MWSOG: Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology

I found the field of Volcanic Vents on Enceladus at 69 x 38. There must be over 20 separate vents in this area in various stages of activity. That activity comes and goes with some of the vents shutting down for long periods of time and then coming back to life. Others seem to go on uninterrupted.

This on and off behavior kind of makes it hard to get the entire field in a screen shot that looks like it does when you are actually there. So by all means, go have a look for yourself! The field is easy to spot from the air with your naked eye as a bunch of orange points set against and otherwise dark surface. Not to mention the POI indicators too.

But anyway... here are some shots I snapped while I was there.

enceladus_vents5.jpgenceladus_vents2.jpgenceladus_vents1.jpgenceladus_vents0.jpgenceladus_vents4.jpgenceladus_vents_closeup.jpg

The astronomy buff in me has something to say about all of this...

While these look very cool, we should not be finding this type of vent on this moon! Enceladus is a ICY BODY, and the vents in real life are spewing out SALT WATER, not smoke and fire fountains. Enceladus in the game appears to have a rocky surface, so these volcanic vents don't look out of place, but I am wondering why the moon has been modeled so wrong in the game like this?

All that aside... Thanks again for posting the coordinates to this impressive field of volcanic vents on the game's version of Enceladus! :D

Last edited:
Anyone found out yet whats the name of the system at that EGX video, geysir shooting SRV high up in the air? I really have to get to test those.. :D

Last edited:
Anyone found out yet whats the name of the system at that EGX video, geysir shooting SRV high up in the air? I really have to get to test those.. :D

Not that I am aware of. That video was amazing! And I can't wait to find a planet with those!

And THAT kind of activity is what Enceladus SHOULD HAVE going on instead of what I saw there today. The real moon's high pressure geysers shoot enough salt water into space to have actually created the "E" Ring around Saturn, so it is a pretty major GOOF on the part of Frontier to have put volcanic vents on this moon instead. And thus missing a great opportunity to model in-game the now famous salt water geysers of the REAL Enceladus.

Future thread plans

Hello CMDRS, some exciting news for this thread. I want to keep this going for more than the beta obviously and while we do have destinations for the upcoming passengers stuff listed, I want to start a sort of guide to the galaxy if you will....a MadRaptors Mad Guide to the Galaxy type of thing and so I have begun updating to a much better spreadsheet as well as working on a guide to geysers and fumaroles. It will include samples of all types found so far, each material that can be found and what they look like. Guide on how to search for them and whatevr else can be found in the future. U want this to extend to the archeology that exists in the game as well as any other discovery found planetside. The guide will be my take on a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy full of hopefully witty remarks about the planet's visited but ultimately it will be a resource for other cmdrs to come and read up on all things planetside and to be able to find them with ease. Like every first explorer we will do the hard part of finding these things and catloging them for the future. Thank you and stay tuned. At work now so these changes will be implemented within a day or two and see by the weekend. Of course at betas end we will begin again on the no e final thread. Thank you and I enjoy all your discoveries so far and in the future

Also thinking of a weekly round up newsletter of the best discoveris of the week and what not. Cannon is the science but we need an explores group. Full of people who might not be all about the sciens but rather the experience of the sights and sounds of the universe. Of this gets big enough or enough people like the idea we can even come up with our own explorers group name and join the ranks of Hutton truckers and cannon...

O7 CMDRS and fly safe
And add if your like

CMDR MADRAPTOR

Last edited:
Not that I am aware of. That video was amazing! And I can't wait to find a planet with those!

And THAT kind of activity is what Enceladus SHOULD HAVE going on instead of what I saw there today. The real moon's high pressure geysers shoot enough salt water into space to have actually created the "E" Ring around Saturn, so it is a pretty major GOOF on the part of Frontier to have put volcanic vents on this moon instead. And thus missing a great opportunity to model in-game the now famous salt water geysers of the REAL Enceladus.

Nope and I've tried everything sharpening, going frame by frame. I think O is the first letter of the system and by the clarity of the nebula in the background it looks like it is below the galactic plane. I feel like it might even be the col sectors that's permit locked until after beta

Nope and I've tried everything sharpening, going frame by frame. I think O is the first letter of the system and by the clarity of the nebula in the background it looks like it is below the galactic plane. I feel like it might even be the col sectors that's permit locked until after beta

Very interesting! ;)

I certainly hope that we get a nice sprinkling of that more intense style of Geyser in the game. Obviously everyone is scattered all over the bubble, so it would be nice if everyone could find a planet in their favorite region of space that had this cool stuff going on!

And now that Frontier has created this new feature, I really think they need to apply it to Jupiter's famous moon IO! After all, IO is the most volcanically active body in our solar system, and we really should be seeing those HUGE Sulfur volcanoes going off 24/7 and would be easily visible from space!

Very interesting! ;)

I certainly hope that we get a nice sprinkling of that more intense style of Geyser in the game. Obviously everyone is scattered all over the bubble, so it would be nice if everyone could find a planet in their favorite region of space that had this cool stuff going on!

And now that Frontier has created this new feature, I really think they need to apply it to Jupiter's famous moon IO! After all, IO is the most volcanically active body in our solar system, and we really should be seeing those HUGE Sulfur volcanoes going off 24/7 and would be easily visible from space!

