Need a bit of help

Hey guys i have a bit of a conundrum. I have figured out something i can do to make ed run BUTTERY SMOOTH but i cannot get it to stay. You can see in the picture below that i can get the game to be set to high prio, i also set discord to low prio and when i did that ed just.....GAWD its so smooth in vr. HOWEVER i cannot for the life of me get it to stay like that, anyone know how to force it to stay high prio for ED and low prio for discord?

13e7db4281733142c03a9f91058b7869.png

this should work...

Create a new shortcut or edit an existing shortcut then paste the following string in the target box:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" /AboveNormal "C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe"

Click on "Change Icon..." then navigate to "C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe" to change the shortcut icon.

View attachment 297007

Taken from https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89548-set-cpu-process-priority-applications-windows-10-a.html
Nice read, I’m just concerned that it won’t actually do what I’m looking for. I run vr in elite through steam. I am concerned that if i try to run the shortcut, then it'll open steam without being in vr, thus defeating the whole reason of changing the prio for elite to high

Nice read, I’m just concerned that it won’t actually do what I’m looking for. I run vr in elite through steam. I am concerned that if i try to run the shortcut, then it'll open steam without being in vr, thus defeating the whole reason of changing the prio for elite to high
Agreed, it most probable would not run in VR, so i guess the only option left is to change in the task manager per session...

Agreed, it most probable would not run in VR, so i guess the only option left is to change in the task manager per session...
yeah dude i literally cant. it keeps reverting back to normal even during gameplay. it REFUSES to stay at high prio, ive tried running as admin. ive tried the cmd prompt, i even got desperate enough to try third party sketchy programs and NOTHING worked to get this game to stay at high prio. its def a windows thing no matter what i do. maybe theres a reg edit or something i can do? idk

i literally just did a reg edit to make this game go to high prio on the cpu, and it STILL WONT STAY. Frontier, help me out here. Your guys game engine is SO CPU HEAVY that if i DONT set the prio to high, i start to experience stutters in vr, frame rate drops in vr, etc. You guys wont change your game engine to suit the newer processors better by better utilizing the multiple cores offered. we know this game is a single threaded game, without the cpu being set to high prio, other programs will take up the resources that could be used by elite. how on earth do i set the cpu prio to high permanently for elite? Nothing I've done so far has worked so now im stuck.

Last edited:
yeah dude i literally cant. it keeps reverting back to normal even during gameplay. it REFUSES to stay at high prio, ive tried running as admin. ive tried the cmd prompt, i even got desperate enough to try third party sketchy programs and NOTHING worked to get this game to stay at high prio. its def a windows thing no matter what i do. maybe theres a reg edit or something i can do? idk

i literally just did a reg edit to make this game go to high prio on the cpu, and it STILL WONT STAY. Frontier, help me out here. Your guys game engine is SO CPU HEAVY that if i DONT set the prio to high, i start to experience stutters in vr, frame rate drops in vr, etc. You guys wont change your game engine to suit the newer processors better by better utilizing the multiple cores offered. we know this game is a single threaded game, without the cpu being set to high prio, other programs will take up the resources that could be used by elite. how on earth do i set the cpu prio to high permanently for elite? Nothing I've done so far has worked so now im stuck.
Next time I play I’ll see how my system behaves, but I use the oculus rift, and I don’t boot it via steam.

I tried it, and I have to say this (I have windows 11 Home):
  • It doesn't work [Edit: for ED]
  • Windows already assigns EliteDangerous64.exe on High Priority, but only while it's in foreground. When you alt tab to Task Manager to check, it reverts to normal. Back to the game it goes to High again :LOL:.
To check it, in the Task Manager Details Tab, right click on a column name and add the "Base priority" column. Start playing Elite. When you alt tab to Task Manager, for a second you'll see it's priority as High, and then it will get back to Normal.

I did the same experiment with EDLaunch.exe, and it stayed AboveNormal for the whole duration of the test, it seems that Windows treat games differently.

Bottom line, ED is as good as it gets :( for the time being.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\edlaunch.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\edlaunch.exe\PerfOptions]
"CpuPriorityClass"=dword:00000006
"IoPriority"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\EliteDangerous64.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\EliteDangerous64.exe\PerfOptions]

Edit 3: I'm playing NMS and I noticed that its priority is set at AboveNormal and stays like this even after alt-tabbing to task manager. So maybe ED is altering it's own priority, I don't know.

Last edited:
I tried it, and I have to say this (I have windows 11 Home):
  • It doesn't work [Edit: for ED]
  • Windows already assigns EliteDangerous64.exe on High Priority, but only while it's in foreground. When you alt tab to Task Manager to check, it reverts to normal. Back to the game it goes to High again :LOL:.
To check it, in the Task Manager Details Tab, right click on a column name and add the "Base priority" column. Start playing Elite. When you alt tab to Task Manager, for a second you'll see it's priority as High, and then it will get back to Normal.

I did the same experiment with EDLaunch.exe, and it stayed AboveNormal for the whole duration of the test, it seems that Windows treat games differently.

Bottom line, ED is as good as it gets :( for the time being.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\edlaunch.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\edlaunch.exe\PerfOptions]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\EliteDangerous64.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\EliteDangerous64.exe\PerfOptions]

Edit 3: I'm playing NMS and I noticed that its priority is set at AboveNormal and stays like this even after alt-tabbing to task manager. So maybe ED is altering it's own priority, I don't know.
sadge

Top Bottom