My concerns about the game.

Right, hi there! New in the forums. I'd imagine some of these issues have been addressed already but I feel the need to voice some of my concerns about the game.

Now, I'm not just gonna list off fantasy features here, I know that some things ("Hotel managment with multiplayer abilities!") will either take too long, not have enough general public appeal or are just unrealistic.

Before I do, let me point out I am excited as ❤︎❤︎❤︎❤︎ about the game and think it looks great, and yes, I do realize the game is still in Alpha.

But since you never know which issues will be tackled and which won't, here's some of my concerns:

-Most rides seem to have built in theming. If I want to build the flying aces ride in a jungle theme or a barnstormer theme, a skyscraper might look a little out of place. Same goes for the rides with the sun/aquatic themes. I am REALLY hoping that like RCT2, every ride that comes themed has a non-themed version avaliable. It could be a real issue for the game in my book if they don't, and will really limit what we can do with our parks. While it's nice to have the occasional ride with built in theming, if I wanted to have a certain kind of ride in a theme it's not avaliable in, I'd be extremely bummed out. Generic rides let you theme them yourselves.

-I was SO EXCITED about not having those clunky old entrance and exit booths like in RCT that it took me a while to realize how big and intrusive that "ticket booth" thing is! In videos and pictures I've seen, once you have a park that's throughly themed, that ticket booth tends to stick out like a sore thumb, not to mention the amount of space it takes is pretty big! It will be really difficult to create smaller-looking amusement parks or carnivals with giant signs leading into every kiddie carousel.

-Plazas. Plazas plazas plazas.
We need them, and frankly? An actual plaza is probably the last thing we need them FOR.
We need them to create floors for the insides of buildings. Or for when there's lots of storefronts right next to each other. A plaza seems like the best way to do that.
Personally, I'd also love to see some sort of railing system implemented, because often smaller rides don't have a big snaking queue of their own, but just railing on top of the footpath, but... That might be going into "tall order" territory.

-Editable height on tower rides.
This might not be as big of a deal for everyone, but I think the hardcore theme park managment enthusiasts among us really want this. Sometimes you need a small tower, sometimes you need a big tower. Sometimes you need a medium tower. Either to fit it with the scenery, to have versatility in your parks, or to make it reach something specific (Like, making a tower that reaches the top of a cave, or pierces a hole through it, or an indoor park's freefall tower) sounds pretty neat to me.

-Optional sharp corners on paths. Curvy is nice but sometimes that's just not the look you wanna go for. Especially if you wanna keep the path next to a wall corner or something. This will also make queue line switchbacks look way nicer.

-The voices of peeps sound kind of Helium-y and acted. Not entirely unlike RCT3...
I'm not sure about everyone but personally that bugs me. That squeaky little collective "Whoa!" as the train leaves the station doesn't sound much like real people so much as a kids' show.

Those are my major concerns. I have some minor ones as well (ability to place paths through that Disko ride thing, etc...) , and I also left out any concerns I have about the coaster editor, since I know it's incomplete yet (still holding my fingers for vertical and beyond-vertical construction though!), but those are the things that I feel both bug me the most and also appeal to other players.

I hope the devs read this and consider what I have to say. Thank you!

Last edited:
Yeah i agree except for the tower heights, i dont care too much about this one. Please Frontier give us the option to use a fully themed and a "vanilla" version of rides, you dont need every ride to fit every theme but a blank version without a definded style would be highly apperciated!

Oh, and a minor addition - a pause button on animatronics might be neat. In case you want a statue of the thing rather than an animatronic.

Welcome aboard man. Here is some feedback.

-Most rides seem to have built in theming. If I want to build the flying aces ride in a jungle theme or a barnstormer theme, a skyscraper might look a little out of place. Same goes for the rides with the sun/aquatic themes. I am REALLY hoping that like RCT2, every ride that comes themed has a non-themed version avaliable. It could be a real issue for the game in my book if they don't, and will really limit what we can do with our parks. While it's nice to have the occasional ride with built in theming, if I wanted to have a certain kind of ride in a theme it's not avaliable in, I'd be extremely bummed out. Generic rides let you theme them yourselves.

Agreed. There has been some information on this one, from the Q&A sessions. Re-posting. Have in mind that the two last answers are more recent (for what it's worth).

(click for full res)

Also, this particular Q&A with Sam Denney is pretty cool to read (the guy is a veteran, and was involved in both RCT2 and RCT3, among other projects).

