My theory is active development is over

It was satirical because your reply suggested that just because you are personally waiting for things you consider missing it some-how influences Frontier's decision to continue development.

I tried to be funny. I failed :)

I have a feeling that once PZ is launched they will try to keep on milking the cow with Planet Coaster even though the game clearly reached its limits on the technical side. The thing is that the developpers have really good ideas for the game but the performance limits/issues of the game make it really hard to appreciate the effort. I love Planet Coaster but i prefer they take their time and really start focusing on Planet Coaster 2 to give us a better game which i hope will be as much developped on the creative aspect of the game as PC1 is and will be WAY WAY more developped on the management aspect because let's be honest the management on PC 1 was really poor. I say that because there aren't just two types of players (Creator or Manager). In fact, i am both i am a creator who loves to manage the creation I made and that was not interesting enough in PC1

Last edited:
My theory is (but careful, probably just my scatty pre-first-coffee-optimism) that they're working on a great unification, something like a mega-link, between Elite Dangerous, Planet Zoo and Planet Coaster. Quote me on that at the end of 2020... (bookmark this post!)
There are many signs pointing into this direction, last not least the new forum format which only makes sense under the conditions of this 'conspiracy theory'.
I can understand the link between Planet Zoo and Planet Coaster but Elite Dangerous? Really?

I have a feeling that once PZ is launched they will try to keep on milking the cow with Planet Coaster even though the game clearly reached its limits on the technical side. The thing is that the developpers have really good ideas for the game but the performance limits/issues of the game make it really hard to appreciate the effort. I love Planet Coaster but i prefer they take their time and really start focusing on Planet Coaster 2 to give us a better game which i hope will be as much developped on the creative aspect of the game as PC1 is and will be WAY WAY more developped on the management aspect because let's be honest the management on PC 1 was really poor. I say that because there aren't just two types of players (Creator or Manager). In fact, i am both i am a creator who loves to manage the creation I made and that was not interesting enough in PC1
Agreed. Too much potential that is heavy limited is pretty much what sums Planet Coaster 1 up.

We should be seeing activity on steam DB by now relating to a new DLC but there is none. They would have started working on the next DLC right after Ghostbusters. But the game still feels incomplete to me. There are still rides missing like a giant splash flume with steep drops, a Gravitron, a Rockin' Tug, Thunder Bobs, Sky Swing, Slingshot, and more. I think Frontier is moving on to Planet Zoo and leaving Planet Coaster behind.

This can't be true, it musn't

This can't be true, it musn't
It isn't. Its just people getting impatient waiting for the next DLC. The cycle of DLC for Planet Coaster is around every 3-4 months. Ghostbusters DLC is only just 3 months old, so I'm sure we'll hear something within the next month. Development may have slowed down considering the release of Planet Zoo is coming up, but I highly doubt Planet Coaster is done yet.

Funny that people still hold on to that "one themed DLC per 3 months" paradigm. Frontier already deviated from the pattern when they released a ride pack a month after World's Fair and the next themed pack, Ghostbusters came out way later than just three months and was also a completely different approach.

World's Fair released about one year after the first major DLC and was arguably undercooked and mostly a compilation of unrealized concepts and leftover assets that were never fully fleshed out. It is also highly suspicious that the pack was lacking in flatrides and the later released Flying Island was themed after the only significant building set in World's Fair, but I degrees. My point is that it seems obvious they roadmapped one year of DLC packs and they already had to rush to meet the deadline for last one. After its lukewarm reception there was a quite a bit of silence (more than three months) until GhostBusters and the second ride pack happened.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
It's that time again that people start to wonder about if we get another paid DLC for Planet Coaster. So far, Frontier has never disappointed us and has continued to nurture and enhance the game with new DLC for Planet Coaster since the game was released in November 2016.

Personally, I have no worries that "active development is over". Besides, David Braben, CEO of Frontier, said something that reassures me that we can look forward to new enhancements for Planet Coaster in the future:

04 September 2019, David Braben, CEO of Frontier Developments
"I am delighted to report a record level of financial performance, which reflects the skill and hard work of our talented team and the support
of our players around the world. We continue to nurture and enhance all three of our existing titles (Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and
Jurassic World Evolution), and I look forward to the release of our fourth highly anticipated game, Planet Zoo, later this year."

