New Module Request - Advanced AFMU

I am aware FD doesn't want players out indefinitely.

[...]

It's entirely for the headcanon-fun of "I can fix anything on my ship that I need to".

[...]

Why is that so hard to grasp?

We got that. Don't worry. We really did. All we do is point out that FD stated that they do want to have at least one remaining mechanic to bring people back to a station at least once a while. (Which by now also actually can be avoided if you have enough slots. )

So as long as FD wants the PP to be the one last module which nudges a player to at least once every other year return to a station they won't consider this suggestion, despite a thread like this coming up every few weeks.

I don't see the need for an Infinite repair unit that repairs the Power plant for regular ships or exploration. Remember only the skilled players live. We have the reboot/Repair. We also have Nebulas stations for repairs and thank you Atol we also have Carriers when released which can do rearm and repairs players and what I have seen on the Frontier page You don't have to own a carrier to visit one. Fleet Carrier Details.

So do we need easy mode when the game going to get easier? NO. Let Frontier add content that makes the game better but not easier.
I’m pretty sure @Lestat and @Atol are the same person...

From a practical realistic point of view, yes the AFMU should definitely be a self contained, self reliant device that can operate fully independently of the ship. IRL it would be designed that way. But for game purposes I think they don't do this. (Of course IRL such a device would just not be capable of fixing certain types of damage to components, which also seams reasonable, short of swapping out major components requiring you to travel with a cargo bin full of spare parts too sophisticated for the AFMU to simply repair or synthesis).

I think the OP has a fantastic idea because it enables more types of gameplay in the future. Players could engage in more potentially dangerous activities far away from stations and as long as they survive they can repair. This could be used to introduce many more forms of gameplay into ED. And as the OP has said, repairing might not be easy. Not just a click of a button. Gathering and synthesizing materials might be required. Balancing repair time with life support, etc. Perhaps these are procedures for more advanced players.

Edit: Traveling with a cargo bin of "standard spare parts for ship XXX" would also be an interesting trade-off when equipping your ship. Small, Medium, or Large cargo bin depending on size of ship. Do you take the extra cargo bin and weight? Or risk being stranded? Probably too late to introduce this concept, the magical AFMU has already been provided as-is.

Last edited:
So as long as FD wants the PP to be the one last module which nudges a player to at least once every other year return to a station they won't consider this suggestion, despite a thread like this coming up every few weeks.

Frontier have said they don't want people out indefinitely, but I don't believe they've said it has to be because of unrepairable powerplants. That's just how it is right now.

Unrepairable powerplants aren't the only possible way this could ever be accomplished.

Lestat

Banned
Frontier have said they don't want people out indefinitely, but I don't believe they've said it has to be because of unrepairable powerplants. That's just how it is right now.

Unrepairable powerplants aren't the only possible way this could ever be accomplished.
Question what would bring players back if everything can be repaired? If frontier went with your idea?

Question what would bring players back if everything can be repaired? If frontier went with your idea?

Just off the top of my head, you could make the new AFMU syth re-fill require manufacturered materials.

You could make it require purchasable cargo.

You could have the ship's nav-computer have a maximum amount of storage space for discovery data.

I'm sure there's better ideas too, because that's literally just a couple minutes off the top of my head, waiting for my kettle to boil.

I find the AMFU way overpowered as it was. I would prefer a nerf to the AMFU.

I'd actually be perfectly ok with that as well, but I think it would tick off even more people. There's a lot of ways you could achieve the same sort of fun by nerfing the AMFU.

It's just not as much fun when there's this arbitrary line on what it can do; a line that doesn't really make in-universe sense.

Make the AFMU run exclusively on limpets, and have a mass of 128 tons in at least a class 7 rack? Equally valid solution, imo.

Lestat

Banned
I find the AMFU way overpowered as it was. I would prefer a nerf to the AMFU.
OH I agree maybe like Shield has one per ship. One thing I did read on Exploration forums. Is a lot of players are not taking AMFU because Exploration is so damn easy and no risk.

Does anyone else think AFMU is not "required" for Exploration???
Just off the top of my head, you could make the new AFMU syth re-fill require manufacturered materials.

You could have the ship's nav-computer have a maximum amount of storage space for discovery data.

I'm sure there's better ideas too, because that's literally just a couple minutes off the top of my head, waiting for my kettle to boil.
A idea for you. Make a topic called maximum amount of storage space for discovery data. See how many people say no.[/QUOTE]

Lestat said:
A idea for you. Make a topic called maximum amount of storage space for discovery data. See how many people say no.