Here is to hoping once it goes live there will be some polishing and perhaps some bump in numbers.

Evening once again, has been a less than productive day searching for carbon dioxide volcanism or any magma types.
I looked at the Geyser vid, trying to deduce where it could be,, very unclear but it could be democracy in the goverment type below system. not definate but its not Anarchy system, too short to fit.

Decided to take a look around Enceladus for the first time. Visited the Firey ones at 69 38 , but the other 55 46 one seemed bugged yes.
Location is there but nothing gets drawn in . had other POI sites nearby but random.. reinstanced it and still found nothing.

Hoped that the massive geysers in the video may of been on this moon, lot of time and found nothing. expected as much but still hoped.

Searched random systems,, looking for viable planets, difficult since beta seems to not remember much exploration data , and having to scan many things, at times i flipped back to 2.1 to check data before switch back to 2.2 to save time. heh

A couple of missing locations in the spreadsheet.
2 other sites on Actaea in Sol.
10.0 -12.8 was in the old thread , pic showed medium size chimneys at the time,, when i visited i saw watery rocky fumerole 3stones. Possibly need to revisit and check that site myself again.
11.5 2.0 grey smokey fumerole 3stones

Further out at the Pleiades, Pleiades sector JC-U B3-2 1 -88 -25 Small muddy fumeroles. Green gas emissions at times ,Crystals, image album for that site. http://imgur.com/a/E7GUX

In the end, many hours later of fruitless searching, came across a little potato world 800km small. Chewed up and worth a look for Sillicate Vapour volcanism , well small target to check hehe

11 CEPHEI A1 A -33.2 -18.3 album images for that site. 4 pics. http://imgur.com/a/hcuDu
Very unremarkable , similar to JCU system, but no activity overall except a little steam from one like a kettle boiling,rest are just lots of muddy nipples.
FZapYzY.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

StefanOS

Volunteer Moderator
Can someone check LFT 926 the planet B 1 , at -63,7 -14,3
I found a small blue zone but nothing in it!

[video=youtube_share;ZFnk7s0mR2M]https://youtu.be/ZFnk7s0mR2M[/video]
[video=youtube_share;VAKPpmXe9xo]https://youtu.be/VAKPpmXe9xo[/video]

Last edited:
I've noticed a few things here on the geysers - they are not always spawning, much like the same bug that occurred back with the Barnacles originally. This seems to occur pretty much constantly.

sWAAIJZ.jpg

The other thing (and people may have already figured this out), is that geysers are not always venting. It depends on the time of day, i.e. if the sun is present, which affects ambient temps. It also seems that some geysers need time to build up pressure before they will vent.

Here is what looks like a water one on Enceladus - right among all the fiery ones. This is the same geyser taken from different angles just a few minutes apart. Eventually it died down to nothing:

8GAJKOl.jpg

So the fact these geysers are not always spawning, combined with the fact that they don't always vent might well explain why they are so hard to find...

Last edited:
I've noticed a few things here on the geysers - they are not always spawning, much like the same bug that occurred back with the Barnacles originally. This seems to occur pretty much constantly.

http://i.imgur.com/sWAAIJZ.jpg

The other thing (and people may have already figured this out), is that geysers are not always venting. It depends on the time of day, i.e. if the sun is present, which affects ambient temps. It also seems that some geysers need time to build up pressure before they will vent.

Here is what looks like a water one on Enceladus - right among all the fiery ones. This is the same geyser taken from different angles just a few minutes apart. Eventually it died down to nothing:

http://i.imgur.com/8GAJKOl.jpg

So the fact these geysers are not always spawning, combined with the fact that they don't always vent might well explain why they are so hard to find...

Yeah, I'm tempted to go and park next to that patch I found in Dahan just to see if they spring into life at certain times of day.

That video shown at elite meet with the srv being launched skywards was that same geyser patch (well same planet at least).

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm tempted to go and park next to that patch I found in Dahan just to see if they spring into life at certain times of day.

That video shown at elite meet with the srv being launched skywards was that same geyser patch (well same planet at least).

Nice! How do you know it is the same planet btw?

http://i.imgur.com/sWAAIJZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8GAJKOl.jpg

I am also pretty sure there is a collection of bugs around them. Let's hope next beta patch will solve this !

Nice! How do you know it is the same planet btw?

Well I can't be 100% sure, but after a lot of squinting at that video i could just about make out the system name of Dahan and some rough coordinates. There's only one planet there with volcanism so that narrowed it down a bit.

No guarantees of course, its just my own theory, but the terrain looks right and they are the green silicate vapour geysers. Right now they're just not very active :(

It could all be coincidence.. just seemed a little too lucky for there to be a geyser patch right where I went to look :)

Last edited:
Found another geyser patch on Coltan in the Dahan system, coordinates 50.8736/-78.2982.

EF6vOhN.jpg

Last edited:
Totally agree we had these same issues with engineers materials too few out there after all these are just features to look at atm so why cant we find them scattered everywhere, hopefully FD will jump on this quickly.

Top Bottom