My first week in open

Ever since I got wasted by Feisty Goat & co. about three times in a row, my life has improved greatly. I was suddenly motivated to do engineering, which I really enjoy, and PvP is a blast, though I stink at 1v1. Interdicted Harry Potter a month ago and managed to survive the encounter, my current PvP high point.

So yeah, go get ganked, it will change your life. Just have the rebuy.

Now I interdict ppl all the time just for giggles. Not really a ganker though. I pulled a guy last week in my DBS, chewed him down to 50% hull, then let him go just because. Hopefully his life will be enriched.
Hey i know feisty goat, nice guy really

I put a Guardian shield booster and 2 standard boosters on to take my shields up to 518mj absolute. It really nerfed my speed, though. My boost is now down to 852. :sneaky:

To each their own.

Not everyone plays the game for blood pumping excitement, some just play to chill.

Fun first, whatever gives you that fun, that is why we play games.

Because rebuy and flying a sidewinder is even more boring than being safe.

Fair enough (although don't fly without rebuy of course).

I guess the hysterical skittishness and fear of other players on these forums gets quite baffling and prompts my curiosity. I just don't know why people get so worked up by the threat of PvPers, in a game where you can make hundreds of millions of credits an hour and regain any credit losses within a short time frame.

I could understand maybe in season one, where a multi-million credit rebuy used to hurt.

I guess the hysterical skittishness and fear of other players on these forums gets quite baffling and prompts my curiosity. I just don't know why people get so worked up by the threat of PvPers, in a game where you can make hundreds of millions of credits an hour and regain any credit losses within a short time frame.

I could understand maybe in season one, where a multi-million credit rebuy used to hurt.

Season one is my big concern. Ganking newbies in Deciat is a big thing for them. They've not got engineered ships and they're not used to interdiction. The flight to Maia and back for the meta-alloy was the furthest they've ever flown. They are dead three seconds after they drop out of supercruise, and now they have to do it all again. Is it any wonder they decide to make the next trip in Solo?

In season two, it's not so much of a kick in the head, but it's a valid concern for pilots. I've often had only one rebuy for my ship. If I got ganked twice I'd have lost several weeks of progression and be back on my previous ship. Not everyone wants to follow YouTube videos to make money fast; they want to blaze their own trail by trail and error and find what works for them. Maybe that fear is exaggerated; it might be unlikely to happen but it could happen and there's no way to find out unless you try and it's not worth the bother.

But credits are not the only concern.

Imagine that you've got a sales job. One morning you kiss your wife and children goodbye and drive up to a prospective customer. You'll miss your daughter's parent's evening but there's no helping that. The drive takes six hours on jammed roads in the pouring rain. You get the the hotel and book in for two nights. The next morning you spend eight intense hours in meetings pulling every skill you have to close the deal. Finally they are ready to sign on the dotted line. Back in the hotel you phone your wife. She tells you about the parents evening you missed and you make plans together for the commission you will be earning off this deal. It's not a lot of money, but it will be useful. The next morning, elated, you jump back in the car for another six hours of traffic queues and rain. You get into the office and go to tell your boss the good news. He tells you that the board decided yesterday to take the company in a new direction and he called the customer to tell them that the deal is off.

Do you get angry? Why? You still get your salary. You still closed the deal, even if it didn't go through.

Catharsis can be fun, but not everyone is looking for it and not everyone is able to cope with it. There's at least one commander who plays Elite Dangerous to cope with chronic anxiety, and we all have bad days from time to time. Elite is probably unique among PvP games in that not every player has signed up to be attacked or wants to attack anyone. You can't play a pacifist in PUBG but you can in Elite Dangerous.

Season one is my big concern. Ganking newbies in Deciat is a big thing for them. They've not got engineered ships and they're not used to interdiction. The flight to Maia and back for the meta-alloy was the furthest they've ever flown. They are dead three seconds after they drop out of supercruise, and now they have to do it all again. Is it any wonder they decide to make the next trip in Solo?

In season two, it's not so much of a kick in the head, but it's a valid concern for pilots. I've often had only one rebuy for my ship. If I got ganked twice I'd have lost several weeks of progression and be back on my previous ship. Not everyone wants to follow YouTube videos to make money fast; they want to blaze their own trail by trail and error and find what works for them. Maybe that fear is exaggerated; it might be unlikely to happen but it could happen and there's no way to find out unless you try and it's not worth the bother.