Um, no? Because I don't think that's a good way to do it, and I don't want that done.

Dude, you really need to realize that people write what they mean. You keeping reading implications that aren't there, and you just end up responding to your own imagination.

So, an AMFU that can repair your deactivated power plant running on its own power?
If your power plant (a shipboard fission reactor*) is that badly damaged, surely you should have been blasted into oblivion anyway?
I'm no expert, but if a fission reactor* is too badly damaged to function, then it seems to me that it should probably have blown up or something.
Also, the AMFU restores some amounts of module integrity, it probably can't fix a nuclear reactor.

* I am making assumptions here about the kind of reactor. In outfitting, the power plant module is subtitled "reactor bay" so I assumed that it would be a fision reactor, given that fusion is probably still beyond our abilities.

Source: https://youtu.be/8vxEimC3HME

OH I agree maybe like Shield has one per ship. One thing I did read on Exploration forums. Is a lot of players are not taking AMFU because Exploration is so damn easy and no risk.

I agree there, I've never considered the AFMU "required" for any activity, and never really "needed" one while exploring.

That's kind of my point why I think "no, it would make the game too easy" is a silly response. The game is easy enough that the current AFMU doesn't make anything easier. Of course this change wouldn't make it easier when it's already so easy not to die.

Lestat

Banned
I agree there, I've never considered the AFMU "required" for any activity, and never really "needed" one while exploring.

That's kind of my point why I think "no, it would make the game too easy" is a silly response. The game is easy enough that the current AFMU doesn't make anything easier. Of course this change wouldn't make it easier when it's already so easy not to die.
So why add something to make it even easier? It pointless and waste game resources.

If, as you claim, it's not an issue you've faced, what's the point of it? You're basically arguing it serves no purpose. At the same time, you're arguing that the AFMU synthesis should be changed to accommodate the change you want, because what you want changes a stated outcome that is desired by the developer. Not to mention, the countless issues that would come from just up and changing AFMU synthesis, or deciding to limit exploration data.

If it doesn't really solve a problem and requires big changes in other areas to avoid directly creating new problems, it's not really a good idea.

So why add something to make it even easier? It pointless and waste game resources.

Would it make the game easier for you? Specifically, how so?

Because, as I've said countless times, I don't think it would make it any easier. It definitely wouldn't make anything easier for me, because this game is already easy.

It'd be more fun to know that I theoretically can fix my powerplant, if I can fix everything else. That's all. It literally wouldn't make anything easier for me.

If, as you claim, it's not an issue you've faced, what's the point of it? You're basically arguing it serves no purpose.

How many times do I need to say "this wouldn't make anything easier, it would just be more fun" before you realize that that's what I mean?

Lestat

Banned
Would it make the game easier for you? Specifically, how so?

Because, as I've said countless times, I don't think it would make it any easier. It definitely wouldn't make anything easier for me, because this game is already easy.

It'd be more fun to know that I theoretically can fix my powerplant, if I can fix everything else. That's all. It literally wouldn't make anything easier for me.
Let ask it this way. With so many things that will be added soon. Why waste Frontier Resources on something that is not needed.

How many times do I need to say "this wouldn't make anything easier, it would just be more fun" before you realize that that's what I mean?
How would it make the game more fun if it eliminates more risk. People did not pay for Elite Easy, But they did paid for Elite Dangerous.

Let ask it this way. With so many things that will be added soon. Why waste Frontier Resources on something that is not needed.

How would it make the game more fun if it eliminates more risk. People did not pay for Elite Easy, But they did paid for Elite Dangerous.

Again, if you think this game would make the game easier for you, please share how it would make it easier for you.

Stop hiding behind imaginary people.

How would it make the game easier for you?

Lestat

Banned
Again, if you think this game would make the game easier for you, please share how it would make it easier for you.

Stop hiding behind imaginary people.

How would it make the game easier for you?
See there a difference between skilled and unskilled. Your idea caters to unskilled players. Now the question for you do you want people to leave the game because of the game too easy. If so. Then keep floating your idea.

Well, aside from just brutally ripping a single sentence out of the total of my response, you haven't really explained how it's "more fun". You can't just say that and behold, it is thus.

You keep slapping "more fun" around as a response but it's just empty words that don't mean anything. You are literally claiming that the ability to AFMU your power plant is "fun"... while somehow removing risk, tension, and consequence.

Top Bottom