Imperial Cutter Need multicannon advice for Cutter

Kindly asking for advice about placement of multicannons-only and their engineering on Cutter (Duke at last, yay!).

Q:
From your battle experience in this space bus and its hard points placement, where should I put MC(s) with Corrosive shell? On Class 2 slot up, down or 1x up AND down?
Others would be incendiary.
Would you recommend turret MCs instead gimball? ... or something else?

Cutter's role: transport missions and hauling in general, maybe mining
Weapon purpose: to provide low-power, quick and effective defense after possible sucessful interdictions by ELITE NPC(s)
Weapon types: usual (no Guardian, no Powerplay)
Engineering: have access to G5 MC
Shield Generator: 6A, G5 Thermal Resistant/Stripped down (borrowed from Python, lol) hence the need to keep full pip here
Other: 7x various G5 engineered Shield Boosters + Power Distributor would be G5 Charge Enhanced+Cluster Capatitors

Thank you!

Here's my transport Cutter.. don't seen to have any problems on missions with NPC interdictions

Could have sworn OP was asking for 'Multicanon' Advice for the cutter, hang on let me read his post again. Hmmmmmm!

OP, if you are just transporting cargo and want to fight off interdiction's, and not wanting to go looking for combat, you could try out Turrets with Auto-Loading! Obviously this uses an insane amount of ammo, as the guns perma fire until target destroyed, so if you go into a HazRes with this you will run out quickly, but if you want to fight off a couple of NPC pirates, then this will get the job done with very little input from you.

Corrosive in one of the Engine Nacel points, and keep your target above you.

I only use three MCs on my 'transport' Cutter. All three on the underside: 1x huge, 2x medium. I think the huge is the corrosive (I had a load of extra incendiary mediums in storage). The other four hardpoints (on the topside) are gimballed lasers. I've yet to have any issue with NPC interdictions.

I use an overcharged corrosive huge MC and this has worked well for me. I've experimented with a few load outs, but it using corrosive seems to work best here thanks to the low rate of fire of the huge MC relative to the smaller ones.

As for any others, always overcharged unless you're somehow having heat issues. I'd do one with an emissive secondary and either incendiary or autoloader for the rest, depending on the rest of your load out.

Tnx all for advice.
Though, please mind "Weapon types: usual (no Guardian, no Powerplay)" :)

Atm at Grade 2 efficient/incendiary (6) and high capacity/corrosive (1 medium on upper side). Still needs testing tho'.

Huge multi-cannon with G5 overcharged and autoloader
Two medium multi-cannon on the underside of the ship. Both engineered with G5 high capacity, on with corrosive shell and the other incendiary rounds.

Usually put long range beam lasers on the other hardpoints.

Huge multi-cannon with G5 overcharged and autoloader
Two medium multi-cannon on the underside of the ship. Both engineered with G5 high capacity, on with corrosive shell and the other incendiary rounds.
Usually put long range beam lasers on the other hardpoints.
Gimballed?

I use all turret in mine. Cutter is just to slow to pitch for gimbal even with G5 dirties fully laden. I have one corrosive, the rest autoloader, overcharged mc. Two large I use turreted focus pulse with scramble and emissive. Bottom side I have huge overcharged autoloader mc gimballed. No heat or power issue. 720T fully laden and never any problem with any NPC. Can do 768T shieldless with hrp and still never any problem with npc, approx 85% hull after interdict and around 185k repair bill so can eat into profit if not trading something super valuable very fast. Can escape interdiction always if needed but at least the cutter will never lose if decide to stay and fight even shieldless.

Last edited:
1 huge over charged\auto (gimbal) , 2 medium gimbal underside: 1 hicap\corrosive, 1 over charged\auto.

turreted efficient\thermal vent beams for everything else. All g5'd.

it works really well. I slow down for NPC pirates and they learn why I have gotten that far with my big load.

1 huge over charged\auto (gimbal) , 2 medium gimbal underside: 1 hicap\corrosive, 1 over charged\auto.

turreted efficient\thermal vent beams for everything else. All g5'd.

it works really well. I slow down for NPC pirates and they learn why I have gotten that far with my big load.
Always overcharged, never hi cap
And always incendiary, corrosive and emissive. Autoloader is a complete waste.

Those shields are ummm, fascinating.

Try this instead, and before you say "but muh resistances" look at the my total thermal and kinetic MJ's compared to yours.
My Cutter was configured a couple of years ago and has served its purpose..
If I felt the need to upgrade the shields, I would probably do something like this..

Always overcharged, never hi cap
And always incendiary, corrosive and emissive. Autoloader is a complete waste.
in your opinion boss, not in mine.

Emissive doesn't do a darn thing in PvE, except increase your heat.
Incendiary turns your damage to thermal, which has it's pluses and minuses
Corrosive - absolutely excellent, but there can be only one.
Autoloader allows continuous fire, i.e. sustained dps.

I'm going to guess you are a pvper?

Last edited:
My Cutter used to run with a huge corrosive overcharged MC and rest Efficient Beam turrets.

My mining Cutter now sports only 2 beams and a SLF
My hauling Cutter has no weapons and no shields - i usually dont lose interdictions, but if it somehow happens - boost, boost, low wake...

Edit: PVE only (solo/pg) - i dont run naked cutters in open :D

in your opinion boss, not in mine.

Emissive doesn't do a darn thing in PvE, except increase your heat.
Incendiary turns your damage to thermal, which has it's pluses and minuses
Corrosive - absolutely excellent, but there can be only one.
Autoloader allows continuous fire, i.e. sustained dps.

I'm going to guess you are a pvper?
Of course I'm a pvper but I also do a lot of pve and have been building ships to perfect the craft for years and teach people how to build ships in multiple different discords. The only thing I'm not that good at is AX builds.

Emissive increases the gimbal arc, yes you only need corrosive on one and incendiary covers two resistances.
It's not just my opinion, it's the opinion of all the best pvpers and pve-ers.
Use what you wanna use, I'm just letting you know how to make your ship build the best it can be from my years of experience. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
My Cutter used to run with a huge corrosive overcharged MC and rest Efficient Beam turrets.

My mining Cutter now sports only 2 beams and a SLF
My hauling Cutter has no weapons and no shields - i usually dont lose interdictions, but if it somehow happens - boost, boost, low wake...

Edit: PVE only (solo/pg) - i dont run naked cutters in open :D
I'd do naked runs in open occasionally in my Cutter.... with clinched butt cheeks 😬

Last edited:
Top Bottom