New physics or vanishing planets?

I would love to see the galmap get more robust search and filter options, but it's also a double-edged sword. It would make it easier to find specific kinds of things, which is great when you're using it... but it would also mean that people like us would tag all the cool stuff, making new discoveries difficult for everyone down the line. ;) :D

For Trojans there is little predictive power without already being in system and taking a look. So not totally sure what the complaint is...

We know from gravitational and rotational mechanics that in systems with low numbers of bodies they should be more prevalent. BUT the configuration in which you have a sizeable celestial body at a Lagrange point, is always going to be somewhat rare. Yes they are stable points, but stray away from them and you are basically ejected. The gravitational influence of the Trojan should also be small on both the primary body and the secondary. Well this isn't true strictly i dont think... i think it works out the best configurations are ones were they are equal in mass, to each other and much smaller than the Primary... OR the trojan is of about 1/100th the mass of the secondary. Maybe the 120degrees observations fit in with objects of similar/equal mass? Id have to slap the equations into a plotter to really tell to be honest.

I need to look through the spreadsheets you legends have filled in... So it will be interesting if the stellar forge reproduced what you might expect from the equations.

Issue is largely around the fact the calculations are 'easy' for two body systems, when you add more, things get a bit more tricky. Like in our own solar system, there are a few lagrange objects for the Earth, but the number observed is quite small and that is because of Jupiter supressing the stability of the L4 and L5 lagrange points in the Sun-Earth system.

I would love to see the galmap get more robust search and filter options, but it's also a double-edged sword. It would make it easier to find specific kinds of things, which is great when you're using it... but it would also mean that people like us would tag all the cool stuff, making new discoveries difficult for everyone down the line. ;):D

All the cool stuff (beside supergiants) is in AA-A H systems anyway...

Top Bottom