron Harriman and Strong LTD (HASL) is also open for business.

I had a planet with two types of geology today: iron magma fumeroles and silicon vapor geysers. Planet details screen said it had silicon vapor geysers but clearly it had more than just that!

I had a planet with two types of geology today: iron magma fumeroles and silicon vapor geysers. Planet details screen said it had silicon vapor geysers but clearly it had more than just that!

I love the new varieties. Everything makes me want to take that extra time to visit all the sites on a planet just to makes sure I'm not missing something. Haha. The other day was doing some geo site hopping and told myself, alright that's been enough time to move on, but part of me was afraid the next site might be some really cool view or something different, so I hopped one last time and was given the best view I 'd gotten on that planet. Loving all of this. Feels good to be an Explorer again.

If you scan them with the composition scanner it's recorded in the journal, so that's very nice as a confirmation of multiple types of vulcanism, I will dig out the lines and post them, I didn't take any extra screenshots of the needes as I posted some from the beta. I can get planet details easily enough.

OK, How do you get the COMPOSITION SCANNER TO work??

OK, How do you get the COMPOSITION SCANNER TO work??

You need it bound to a firegroup, and you need to be in analysis mode. It can be done in ship our SRV, but you need to assign it in either.

Then, you target the required item, and use it like any other scanner (though it completes quicker than most). If you aren't lined up properly, it will say "nothing found" on the hud.

Last edited:
You need it bound to a firegroup, and you need to be in analysis mode. It can be done in ship our SRV, but you need to assign it in either.

Then, you target the required item, and use it like any other scanner (though it completes quicker than most). If you aren't lined up properly, it will say "nothing found" on the hud.

Well, SRV says MODULE CANNOT BE USED IN THIS COCKPIT MODE no matter it I an in the cockpit or the turret no matter if I have something locked or nothing locked.

D.D. Harriman: if I am reading your post correctly, I believe you may have misinterpreted what the game means by "cockpit mode." Understandable, since the SRV has Cockpit view and Turret View, but those are not what the game is talking about.

By "cockpit mode", the game is referring to the two different modes that your ship / SRV can operate in: Combat, or Analysis. The same keybind that you used in your ship to enter Analysis Mode will also work in your SRV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom