New Planet Tech is KILLER of Exploration (all terrain is tiling/repeating/not procedural/random)

It's not only looking differently. It's looking worse. One is quite pretty, the other is a low poly beige thing on smooth hills with no noise or efforts.
So?
I have been in ice worlds in EDO that look similar to the "demo version".
So what if they are under different coords?
Do you guys even follow EDO screenshots thread, or is some cognitive dissonance too much to handle?

The part of problem where EDO allegedly can't generate beautiful and detailed landscapes is false,
the other part that it's too repetitive is true.

So?
Do you guys even follow EDO screenshots thread, or is some cognitive dissonance too much to handle?

The part of problem where EDO allegedly can't generate beautiful and detailed landscapes is false,
Don't forget the "yoghurtification" :)

Ha habido media docena de comentarios que intentan sugerir que las texturas repetidas son trastornos cerebrales, sesgos cognitivos y el suyo, que dice "sesgo de confirmación".
Este no es un tema COGNITIVO ni PSICÓGICO, que se maneje de esa manera, y es ofensivo que alguien intente impulsar esa narrativa.
Don't try to play the victim card with me.

So?

The engine CAN generate beautiful landscapes and imagery, and its a damn fine spaceship operations simulator (I am extremely adept.... at operating ship systems, have all buttons and controls set to defaults, and have memorized them in a way Ive rarely memorized game controls. I LOVE operating my ships) that kept me playing it for longer than any other game in my history. The only other game I played close to this much was Eve Online (circa 2004-2015), and before it Dark Ages of Camelot. I played those games 2-3000 hours each, but have played Elite for literally 5000 hours and counting.

People who say it CANT generate beautiful imagery either are not experienced, or their anger is too great and they have forgotten what it CAN do.

That does not alleviate the pressure against Frontier for releasing a game that wasnt ready, or any of the other critiques, but its something I know I keep in mind. I wouldnt be here, yes-- sometimes fighting with people -- if I didnt enjoy this game.

Wait, should I now get all dramatic, because on test/alpha/whatever servers planets were reshuffled/generator formula changed and release planet with the same numbers looks differently?
It's not like EDO has no real issues and we have to invent some more desperately like that...
I am not sure you understand. Some people are not getting anywhere this level of detail that was in Alpha. It just looks like junk. That is the point of this. To find out WHY. So stop being so presumptive or try to chip in. Or off and do something else.

The engine CAN generate beautiful landscapes and imagery, and its a damn fine spaceship operations simulator (I am extremely adept.... at operating ship systems, have all buttons and controls set to defaults, and have memorized them in a way Ive rarely memorized game controls. I LOVE operating my ships) that kept me playing it for longer than any other game in my history. The only other game I played close to this much was Eve Online (circa 2004-2015), and before it Dark Ages of Camelot. I played those games 2-3000 hours each, but have played Elite for literally 5000 hours and counting.

People who say it CANT generate beautiful imagery either are not experienced, or their anger is too great and they have forgotten what it CAN do.

That does not alleviate the pressure against Frontier for releasing a game that wasnt ready, or any of the other critiques, but its something I know I keep in mind. I wouldnt be here, yes-- sometimes fighting with people -- if I didnt enjoy this game.
Please note that the higher off the ground you get, the more it look like melted ice cream and less "antartica in space". Note how a lot, if not all, the screenshots provided to prove that it doesn't look like trash are made on spacelegs, or low altitude. Not in high altitude.

The stream was in altitude and looked like antartica in space. Not melted ice cream.

essentially this is what the game is doing (this is procedural) and because of my texture choice, the yoghurtification issue also happens. I also suspect this is why complex atmospheres are definitely off the cards until everyone is using quantum computing
water planet.jpg

I am not sure you understand. Some people are not getting anywhere this level of detail that was in Alpha. It just looks like junk. That is the point of this. To find out WHY. So stop being so presumptive or try to chip in. Or off and do something else.
Aha.
Lemme get it right:
"SOME people are not getting alpha like results."

So others DO get alpha like results.

But what above statement and alpha generally has to do with comparing current screenshots with one made on DEVELOPERS servers?
Assuming that Dr. Ross played on the same seed / proc gen parameters as alpha/retail is pretty stretched.
tinkering with seed/proc gen must have been part of developing process, obviously.

But what above statement and alpha generally has to do with comparing current screenshots with one made on DEVELOPERS servers?
If it's used for advertising, I don't care where it's from. I care to see it in game though.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: EUS
The stream was in altitude and looked like antartica in space. Not melted ice cream.
OK, now I have some specifics - but you are not talking about altitude on that still when two screens are compared?

Because in this specific moment even "demo" version doesn't look very impressive.

I had better looking ice landscapes in EDO.
(yes, I know it's still too flat, I agree).

ZiEsX0.jpg

ZiEdGr.jpg

Zi6vmc.jpg

Zi6YAZ.jpg

To be honest, I don't really like the terrain in No Man's Sky. I like the game and for its purpose it's great, but somehow I always see the same over and over again when traversing those planets.
I'd love to have overhangs and caves in ED. Height maps are boring, especially height maps generated from prefab textures.

Water would be nice, too. ED is still far away from what NMS can do in terms of terrain generation.

The terrain looks godawful from space, and canyons? Nope. Just look at how surprised we were with Pluto when we saw the close ups. Is anyone seriously gonna compare this video game with reality and get away with it?

The terrain looks godawful from space, and canyons? Nope. Just look at how surprised we were with Pluto when we saw the close ups. Is anyone seriously gonna compare this video game with reality and get away with it?
I'll save you the time. NO.
Pluto_UANow thmb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom