New Module Request - Advanced AFMU

See there a difference between skilled and unskilled. Your idea caters to unskilled players. Now the question for you do you want people to leave the game because of the game too easy. If so. Then keep floating your idea.

No, that's just a dodge. Your powerplant not exploding when exploring isn't a "skill". Everyone does that.

You're imagining that it's fate you avoid, because you're so good a pilot, but no. That's just baseline. We all do that.

OH I agree maybe like Shield has one per ship. One thing I did read on Exploration forums. Is a lot of players are not taking AMFU because Exploration is so damn easy and no risk.
I've never taken and AMFU when exploring. Never needed one.

What I would do is have the AMFU and hull limpets as bandaids. They degrade over time. You would need to keep using and refilling it via synthesis to keep your ship in good repair or you repair it at a station.

And if/when space legs comes out you can do more permanent hull repairs via EVA and modules repairs by synthesising spare parts.

Well, aside from just brutally ripping a single sentence out of the total of my response, you haven't really explained how it's "more fun". You can't just say that and behold, it is thus.

You keep slapping "more fun" around as a response but it's just empty words that don't mean anything. You are literally claiming that the ability to AFMU your power plant is "fun"... while somehow removing risk, tension, and consequence.

Have you ever encountered risk, tension, or consequence because of your powerplant degrading while exploring? I never have.

Lestat

Banned

What I would do is have the AMFU and hull limpets as bandaids. They degrade over time. You would need to keep using and refilling it via synthesis to keep your ship in good repair or you repair it at a station.

And if/when space legs comes out you can do more permanent hull repairs via EVA and modules repairs by synthesising spare parts.
Now this is an idea I can get behind. I can see walking around a ship repairing stuff.
Have you ever encountered risk, tension, or consequence because of your powerplant degrading while exploring? I never have.
I think it you that dealing with risk, tension and consequence and it why you want this idea so bad.

Whenever it comes, it would be great to have this.
OP though just does not sound or seem to add any fun at all despite saying so.

So you've never had any feelings about your power plant's state while exploring before, but repairing it will be fun? Also a degraded Power Plant is objectively a consequence, because the game enforces consequential conditions as a result. That's not something you can just pretend doesn't exist because you haven't experienced it.

You have yet to explain how AFMU on a Power Plant = "More Fun". You've leaned on that as your whole response for so much of this thread and you've completely failed to substantiate it. Explain how it is "more fun".

That's an awesome idea, and I would also be fully on-board with it.

So you've never had any feelings about your power plant's state while exploring before, but repairing it will be fun? Also a degraded Power Plant is objectively a consequence, because the game enforces consequential conditions as a result. That's not something you can just pretend doesn't exist because you haven't experienced it.

You have yet to explain how AFMU on a Power Plant = "More Fun". You've leaned on that as your whole response for so much of this thread and you've completely failed to substantiate it. Explain how it is "more fun".

No. I'm not going to bother to explain how it's more fun for me, when I have already explained that in the OP, when you and others are just going to keep accusing me of secret motives anyway. Literally no point in me doing that, because you've proven you wouldn't accept I was being honest.

A degraded powerplant can be a consequence elsewhere, yes. Show me where it's been a consequence, in this same context. Because it's not, in this context.

AFMU has always been kind of lame because it's a "fix my problems" device. Same goes for hull repair limpets. It's so incredibly abstract it takes away from the idea that these are real spaceships with different kinds of unique moving parts which do specific things and are made in a specific way, and it replaces it with, basically, RPG stats. I dislike it for the same reason I wasn't a fan of "3D Printed" space ships as a handwave for insta-transfer and SLFs.

The Power Plant, and previously the canopy, for me, represented some of the last vestiges of the "old" sensibility which informed ED's design when it first launched. It spoke to the idea of these ships being BUILT objects, complex pieces of interconnected technology, with different components functioning in different ways and having unique purposes and limitations. The Power Plant is supposed to be some kind of reactor; I THINK that's supposed to be the reason why your ship frikken explodes when it goes down to 0% - by that logic it seems natural to me that powering it OFF would have a similar result.

So, no, I don't like the idea of AFMU-ing the Power Plant, but I also recognize that most of the people still playing this game Just Don't Care about the worldbuilding aspect or verisimilitude of the game. And increasingly it's becoming obvious that the devs don't take this aspect seriously either, that in the end this is at it's core a stats-based RPG kind of game with some action-ey and simulation-y elements leftover from its earlier years when the design direction was a bit different. I don't like it, but I accept it. My guess is that if OP is patient and persistent enough, that eventually Frontier will grant his wish. We've got re-buyable crew now. We've got synthesizeable limpets. We've got telepresence and bonus energy pips to go with it. We've got perma-boost and 15 minute shield tanking. In the greater context of the game, what OP is asking for isn't unreasonable at all. But for me, it does represent further confirmation that the game I once found so fascinating is gone.

