My new Python just paid for itself in one trip.

Got over 100 today finally. 150 next time ha.
Now I can hear Obsidian Ant's voice on the tannoy as I accidentally stumbled on Obsidian Orbital while discovering Maia system.

There's so much wrong regarding credits earning in this game.
Mining makes you a billionaire in a couple hours while bountyhunting leaves you with bread and water for a month, goodbye balance.

Mining makes you a billionaire in a couple hours while bountyhunting leaves you with bread and water for a month, goodbye balance.
When I started it was the opposite. There's nothing wrong with how it is, but I wouldn't mind seeing a buff to high risk wing assassination missions. The 2.4m or whatever it seems to cap out is a bit laughable. You get more with their bounty and there's often a "kill x number of faction pirates" that you can stack with these and get both at once, but for a stand alone mission, killing a pirate lord who uses engineered weps and has a wing of 3 vultures should pay in the neighborhood of 10m.

When I started it was the opposite. There's nothing wrong with how it is, but I wouldn't mind seeing a buff to high risk wing assassination missions. The 2.4m or whatever it seems to cap out is a bit laughable. You get more with their bounty and there's often a "kill x number of faction pirates" that you can stack with these and get both at once, but for a stand alone mission, killing a pirate lord who uses engineered weps and has a wing of 3 vultures should pay in the neighborhood of 10m.

When I started playing ED during and after the GPP it was a real accomplishment when you could buy a Python, a full fletched Anaconda was almost decadent.
Nowadays it's a matter of a couple hours mining and you're done.
Credits hardly has any real meaning anymore because it's so easy to get them and ships is the only thing you can spend them on.

When I started playing ED during and after the GPP it was a real accomplishment when you could buy a Python, a full fletched Anaconda was almost decadent.
Nowadays it's a matter of a couple hours mining and you're done.
Credits hardly has any real meaning anymore because it's so easy to get them and ships is the only thing you can spend them on.
They aren't meaningless if they are the currency of the civilized galaxy. You can only spend every form of in game asset or currency on ships. Even materials only upgrade modules that go on ships. Even if having plenty credits renders having more of them useless, you still need them to have a rebuy. I still use them as a measuring stick for whether or not I want to take mission A or mission B if both are the same type of game play. There's a reason people don't often stop for the Bromellite. The game play is the same - the money, not so much.

They aren't meaningless if they are the currency of the civilized galaxy. You can only spend every form of in game asset or currency on ships. Even materials only upgrade modules that go on ships. Even if having plenty credits renders having more of them useless, you still need them to have a rebuy. I still use them as a measuring stick for whether or not I want to take mission A or mission B if both are the same type of game play. There's a reason people don't often stop for the Bromellite. The game play is the same - the money, not so much.

Imho we the players are all filthy rich cmdrs flying around in the most powerfull and expensive ships while the rest of the galactic population have to settle for flying a single mostly cheap ship.
I've got billions in the bank and twenty-four ships, in solo I'm probably the richest independent guy in the bubble.
It's not hard to earn a billion, so rebuys are just symbolic at best.
I just think that earning credits is to easy nowadays, compared to the grind for materials for instance.
I liked earning credits in the old days since you could use different features to get them, materials all have only one or two methods to get them hence gathering them becomes tedious plus the payout in mats can be very frustrating.
Imho the balance has suffered considerably over the years.

Imho we the players are all filthy rich cmdrs flying around in the most powerfull and expensive ships while the rest of the galactic population have to settle for flying a single mostly cheap ship.
I've got billions in the bank and twenty-four ships, in solo I'm probably the richest independent guy in the bubble.
It's not hard to earn a billion, so rebuys are just symbolic at best.
I just think that earning credits is to easy nowadays, compared to the grind for materials for instance.
I liked earning credits in the old days since you could use different features to get them, materials all have only one or two methods to get them hence gathering them becomes tedious plus the payout in mats can be very frustrating.
Imho the balance has suffered considerably over the years.
Mats are easy. I kill a few ships in a "threat level 4" during a pirate kill mission, the mats are plentiful. I can go kill cruise ships in anarchy systems, tons of mats. HGEs are really easy to find, but I can trade up faster than I can go around looking. So I collect mats, trade up, collect again. I have a ton of materials. The raw mats though, those are a bit more of a pain since the crystals disappear now instead of dropping mats. Either way, I know where to go to farm high end raw mats. I know where to go to farm encoded mats (most often not an an encoded signal source that seems to have manufactured mats and only about 50% of the time an actual encoded mat from a private beacon, makes you wonder where the encoded signal is coming from).

Can't disagree with that, it does seem super easy/disproportionate being able to make so much in an hour now, especially when it used to be tough, and I was a big goal to own a Python or Conda. Hell, I bought a Conda last night just so I could jump somewhere quicker, whereas, before Horizons, it was still a distant dream.

On the flip side, I had to spend months prior to Horizons doing bounty hunting, which is where the cash came from to buy a good mining loadout recently. I think there would be a pretty big learning curve if you had just started and tried to make a fortune mining without knowing the basics beforehand.

Mining uses a combination of a lot of skills, good ship control, not dying by boosting into an asteroid, module control, possibly power management, transporting, avoiding pirates, finding bases that payout and so on... so I think you are essentially being rewarded for being able to master, or at least become competent in, many skills at once. I heard somewhere that Frontier doesn't plan on patching this "imbalance" - but perhaps inflation will raise the relative cost of things over time and it won't feel like as much dough anymore - pure speculation as I haven't really seen this happen before.

Can't disagree with that, it does seem super easy/disproportionate being able to make so much in an hour now, especially when it used to be tough, and I was a big goal to own a Python or Conda. Hell, I bought a Conda last night just so I could jump somewhere quicker, whereas, before Horizons, it was still a distant dream.

On the flip side, I had to spend months prior to Horizons doing bounty hunting, which is where the cash came from to buy a good mining loadout recently. I think there would be a pretty big learning curve if you had just started and tried to make a fortune mining without knowing the basics beforehand.

Mining uses a combination of a lot of skills, good ship control, not dying by boosting into an asteroid, module control, possibly power management, transporting, avoiding pirates, finding bases that payout and so on... so I think you are essentially being rewarded for being able to master, or at least become competent in, many skills at once. I heard somewhere that Frontier doesn't plan on patching this "imbalance" - but perhaps inflation will raise the relative cost of things over time and it won't feel like as much dough anymore - pure speculation as I haven't really seen this happen before.

There are so many ships in ED but everyone is able to jump straight ahead to the Anaconda, Python, Beluga, etc. in matter of hours.
In the old days you realy picked your next ship with care because you knew you were gonna spend quite some time in it.
The only ships you realy have to show some effort for are the Cutter and Corvette, the rest is relatively easy to come by nowadays.

These Void Opals are completely ruining the game and what it stood for imho.
I still remember when I bought my first Python, I was so proud while I couldn't even A grade the whole thing yet.
Engineeres weren't a thing yet either,......aaah the days.

Top Bottom