New audio configuration for users with VR headsets or audio issues

Legacy_Donny

Frontier QA Team
Frontier
Hi Commanders,

We've recently been able to put in some additional options aimed at users who are keen on experimenting with the audio settings in ED as well as users of VR as these settings allow you to up the 'frame rate' for the audio to closer match the visual frame rates for VR.

If you've encountered audio-based issues (Such as: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=250081 ) or are just curious and want to experiment, all you need is some basic notepad skills and you'll find the below information extremely useful.

AudioConfiguration.xml is a new config file that you can find alongside the elitedangerous64.exe (or 32) files in your beta installation (PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64/32).

The file contains descriptions about the settings you can tweak and how the file itself works but the main thing to note is that the file is not activated by default. In order to activate the file you'll want to uncomment the <AudioConfig> block by removing the first instances of <-- and -->.

If you're familiar with editing AppConfig.xml files or other similar files you'll also know that any changes to this file will require a restart of Elite Dangerous in order to apply the new settings.

We're very curious as to the effects of changing these settings are on your individual experiences and systems, especially if you have found that you encountered previous audio-related issues such as stuttering in high-intensity fights or total loss of sound as some of you have experienced recently. Do note that if you select the extreme minimum numbers in your audio config file, you WILL see a lot of audio drop-outs (unless you have an absolute beast of a machine) so note that these aren't technically problems. Please let us know the results of your experimentation and if you can, include DxDiags to help us out too!

Thanks!

//Donny

So I tried the following:
RefillBuffers: 2
SamplesPerFrame: 512
Basically half of the default. I have a fairly beefy machine I7 6700k, 16G DDR4 3400, and 980Ti and it worked fine for the most part, until I got into a CZ, then it started stuttering like crazy. Since I was doing some missions to kill a bunch of these guys, I had to back out of these changes and go back to the default, at which point the stuttering disappeared. In fact I am going to try higher values to see if I can improve my frame rate in other situations (mainly Rez when I get really close to the target, I get huge frame drops).

Hi Commanders,...
We're very curious as to the effects of changing these settings are on your individual experiences and systems, especially if you have found that you encountered previous audio-related issues such as stuttering in high-intensity fights or total loss of sound as some of you have experienced recently....
//Donny
I wonder - with the release of XBOne version - do you have support for AMDs TrueAudio in the game for XBOne and/or PC? Most AMDs GPUs/APUs are said to have dedicated silicon for audio processing there benefitting especially 3d/VR audio rendering. With Polaris it got transferred to generic shader processing as TrueAudioNext based on QRQ AFAIK. I would expect less audio hiccups and performance issues when compared to processing 3d audio rendering on a 4 core CPU...

Last edited:
I've recently purchased a new gainward gtx 1080 Phoenix GLH and since then the audio on my rift is very stutters even when nothing is happening much on screen, seems ok when only using the monitor. Would I need to play about with this xml file to get it working?

Just perhaps the stuttering is due to dudes who use onboard Sound rather than a dedicated card as is the latest trend to trust it may be ample. But also that they are allowing unused drivers take up memory e.g. NVIDIA's High Definition (perhaps a monitor over HDMI but always have sound to zero due to having external speakers also) and their 3D Drivers we do not need for VR, plus any other generic sound drivers the OS picks up but does not use. Disable what you do not use and see...OR perhaps dedicated Soundcards still have a use.

Magic!
That has just cleared a small bug that has been annoying me since release. I set the volume of the in game music to zero and muted it. Each of the individual tracks were set to off and still I heard the music start then quickly cut off in a fraction of a second.
Setting the latency to 6 has cured it. I will try "5" tomorrow.
It was most obvious entering the station and I kept forgetting to report it.
One happy bunny at this end. :D

I wonder how do we "uncomment the XML code at the top of the file." exactly? Miss which <> arrows?

OK found it: "In order to activate the file you'll want to uncomment the block by removing the first instances of <-- and -->."

Last edited:
Never used this but all glitches/pops are gone. Great work!
BTW...

"I had been using Audio Switcher until it gave me severe stutters in ED. A Windows Update had re-enabled the Monitors Speakers which had 1 Driver but 5 instances of Profiles it created after re-installs of Nvidia and trying to remove their auto generated Nvidia Audio which always took over the one I had disabled. So after the Update it enabled them all thus taking up much needed bandwidth and it must have been a 32bit program as it actually re-installed Redist C++2015(x86) after I had deleted it to enable Oculus re-install which only adds the OS same bit (x64). Now this messed all it's switching icons to show correctly but at least Windows shouted "I seem to be having problems with these Sound Driver dude. Do you wish to disable the again as you did before mate?" - BLEEDING YES!!! Thus VR was saved and ED is now playing once again.

Now, I wanted another switcher but then found Win10 already has it right there on the Speaker Icon! You LEFT-CLICK and select from a drop menu above.

OMG - it was right there all along!"

Last edited:
This fixed my audio lag, which was most noticeable when in planetary glide. I set the buffer to 256 and 2 and the audio is tight now. Thanks!

Well Im sure its an OCULUS issue but they did an update to audio today and not only did it shut off all audio to my right side of my headset but made access to my library unavailable,.........When it rains it pours!!

The link in the opening post is broken...

Has anyone had success using bluetooth headset? I can get Windows to use my apple earpods, but ED doesn't when I am using Oculus/Steam.. defaults to the Oculus audio..

Well Im sure its an OCULUS issue but they did an update to audio today and not only did it shut off all audio to my right side of my headset but made access to my library unavailable,.........When it rains it pours!!

Uh, experiencing the same issues since some weeks (but still have library access), and it cannot be related to a recent update therefore. If it's a CV1, it seems more likely to be a hardware issues due to wear on the strap. AFAIK it's a known construction flaw. Ok, nearly 3k hours in space with the thing, it cannot last forever.

Will test the new audio config asap, ofc, didn't know about that file :)

O7,
🙃

Top Bottom