No. I'm not going to bother to explain how it's more fun for me, when I have already explained that in the OP, when you and others are just going to keep accusing me of secret motives anyway. Literally no point in me doing that, because you've proven you wouldn't accept I was being honest.
You just saying it's fun doesn't make it fun. And you contradict yourself by insisting that you've never had to never had to worry about a degraded Power Plant. Is your argument "This thing, which I have never experienced, would be more fun with this change that I will never use."

But, you have mercilessly flogged the argument that it's "more fun" and thus has merit, but you have refused to substantiate that claim with anything else. It's your sole argument. You've worked very hard to avoid defining what makes it fun, to avoid having that addressed; can't be disagreed with if you avoid saying what it actually is!

So, let's take a look, since you claimed to explain it in the OP, the only mention of "fun":
A power draw increase to accomplish this is fine, because I can deal with increased power draw on basically any ship: I like power management, that's just more fun.
So power management is fun. The fact that the module might take up more power... that's fun. That's the cornerstone of your argument.

Well, congratulations! Power Management is required if a Power Plant degrades! So it sounds like you're actively working against what you are claiming is "fun".

I would be remiss to ignore this, of course:
A degraded powerplant can be a consequence elsewhere, yes. Show me where it's been a consequence, in this same context. Because it's not, in this context.
In what context? Being vague seems to be a repeat issue, perhaps if you wanted productive discussion you would be more concise and informative, instead of making others guess at your meaning.

Let's assume you were referencing exploration, as it was the last "context" in the discussion. Which means that you're saying a degraded power plant is not a consequence while exploring. Which, wow. Okay. Here are some examples, provided by a cursory google search. While it's fairly common sense, I thought I would provide examples disproving you, but a degraded Power Plant is a pretty Exploration-centric issue.

To sum it up, you think this module would be fun because it would take up more power, and that power plant degradation is not an issue for explorers, and you think power management is fun so you want to never have to manage power due to a damaged power plant.

From the original post, perhaps I misinterpreted but I thought the suggested idea was the AFMU would be more involved than just pressing a button so AFMU magically fixes physical hardware somehow. Making it more of a process to fix your ship. Not making things easier, rather adding game play to fixing your ship. And I like this idea.

Read from original post...

And I can deal with it repairing less overall, because no matter how long it ends up taking me, I can re-stock it by synthesizing AFMU mats so that no matter what, as long as I can keep my ship alive, I can always keep my ship running smooth - thanks AFMU's!

The "repair procees" might just sometimes involve running around in my SRV, scouring planets for rare materials.

Rather than the current method where somehow software & electronics fixes physical issues with your ship I thought it was suggesting more player involvement. The current AFMU reminds me of Star Trek Next Generation where almost all damage is fixed by re-routing power and reconfiguring the systems. Very rare that they actually have to crawl through the "Jeffries Tubes" to swap out some module that "overloaded". Never having to repair actual physical damage to the ship.

From the original post, perhaps I misinterpreted but I thought the suggested idea was the AFMU would be more involved than just pressing a button so AFMU magically fixes physical hardware somehow. Making it more of a process to fix your ship. Not making things easier, rather adding game play to fixing your ship.

That wasn't specifically what I meant here, but I love the idea!

From the original post, perhaps I misinterpreted but I thought the suggested idea was the AFMU would be more involved than just pressing a button so AFMU magically fixes physical hardware somehow. Making it more of a process to fix your ship. Not making things easier, rather adding game play to fixing your ship. And I like this idea.

Read from original post...

Rather than the current method where somehow software & electronics fixes physical issues with your ship I thought it was suggesting more player involvement. The current AFMU reminds me of Star Trek Next Generation where almost all damage is fixed by re-routing power and reconfiguring the systems. Very rare that they actually have to crawl through the "Jeffries Tubes" to swap out some module that "overloaded". Never having to repair actual physical damage to the ship.
No, you accidentally came up with a much better idea than the one this thread was predicated on.

But like how Star Trek was restrained by the budget, this game is restrained by the concept of what would be meaningful to add. The AFMU isn't used so heavily that it's a high-priority module. And while a minigame would be interesting for some, the amount of negative feedback that came from the FSS would probably dissuade attaching another similar mechanic to an exploration-centric idea.