I think that in the end we are going to have rides that are heavily themed, and rides that are more vanilla. All rides will be customizable on some extent, but the extent itself remains to be seen. It is a valid concern, I don't think though that Frontier can do a lot about it before launch for some of the rides (the amount of rework needed is a lot).

The best option would be for every flat ride to plop in a generic variant, and then have powerful customization options (including adding modular pieces into the ride itself) to make it into whatever we like. Let's see how this unfolds.

-I was SO EXCITED about not having those clunky old entrance and exit booths like in RCT that it took me a while to realize how big and intrusive that "ticket booth" thing is! In videos and pictures I've seen, once you have a park that's throughly themed, that ticket booth tends to stick out like a sore thumb, not to mention the amount of space it takes is pretty big! It will be really difficult to create smaller-looking amusement parks or carnivals with giant signs leading into every kiddie carousel.

I wouldn't worry about that..yet. We have seen more than one booths with different sizes and attributes in livestreams etc. Also, I am pretty sure that we are going to have booths that work like the modular shop building, thus giving us the opportunity to obscure them completely inside a building.

-Plazas. Plazas plazas plazas.
We need them, and frankly? An actual plaza is probably the last thing we need them FOR.
We need them to create floors for the insides of buildings. Or for when there's lots of storefronts right next to each other. A plaza seems like the best way to do that.
Personally, I'd also love to see some sort of railing system implemented, because often smaller rides don't have a big snaking queue of their own, but just railing on top of the footpath, but... That might be going into "tall order" territory.

The ability to make open pedestrial areas and plazas with the paths that the game provides is crucial imo. I think that this has been the most requested item since the alpha started, and Frontier would do well to heed the advice.

Regarding railings, we know that this is coming for stations (the empty part of the platform you see now). It may also come if a good way to split a big queue in 1m width queues is possible in the future (right now, you can make 1m wide queues, complete with fences that look like railings).

-Editable height on tower rides.
Sometimes you need a small tower, sometimes you need a big tower. Sometimes you need a medium tower. Either to fit it with the scenery, to have versatility in your parks, or to make it reach something specific (Like, making a tower that reaches the top of a cave, or pierces a hole through it, or an indoor park's freefall tower) sounds pretty neat to me.

This one is a pet peeve of mine. I really want this to happen, especially since it will also have a meaningful impact on the actual stats of the ride (excitement, monetization etc etc). No word on that yet.

Lastly, regarding paths below the Disko, I don't think it is going to happen. All flat rides are gated and walled as individual pieces in the game. We recently found out that you can add scenery to obscure the fences, and that due to the way their collision boxes (and the voxel terrain map) work it is possible to run a coaster or even scenery through them. But making a separate path inside the ride is not going to happen I think (a hint is that flat rides come with open walking areas pre-installed for moving in and out of a ride.

^Thank you for your comment! I'm not really that concerned about the disko ride. I mean, it would be nice, since that's the way they're usually built in real life but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

As for the examples you gave given my concern about not enough generic-looking rides, it seems what Planet Coaster said basically amounts to "you can change lights, the scenery around the ride, etc. etc." but I did not get the impression that we're gonna get a version of the flying aces without the skyscraper. Though there was no real definite response, so here's hoping.

The entrance booth thing - I don't want to obscure it with a building, my issue is that there has to be a big construction there to begin with. Obscuring it with a larger one defeats the purpose a bit.

And there were two things I forgot to mention, I now edited them into the original post.

Last edited:
!

I'm not too worried about this, and believe it is a limitation in the current Alpha build. If you go back and look at some of the developer diaries you'll see different looking ride entrance arches/ticket booths. I think the variety WILL be there in the end for this type of thing. I'd have to go back through the videos, but I seem to recall someone on the forum spotted a ride queue with no entrance arch at all too. I could be mistaken about that, but it would be a welcome option just to have the first single queue block having a staff member but no arch/booth.

Like you, I do hope park options will extend to ride theming itself too though with generic version of rides we can theme ourselves.

Oh, and a minor addition - a pause button on animatronics might be neat. In case you want a statue of the thing rather than an animatronic.

I posted a thread in the suggestions forum on this very subject yesterday. I'd appreciate that option for a few reasons. I noticed in the third developer diary that the standalone cannon objects are animated, whereas in the Alpha they are (currently?) static. I prefer them static personally, but options are always nice, and since they may become animated like in the diary in a future alpha build I would really like the option to toggle animatronic animations off and on for those and other props like them.

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/3040-Toggle-object-and-scenery-animations-off-on

Watch out OP, people on this forum become very irate if you point out stuff that has already been confirmed and such. Other than that, I agree with the points you stated above. Those things bother me just as much.

Top Bottom