Nerf Corrosive Shell

If your pairing the CS with another mod it will increase the dps as well. Unless fdev have a hidden +% stat that noone but you knows about the weapons maximum DPS doesn't increase.
People have extensively tested it; it provides two effects; it increases the armor-piercing of all weapons hitting the affected Target by 20, and it provides a 25% damage boost to all weapons hitting the target.

People have extensively tested it; it provides two effects; it increases the armor-piercing of all weapons hitting the affected Target by 20, and it provides a 25% damage boost to all weapons hitting the target.

The 25% are not only for weapons, but any damage. Rams or hitting stationary objects also have the 25% extra boost. I don't have an issue with the piercing buff, but the 25% extra blanket damage has to go.

Deleted member 192138

D
it took me from 100 total DPS to 180 total DPS, that means that the experimental effect had a net bonus on the equipped weapon of 1700%.
How did you maths?

100 becomes 180
80% more damage
new damage value is 180% of original

Where is 1700% figure from

How did you maths?

100 becomes 180
80% more damage
new damage value is 180% of original

Where is 1700% figure from

"On the equipped weapon."

The experimental effect is on just one weapon. In order to achieve the same damage bonus, it would have to boost that one weapon by 1700 percent. Which is, of course, ridiculous.

But no less ridiculous than one weapon boosting all my weapons and giving the same exact damage.

Deleted member 192138

D
So it's some sort of optional experimental that encourages you to consider how you'll use your weapons to synergise with one another. Huh.

Do you know how to reproduce these tests? This is the first time I've ever heard of this hidden buff.

So it's some sort of optional experimental that encourages you to consider how you'll use your weapons to synergise with one another. Huh.

No, it's a mandatory experimental that massively boosts your DPS to the point where you're prevented from using other options due to how good it is.

Not to mention being obscenely OP. Even without either of the two effects, the remaining effect would still be op, that's how op it is.

Do you know how to reproduce these tests? This is the first time I've ever heard of this hidden buff.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRb0_t041PU

Tests it pretty extensively, proving that it provides the 25% bonus. Cliff notes version; shoots FDL with a class 3 PA(100 piercing, so no possible buff from additional piercing), does 21% damage. Shoots it a few times with a class 1 MC to apply corrosive, FDL still at 100% health, shoots with the PA again, this time does 26% damage.

Result: Corrosive gives +25% damage.

Last edited:
Just so you know, while you may wish this to get nerfed, others want other things nerfed. Me, I think reverb cascade is the one that is overpowered. Always takes down all shields and destroys shield generators to boot? Way OP, IMHO. Some guys and gals want Phase Sequence gone, while others want it boosted. I think your best advice is to pick your poison, in this situation. PvP is way Jacked Up as it is. Turning over the applecart is just going to be a bigger mess. So, if you run on the assumption that you will only see this used against you in PvP, (unless you decide to drop in a USS with weapons fire and 5 or greater threat level, and if you do that, you deserve the challenges you get...) you just are not going to have to take this on the chin. It is a benefit, unless you just can't stomach having any advantage over NPC attackers. I mean, what are any of the engineering benefits really for?

;'{P~~~

Have you ever used a corrosive effect in a combat zone?

My CMDR has something like thirty thousand CZ kills, with probably 80% of that post-Engineers.

It has almost no effect.

It has a huge effect.

That's not to say that 75% of 2-4k hull integrity, on ship after ship, isn't still tedious. Ultimately, this is a problem with how NPCs are portrayed and how defenses have inflated, not an excuse to make a special mandatory.

IUnless fdev have a hidden +% stat that noone but you knows about the weapons maximum DPS doesn't increase.

There is a hidden 1.25x multiplier to all incoming hull damage on any vessel with corrosive in effect upon it, that a small but significant minority are acutely aware of.

"On the equipped weapon."

The experimental effect is on just one weapon. In order to achieve the same damage bonus, it would have to boost that one weapon by 1700 percent. Which is, of course, ridiculous.

But no less ridiculous than one weapon boosting all my weapons and giving the same exact damage.

Bad math dude. Really bad math. Not that your math matters one whit to me. I am just not buying it. Someone once said: "Go sell your crazy somewhere else. I am not buying." With your twisted math, you are just plain talking crazy. If you don't think the FDev people would check your math, you really are crazy...

;'{P~~~

;'{P~~~

Fighted CZs 11hrs yday, ship easy holds couple attackers by moving/rotating etc. Got once corrosive hit on me. Died prior I could do 2nd boost.
So not sure what's there, but I would use some resist against. Caustic resist is good candidate.

Me, I think reverb cascade is the one that is overpowered. Always takes down all shields and destroys shield generators to boot?

Knocking out shields is a side effect of damaging the shield gen and 'always' is a gross overstatement.

Reverberating cascade attacks are very difficult to land and requires one or more ships that have sacrificed a considerable portion of their firepower to carry enough munitions to reliably destroy the target's shield generator (each torpedo does ~40 integrity of damage to the generator module, with mines doing about half that, meaning a typical 'combat' shield generator requires three or four torpedoes to actually land and a setup specifically built to resist reverberating cascade can survive seven or eight without losing shields). Torpedoes take two seconds to arm and bleed off release momentum rapidly during those two seconds...you either land them in a window a second or two wide, or they are almost certain to miss. Mines have the same arming time, slow down to a stop even faster, and have a pathetic AoE. They are a high cost, low opportunity window, attack that occasionally has a big pay off.