Imagine that you've got a sales job. One morning you kiss your wife and children goodbye and drive up to a prospective customer. You'll miss your daughter's parent's evening but there's no helping that. The drive takes six hours on jammed roads in the pouring rain. You get the the hotel and book in for two nights. The next morning you spend eight intense hours in meetings pulling every skill you have to close the deal. Finally they are ready to sign on the dotted line. Back in the hotel you phone your wife. She tells you about the parents evening you missed and you make plans together for the commission you will be earning off this deal. It's not a lot of money, but it will be useful. The next morning, elated, you jump back in the car for another six hours of traffic queues and rain. You get into the office and go to tell your boss the good news. He tells you that the board decided yesterday to take the company in a new direction and he called the customer to tell them that the deal is off.

Do you get angry? Why? You still get your salary. You still closed the deal, even if it didn't go through.

Catharsis can be fun, but not everyone is looking for it and not everyone is able to cope with it. There's at least one commander who plays Elite Dangerous to cope with chronic anxiety, and we all have bad days from time to time. Elite is probably unique among PvP games in that not every player has signed up to be attacked or wants to attack anyone. You can't play a pacifist in PUBG but you can in Elite Dangerous.

I like the analogy :)

It also depends on what time it is, more griefers come out later.
0gsnzt7.gif

Season one is my big concern.

By season one I meant the timeframe between 2014-2015 when large credit rewards were much harder to obtain, yet rebuys were pretty much the same as they are now.

Ganking newbies in Deciat is a big thing for them. They've not got engineered ships and they're not used to interdiction. The flight to Maia and back for the meta-alloy was the furthest they've ever flown. They are dead three seconds after they drop out of supercruise, and now they have to do it all again. Is it any wonder they decide to make the next trip in Solo?

I wouldn't blame them no, but I'd also question the game design here... Most of the gameplay associated with unlocking engineers is pure torture at the best of times.

The advantage of visiting player hotspots in open is that learning from mistakes (especially in hostile player scenarios) makes you a far better player going forward. My skill went up massively once I stopped avoiding the busy systems and forced myself to go to CGs, sure I got killed a bunch of times but I can't imagine staying in that bubble of safety that I clinged to in the early months, I would have quit the game a long time ago had I not forced myself to take risks. Each to their own though I guess.

You should get angry or upset by bad real-life scenarios... letting in game ones affect you in a similar way though is a bit silly IMO. People take computer games WAY too seriously, it can be quite scary how worked up some get, they probably shouldn't play multiplayer games.

No I know, players can choose any playstyle they like, they just need to pick the right mode or location... Hysteria about griefers borders on mania sometimes in this community though, with their open-play distribution hugely exaggerated by some (Mobius pluggers usually).

Remember though, if you click 'Open Play' you are essentially consenting to PvP encounters. A lot of players will no doubt deny this, but it is the case regardless.

Fair enough (although don't fly without rebuy of course).

Non pvpers still wont enjoy pvp even if the rebuy cost nothing. People just aren't interested and prompts none of my curiosity at all. Elite was a single player game for many many years, and a lot of the older players are used to that system, and have no appetite for pvp in any case due to age. Playing games for an adrenaline shot is something that starts to become taxing on the body once you hit your mid 30s. Has nothing to do with winning or losing either. After a certain point, you won't feel great afterwards regardless of how the scenario turned out.

As it was mentioned earlier most of the griefers are hanging out near few well known hot spots like Sol and few engineer's bases. If you go to one of these hot spots you have to expect them to be there and most likely they will attack you (this is what they do), just like flying in thargoid space and being interdicted by thargoid. If you not looking for a fight and you need to get to Jameson (for example) just go solo or in private group. This is what I do and there's nothing wrong with changing your game mode as you like. Otherwise open is fun and absolute majority of Commanders are decent people who would always help you out either with some advice, firepower or whatever else it might be. Several years ago I moved few hundred LY away from Sol and ever since I was only rammed once by a newbie Commander who collided with me by accident and was sincerely apologetic. Never been interdicted by a Commander either, except for the earlier days when I forgot to pay my dues and was flying around with bounty on my head. LOL

Top Bottom