Source: https://www.frontier.co.uk/investors/latest-news-rns | https://otp.tools.investis.com/clie...regulatory-story.aspx?cid=1725&newsid=1326478

I am looking forward to what the future holds for Planet Coaster :D

Last edited:
Funny that people still hold on to that "one themed DLC per 3 months" paradigm. Frontier already deviated from the pattern when they released a ride pack a month after World's Fair and the next themed pack, Ghostbusters came out way later than just three months and was also a completely different approach.

World's Fair released about one year after the first major DLC and was arguably undercooked and mostly a compilation of unrealized concepts and leftover assets that were never fully fleshed out. It is also highly suspicious that the pack was lacking in flatrides and the later released Flying Island was themed after the only significant building set in World's Fair, but I degrees. My point is that it seems obvious they roadmapped one year of DLC packs and they already had to rush to meet the deadline for last one. After its lukewarm reception there was a quite a bit of silence (more than three months) until GhostBusters and the second ride pack happened.
I think you need to do a little research on the patterns of how the DLC has been releasing. The first ride pack came out 2 months after the World's Fair, so a little shorter than usual, yes. This is probably because they wanted to get 1 last pack out the door before the Dev team went on Christmas break.

The second ride pack was next to release, and that took just under 4 months to come out. My guess is that this one took a little longer to release due to the Devs missing out on 2 weeks of development time due to Christmas breaks. And Ghostbusters took 1 month and a half to release which is surprising considering how much content it included.

I'm sure the next pack will be announced soon. They still seem to be performing well for the company.

Pfff. The next one might even not arrive before 2020. It's their decision to make.
I can see why we won't get anything ATM, but I'm confident there is something brewing.

People need to be patient. It will come when it comes, or not....

It's that time again that people start to wonder about if we get another paid DLC for Planet Coaster. So far, Frontier has never disappointed us and has continued to nurture and enhance the game with new DLC for Planet Coaster since the game was released in November 2016.

Personally, I have no worries that "active development is over". Besides, David Braben, CEO of Frontier, said something that reassures me that we can look forward to new enhancements for Planet Coaster in the future:

04 September 2019, David Braben, CEO of Frontier Developments
"I am delighted to report a record level of financial performance, which reflects the skill and hard work of our talented team and the support
of our players around the world. We continue to nurture and enhance all three of our existing titles (Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and
Jurassic World Evolution), and I look forward to the release of our fourth highly anticipated game, Planet Zoo, later this year."

Source: https://www.frontier.co.uk/investors/latest-news-rns | https://otp.tools.investis.com/clie...regulatory-story.aspx?cid=1725&newsid=1326478

I am looking forward to what the future holds for Planet Coaster :D
Well this is welcome news. I can't wait to see what Frontier has in store for Planet Coaster.

I've learned not to have expectations for a game. And that's with any game. It's cool if a great dlc, other features, or fix is revealed, but if it doesn't. O Well. Back to the real world.
Even if I buy a game, I did not hire the company to boss around. Sure if things get really bad, I'll think twice before buying from that company again.

My theory is (but careful, probably just my scatty pre-first-coffee-optimism) that they're working on a great unification, something like a mega-link, between Elite Dangerous, Planet Zoo and Planet Coaster. Quote me on that at the end of 2020... (bookmark this post!)
There are many signs pointing into this direction, last not least the new forum format which only makes sense under the conditions of this 'conspiracy theory'.

They have absolutely no plans to link Planco and Planzoo together. They’ve stated this many many times. They are separate games. Elite dangerous isn’t even the same type of game...

Personally, I have no worries that "active development is over"
Say this to an Elite Dangerous Player and you will be killed.

I love Planet Coaster and I feel left in the lurch by Frontier about PlanCo at the moment.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Say this to an Elite Dangerous Player and you will be killed.

I love Planet Coaster and I feel left in the lurch by Frontier about PlanCo at the moment.
Perhaps I'm just a fan of always looking at things from the bright side of life... :) I have the word positivity as the first word in my signature for a reason.

I still believe that we haven't reached the end of the track with Planet Coaster.

Top Bottom