Personally, I don't consider reverberating cascade overpowered in and of itself, but it may seem that way relative to the other effects available, especially on torpedoes, which are almost completely useless.

Regardless, reverberating cascade is neither here nor there in a thread about corrosive.

Knocking out shields is a side effect of damaging the shield gen and 'always' is a gross overstatement.

Reverberating cascade attacks are very difficult to land and requires one or more ships that have sacrificed a considerable portion of their firepower to carry enough munitions to reliably destroy the target's shield generator (each torpedo does ~40 integrity of damage to the generator module, with mines doing about half that, meaning a typical 'combat' shield generator requires three or four torpedoes to actually land and a setup specifically built to resist reverberating cascade can survive seven or eight without losing shields). Torpedoes take two seconds to arm and bleed off release momentum rapidly during those two seconds...you either land them in a window a second or two wide, or they are almost certain to miss. Mines have the same arming time, slow down to a stop even faster, and have a pathetic AoE. They are a high cost, low opportunity window, attack that occasionally has a big pay off.

Personally, I don't consider reverberating cascade overpowered in and of itself, but it may seem that way relative to the other effects available, especially on torpedoes, which are almost completely useless.

Regardless, reverberating cascade is neither here nor there in a thread about corrosive.

Matter of opinion and experience, I guess. On mines, you have a lot of ammo, can go double shot, and put a big spread in front of someone that is slower and less maneuverable than you. Granted, it takes practice to get the timing right, but once you have the technique nailed, it is almost impossible to overcome...

I don't generally use it. (and can only do so with certain smaller ships -- and my bigger ships are more profitable all around) I can get more effective kills per reload with other weapons against NPCs, and I really am not into the PvP game right now. Too much risk with too little payoff...

;'{P~~~

So not sure what's there, but I would use some resist against. Caustic resist is good candidate.

The problem with having caustic resistance counter the corrosive effect is that it would either be a nearly mandatory hard counter, or useless.

Matter of opinion and experience, I guess. On mines, you have a lot of ammo, can go double shot, and put a big spread in front of someone that is slower and less maneuverable than you. Granted, it takes practice to get the timing right, but once you have the technique nailed, it is almost impossible to overcome...

I don't generally use it. (and can only do so with certain smaller ships -- and my bigger ships are more profitable all around) I can get more effective kills per reload with other weapons against NPCs, and I really am not into the PvP game right now. Too much risk with too little payoff...

;'{P~~~

I had assumed PvP encounters when talking about reverberating cascade as rapidly overcoming enormous pools of shield strength on targets that would otherwise escape immediately, or be too tedious to grind down, has always been their niche. Against CMDRs who are paying attention, most torpedoes miss or detonate prematurely, while most mine attempts, with the current two second arming time, look like this:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izd0-pYF7tA

It's easy to hit NPCs with torpedoes and not terribly difficult to do so with mines, but I generally only use them against NPCs for novelty or testing purposes...they are horribly inefficient and not often any faster at securing kills than other weapons. Even for assassinations they have dubious utility.

Corrosive, on the other hand, is applicable to anything, PvE or PvP, that has a hull and has a much lower opportunity cost. It's also doing far more than what the description states...if it were limited to doing what most of us thought it was doing when we first chose it, there wouldn't be much to complain about.

+Support for nerfing corrosive experimental.

At least remove the global effects. It should only apply to the weapon it's on. It's basically a "mandatory" item for any combat ship as it is right now.

If your pairing the CS with another mod it will increase the dps as well. Unless fdev have a hidden +% stat that noone but you knows about the weapons maximum DPS doesn't increase.

Targets under the effect of Corrosive Shell take 25% more damage from all sources and all weapons striking them get +20 flat AP.

So at minimum the effect of corrosive is +25% damage to hull, much more than any other single experimental. On small weapons with low AP it is much much more than that.

Yet the corrosive buff do not stack , it does not work on shield , it have a short effect timer, have to hit.

I dont think you take all of these in consideration , it's like thermal vent , on paper it does not incrase your dps , but in real fighting situation it can makes you fire so much longer that it's a nice increase.

Also , corrosive are quite useless against shield tank.

If you want raw number on hit , railz with the anti SCB thing are the most powerfull weapon since they can negate about 500 shield in one hit ? (dont know the numbers tho :p )

This just show that elite weaponery is very situtational . Also i'm using corrosive shell quite alot , and it really dont feel like it's a 1700% increase =).

So if it's just +25% on only hull , considering the hulltank problem of stacking HRP + engi , is not that bad.

To me on of the real problem is defensive items are stronger than weapon when you engi them (because you can stackthem a bit to much) and this result in a way slower TTK on many ships.

Deleted member 192138

D
No, it's a mandatory experimental that massively boosts your DPS to the point where you're prevented from using other options due to how good it is.

Not to mention being obscenely OP. Even without either of the two effects, the remaining effect would still be op, that's how op it is.
Nothing is essential in PvE. All PAs will still be more effective than a setup using corrosive if you use them well. Guess what? Most NPCs melt to a fully engineered ship. They still will without corrosive. You're not required to run any specific fit. If you think something is too overpowered for your enjoyment of your PvE activity - don't use it. Ship build and weapon selection is part of how you can introduce difficulty late game.

Just look at AX pilots soloing interceptors in a Sidewinder. They don't sit there saying "Chieftain is mandatory, it's too good to not use". They say "what challenge do I want to set myself today?" That's how they get enjoyment. If you don't enjoy the damage buff of corrosive, you're not obliged to use it.

Top Bottom