AFMU has always been kind of lame because it's a "fix my problems" device. Same goes for hull repair limpets. It's so incredibly abstract it takes away from the idea that these are real spaceships with different kinds of unique moving parts which do specific things and are made in a specific way, and it replaces it with, basically, RPG stats. I dislike it for the same reason I wasn't a fan of "3D Printed" space ships as a handwave for insta-transfer and SLFs.

The Power Plant, and previously the canopy, for me, represented some of the last vestiges of the "old" sensibility which informed ED's design when it first launched. It spoke to the idea of these ships being BUILT objects, complex pieces of interconnected technology, with different components functioning in different ways and having unique purposes and limitations. The Power Plant is supposed to be some kind of reactor; I THINK that's supposed to be the reason why your ship frikken explodes when it goes down to 0% - by that logic it seems natural to me that powering it OFF would have a similar result.

So, no, I don't like the idea of AFMU-ing the Power Plant, but I also recognize that most of the people still playing this game Just Don't Care about the worldbuilding aspect or verisimilitude of the game. And increasingly it's becoming obvious that the devs don't take this aspect seriously either, that in the end this is at it's core a stats-based RPG kind of game with some action-ey and simulation-y elements leftover from its earlier years when the design direction was a bit different. I don't like it, but I accept it. My guess is that if OP is patient and persistent enough, that eventually Frontier will grant his wish. We've got re-buyable crew now. We've got synthesizeable limpets. We've got telepresence and bonus energy pips to go with it. We've got perma-boost and 15 minute shield tanking. In the greater context of the game, what OP is asking for isn't unreasonable at all. But for me, it does represent further confirmation that the game I once found so fascinating is gone.

I actually do agree, mostly. The game just needs to go one way or the other, I dislike how much it's trying to fence-sit. Frontier should pick an internal narrative and stick with it.

If the narrative we're running with is "there's an AFMU, that can repair modules anywhere", then they should do that, and let us repair it all, because batteries exist.

If they go with "repairs are a lot harder, take specialized places and parts, and you can't do it yourself", awesome! I'm gonna be happier.

I'm the person who makes suggestions for server-enforced ironman modes, was against healing lasers, and thought repair limpets should also consume mined-only resources. I liked your SLF pilots dying, and argued that makes for better gameplay.

If repairing is harder, that's better for me. I think that's more fun.

But that's also not the game we have, or the game Frontier seems to want to make. So I would like the game to be consistent with it's own established logic, that's all.

If AFMU's exist as they do, it doesn't make anything "easier" to have ones that fix powerplants. It's entirely justifiable in lore, and it makes sense that one would exist. It won't affect gameplay, because realistically all it would affect is if someone's powerplant is at 98% or 100%. Irrelevant, gameplay-wise. Nice, lore-wise.

If Frontier want it harder, by all means, remove AFMU's. Or give them mass and make them only work on someone else's ship. Or tie them in to a really hard minigame. All of those could be cool.

I want the game to be consistent with the lore. I am totally flexible to what the lore is, as long as it's true to itself. I dislike arbitrary mechanics.

Someone submitted this idea where you would have to put down somewhere, or stop, dead stop, in space and switch the PD into "Battery Mode". Which I thought was a good idea, this would allow you to take the powerplant offline to make repairs to it. the PD would only have X amount of power , kind of like the life support timer, so you'd have X amount of time to get your repairs in before you are dead out of power. And of course the imposed restriction was that the battery could only power life support and AFMUs

The reason why the OP is asking for powerplants to be added to the repairables list is because it's like the last module that isn't repairable, and thus explorers are unable to be self sufficient. However the flip to this is that IF space legs is going to be a thing, then yeah it would be great to get out of our chairs and be able to repair everything, emulating Mr Scott and the Enterprise. If that becomes a thing, then I could support re-balancing the AFMU to repair certain modules or even remove it from the game completely.

However if Space Legs doesn't become a thing, then yeah, explorers should have some way to be able to repair everything on their ship through some game mechanic or another.

I don't mind any mechanics that can allow for CMDRs to repair in deep space, however, I'd like the chance of damage to increase drastically.

Currently face planting a star and gravity are your only threats. Lol

It'd be more fun to know that I theoretically can fix my powerplant, if I can fix everything else. That's all. It literally wouldn't make anything easier for me.
Theoretically?
Power Plant = Nuclear Reactor
AMFU = Equivalent of R2-D2

I'm not an expert in nuclear physics or engineering, but I'm pretty sure that R2-D2 would not be able to fix a nuclear reactor.
You're thinking in terms of what you want, not what is feasible.

And also, why would it be more fun to restore integrity to a power plant? I just don't think that would be very fun.

Top Bottom