My view on the bardyard DLC

Good and nuanced post. I personally like the idea of a pack with domestics (and I'm a man as if that even matters), and think it's much better than getting seven domestics spread out over different packs as some suggested. Why? Because I like a pack to make sense. I want a SEA pack to build my Indonesian section, and a domestic pack to build my petting zoo. I much prefer this over the packs we've gotten that have a mixture of animals that wouldn't fit in one section. Also, now there's the freedom of not buying if you don't care about petting zoos, rather then be spoonfed domestics in packs you spend money on.

That said, I think some weird choices were made. The focus on British animals is fine, although it caters to a small minority of players. Yet, I can understand the company wanting to get something of their own culture in. I think the amount of ungulates is extreme, and I would have replaced one (preferably the donkey) with another bird or a rabbit. I also would've preferred other subspecies of the goat and pig. But at the same time, I don't really mind, as it allows for more or less the same creative freedom in creating a nice new zoo section. I can't nitpick when it comes to that.

I do fully agree with most players that this is not a great (let's actually say an abysmal) pack to close support with. In fact, I think this would've been a perfect end-of-year pack (it's novel and many younger players would've loved it for Christmas), and it would work excellently as a penultimate pack: adding something refreshing before releasing some high-demand species. Hence, my final opinion on the pack stands or falls with the future of the game.

The end? Next pack will future Unicorn, Yeti, Mermaids and Dinosaurs.
Finally, some representation!

Wasn’t expecting euphoria from liking a PZ pack lmfao. I think it’s best we keep gender norms and casual misogyny away from these forums though (or even better, in general).
Do not bother, I tried to call out that sexist remark and got a warning for "flaming" and deleted comments, while that "lovely" comment stays intact. Funny eh?

But to not get myself banned I will stay on topic.
That said, I think some weird choices were made. The focus on British animals is fine, although it caters to a small minority of players. Yet, I can understand the company wanting to get something of their own culture in. I think the amount of ungulates is extreme, and I would have replaced one (preferably the donkey) with another bird or a rabbit. I also would've preferred other subspecies of the goat and pig. But at the same time, I don't really mind, as it allows for more or less the same creative freedom in creating a nice new zoo section. I can't nitpick when it comes to that.
Agree with this. I do not mind the concept of a domestic pack, but would perhaps choose different breeds, specially the goat (would of course choose an African Dwarf Goat) and Donkey (would choose Miniature Donkey to further distinguish it from the Wild Ass). The pig somewhat does not offend me, it looks similar to Large White Pig, which is the breed I imagine when someone say domestic pig.

After a long wait for this pack, I thought we'd get a roster that at least had a few top wishlist animals and lots of great picks for the entire community. A 5 month long wait brought zero wishlist animals for me personally, and nothing with the potential to create interesting mods or habitats. Worse still, the animals are the domestic clones of wild species we already have (I've seen plenty of excited comments of people looking forward to the "llama").

Donkey = exact clone of Somali wild ass
Pig = Wild boar, Warthog, Babirusa, Red River Hog, Peccary
Alpaca = Llama
Sheep = Dall sheep with a brown face
Goat = Ibex without horns
Chicken = The only sort of new animal, but why not choose the jungle fowl that could work as both a wild or domestic species?
Cow = water buffalo, african buffalo, and again - why not choose a Zebu that could tell a story of human conflict and resolution with wildlife in areas of India and Africa?
No exhibit animal, when there could have been a WTE budgie or lorikeet at least.
Regarding the clones, I have a theory that I’ve made known on the forum that’s worth discussing here: I believe that the developers might’ve been investing less into this pack's animals and more into making animal interactions work in-game and creating the new facilities and scenery pieces.

Regarding the clones, I have a theory that I’ve made known on the forum that’s worth discussing here: I believe that the developers might’ve been investing less into this pack's animals and more into making animal interactions work in-game and creating the new facilities and scenery pieces.
If true, thats a way better way to spend resources as animation sets in new dlcs have grown rather stale while we tick off animals from the top of the metawishlist.

This would make sense. But this also impacts the animals themselves. You gotta figure that there are unique guest/animal interactions for the 7 species in the pack. Plus the three lemur species and I'd imagine the llama and capybara... At a minimum.

Reading about how alpine goats are unfriendly, what if we're getting comical animal attacks in-game?
It's not likely and a huge stretch, but I mean it would add some humor in the game, just like ZT and ZT2 had comical attacks on guests. We're already getting animal encounters, and they aren't specifying what types of encounters.

This is just an idea, but it popped into my mind

Most of the people I see being very happy about this pack are women/girls, so I guess those just love cute animals.
Ok first of all thats simply not true, anyone can like this pack and a lot of people of both genders do like this pack, doesn't matter what gender you are - good lord.

Now that we know this won't be the final pack I am even more excited than I was prior to the stream for this dlc. Petting Zoos are a great and needed part of any zoo and combining these new animals with some we already have, I'd say we are one big step closer to making the most realistic zoos possible. This pack basically proves that if they choose correctly, frontier can make a pack of all clones and it still be well recieved. All of these are clones, but they all are pretty necessary to build a petting zoo maybe except for the Alpaca since we already had the llama we could've got a more unique clone like a guinea pig or ferret. The breeds don't bother me too much, yes there are some odd breed picks but they aren't going to ruin the animal for me. Its ironic that most at first glance see this as something they'll skip or looks boring, but in the grand spectrum after some time I think this could be one of the best DLCs honestly.

Now that we know this won't be the final pack I am even more excited than I was prior to the stream for this dlc. Petting Zoos are a great and needed part of any zoo and combining these new animals with some we already have, I'd say we are one big step closer to making the most realistic zoos possible. This pack basically proves that if they choose correctly, frontier can make a pack of all clones and it still be well recieved. All of these are clones, but they all are pretty necessary to build a petting zoo maybe except for the Alpaca since we already had the llama we could've got a more unique clone like a guinea pig or ferret. The breeds don't bother me too much, yes there are some odd breed picks but they aren't going to ruin the animal for me. Its ironic that most at first glance see this as something they'll skip or looks boring, but in the grand spectrum after some time I think this could be one of the best DLCs honestly.
I agree. Actually, I think it's a shame that some may never try this pack, because these animaks might have some behaviors that others won't.

You know, initially I didn't care for domestic animals too much, with the llama being my least favorite back in the day.
But, I gotta admit that it's now one of my favorites in-game, I just feel like they have a lot of pizzazz, and I always felt like they were lonely; they couldn't properly fit in anywhere, not even with the other camelids. But with this pack, they won't feel so outta place anymore

Reading about how alpine goats are unfriendly, what if we're getting comical animal attacks in-game?
It's not likely and a huge stretch, but I mean it would add some humor in the game, just like ZT and ZT2 had comical attacks on guests. We're already getting animal encounters, and they aren't specifying what types of encounters.

This is just an idea, but it popped into my mind
I can imagine a goat or sheep trotting up behind a guest and ramming them right in the butt!

A little late to this, but I completely agree with your opinion. This was the most disappointing pack in my opinion, but I was relieved when they announced that another pack would be coming later this year. Hopefully, the next pack is a good one that includes at least one monkey and one bird species.

Top Bottom