Game Discussions New PC for Elite Dangerous but Mainly for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Just ordered a New PC with a Ryzen 3600X CPU on a x540 M/B AM4, 1Tb Samsung EVO Plus PCIe M.2, 32Gb of Corsair 3200 Ram and an RTX 2070 GPU. Now I know this kind of build will not effect the way Elite Dangerous runs but screen updates should be faster i.e less short pauses when entering a system, occasional screen tearing etc but I'm purchasing this PC mainly for the future release of MS FS2020 seeing as I have played every Microsoft flight simulator that Microsoft have released over the years until FSX and I never thought they they would return with a new version, but it looks as though it is going to be INCREDIBLE! especially for the VFR aspect and Scenery, so when it happens I will cease my adventures in the Elite Dangerous Universe while I concentrate on FS2020 and only return to ED when new stuff is implemented within the game, after 4.5 years I'm ready, or I will be.

Keep flying safe Commanders.

Last edited:
...so when it happens I will cease my adventures in the Elite Dangerous while I concentrate on FS2020 and only return to ED when new stuff is implemented within the game, after 4.5 years I'm ready, or I will be.

Fortunately, new stuff isn't implemented very often, so you should have plenty of time for FS2020!
o7

That system looks good for the new MFS. Alpha testers with lesser systems are currently running it well, and that's in alpha stage before optimizations.

Why people think FS2020 requires some NASA level computer? Its going to be released for XBOX also, so..

It's not so much about what the game requires. After all, ED requires:
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 4870 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
  • VRAM: 512MB
  • System Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Storage: 7 GB Hard drive space
  • DirectX 11 Compatible Graphics Card
It looks and performs much better on systems with a bit more horsepower, though.

Why people think FS2020 requires some NASA level computer? Its going to be released for XBOX also, so..

It's because it looks so incredible graphically. People assume it will need a super high end PC to pull that off, when in reality it's due to a modern engine built from the ground up for modern PCs.

Fortunately, new stuff isn't implemented very often, so you should have plenty of time for FS2020!
o7
Microsoft are talking about a release in the middle of 2020, and there test machine is based on the Nvidia 2080ti and very fast network speeds as the VFR scenery is streamed as needed.

It's not so much about what the game requires. After all, ED requires:
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 4870 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
  • VRAM: 512MB
  • System Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Storage: 7 GB Hard drive space
  • DirectX 11 Compatible Graphics Card
It looks and performs much better on systems with a bit more horsepower, though.
Exactly! got to be prepared.

It's because it looks so incredible graphically. People assume it will need a super high end PC to pull that off, when in reality it's due to a modern engine built from the ground up for modern PCs.
That system looks good for the new MFS. Alpha testers with lesser systems are currently running it well, and that's in alpha stage before optimizations.
I hope so, I've spent hours trying to work out a good build with some future proofing, after all who knows what is coming in the future.

Exactly! got to be prepared.

No harm in doing a bit of future proofing when building a new PC, and your thinking chimes with mine, I'm mighty inclined to use MSFS as a good excuse reason for a new PC. Although a new PC is always a decent chunk of change, if I costed it out per hour of fun I suspect it would represent very good value for money.

I didn't buy a new highish end PC purely for the coming FS2020, I also use my PC for video editing and design projects. Since purchasing the new PC I re-ran Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it showed a vast improvement in the graphic quality than my previous old PC and I could now push all my settings to Ultra, so it's a Win, Win. I'm a retired IT Consultant and have been using a PC since the BBC model B and Texas TI and many other ancient computers, but now (with new PC's) it's getting really interesting!

I still have my BBC B, such an iconic piece of kit. One of the nicest keyboard actions around at the time, it made typing a pleasure. Mind you the IBM 'clicky' keyboard remains my all time favourite.

Just ordered a New PC with a Ryzen 3600X CPU on a x540 M/B AM4, 1Tb Samsung EVO Plus PCIe M.2, 32Gb of Corsair 3200 Ram and an RTX 2070 GPU. Now I know this kind of build will not effect the way Elite Dangerous runs but screen updates should be faster i.e less short pauses when entering a system, occasional screen tearing etc but I'm purchasing this PC mainly for the future release of MS FS2020 seeing as I have played every Microsoft flight simulator that Microsoft have released over the years until FSX and I never thought they they would return with a new version, but it looks as though it is going to be INCREDIBLE! especially for the VFR aspect and Scenery, so when it happens I will cease my adventures in the Elite Dangerous Universe while I concentrate on FS2020 and only return to ED when new stuff is implemented within the game, after 4.5 years I'm ready, or I will be.

Keep flying safe Commanders.
Cpu and gfx upgradeable so you should be fine.

Top Bottom