New Planet Tech is KILLER of Exploration (all terrain is tiling/repeating/not procedural/random)

On the other hand, posting only pics where it works (nobody denying that) in a thread which deals specifically with parts where it not works is kind of missing the point too. :)
Fighting information filter bubbles is more important then any label on any thread :sneaky:
Focusing on only one side of any story is toxic.

If any patch of land is known to repeat itself, even if it's only just once per planet, then exploration is dead to me, and so is Elite itself by extension, because exploration was my favourite activity.
Agree. Well, maybe not that the game is dead to me, but it is most definitely important that it gets fixed. Never said otherwise. All good, man.

On the other hand, posting only pics where it works (nobody denying that) in a thread which deals specifically with parts where it not works is kind of missing the point too. :)
It really depends on the statement and the picture.
It's no use to post a picture to make a point that duplicates don't exist.
If somebody would say though, that every single planets comes with duplicates, a picture would help to clarify that this isn't the case.
I think of that as helpful actually.

Like above, when someone said that it seems the height of mountains would be capped at 1km, it was helpful when someone provided a picture where that isn't true.
Everybody knows and done.

I mean, the idea is to get an accurate picture of what's what, right?

Fighting information filter bubbles is more important then any label on any thread :sneaky:
Focusing on only one side of any story is toxic.
This thread exactly does focus on one side because it wants to help find the root of the problem. Showing that there are other working things puts things in general perspective but does not help analyzing too much.

And here this shots often just get used with the argument "See, your opinion is invalid, looks good for me".

If you go to your car dealer with a dent in your newly bought car, would it be helpful for you if another customer comes in: "Hey, I have no dent, everything fine"?

I always said for instance (can only talk for myself, don't like "we" in forums anyway), the new tech looks gorgeous. But I have massive problems with the repetitiveness of everything in the game right now.

It really depends on the statement and the picture.
It's no use to post a picture to make a point that duplicates don't exist.
If somebody would say though, that every single planets comes with duplicates, a picture would help to clarify that this isn't the case.
I think of that as helpful actually.

Like above, when someone said that it seems the height of mountains would be capped at 1km, it was helpful when someone provided a picture where that isn't true.
Everybody knows and done.

I mean, the idea is to get an accurate picture of what's what, right?
There I'm with you - but what we see in this thread in the last couple of dozen pages again and again are people crying "It''s all bad" and others "It's all good". And the "It's all good" fraction is a tad more "vocal" here at the moment missing the point.

On the other hand, everything in this thread has already been said numerous times, there is an acknowledged Issue, the CMs mentioned it, the roadmap did. I would call that "goal achieved" :)

Edit: With "It's all good crowd" i did explicitly not include the quoted poster, you have been always fair. ;)

Last edited:
Oh, thanks for clarifying what the real purpose of this thread is.
I was under impression that such biased focusing only serves feeding the "ED IS DOOMED AND EDO PLANETS ARE UGLY, FLAT AND ALL THE SAME" song choir.

;)
Sadly the thread has an open door policy, and someone keeps letting the weirdos in :D

Oh, thanks for clarifying what the real purpose of this thread is.
I was under impression that such biased focusing only serves feeding the "ED IS DOOMED AND EDO PLANETS ARE UGLY, FLAT AND ALL THE SAME" song choir.

;)
Sarcasm is a nice feature, doesn't bode too well on the internet.

And please show me your "ED IS DOOMED AND EDO PLANETS ARE UGLY, FLAT AND ALL THE SAME" song choir under the regularly posting people in this thread. Mostly its people dropping in on either side for a couple of posts and that's.

Sure, just keep on feeding the extremes...

Psst.
The thread is derailing. :D

EDIT:
Here's a nice duplicate pattern from my personal collection to get back on track.

2021-05-25 09_05_52-Greenshot.jpg

It's there. There's no denying. And no it's not the end of the world or means that Elite or Odyssey is doomed.

Last edited:
(...)
(...)
So, if we are focusing back on the tiling problem, I want to remind that the more serious possible issue is not the one that is so obvious to confirm like shown above "rabbit planet" with a lot of the same "stamp" on the same planet.

If I understood "If any patch of land is known to repeat itself, even if it's only just once per planet," correctly, Fnool was refering to usage of the same pattern on SEVERAL planets, what is would be more concerning IMO.
ATM I can think of the infamous rayed-crated, and a "zig-zag" terrain feature I have pictured on different planets and already pasted here myself.

Of such kind of repetition happens on larger scale then we managed to find out until now, it would be indeed a design flaw with fatal consequences to the very sense of exploring.

So, if we are focusing back on the tiling problem, I want to remind that the more serious possible issue is not the one that is so obvious to confirm like shown above "rabbit planet" with a lot of the same "stamp" on the same planet.

If I understood "If any patch of land is known to repeat itself, even if it's only just once per planet," correctly, Fnool was refering to usage of the same pattern on SEVERAL planets, what is would be more concerning IMO.
ATM I can think of the infamous rayed-crated, and a "zig-zag" terrain feature I have pictured on different planets and already pasted here myself.

Of such kind of repetition happens on larger scale then we managed to find out until now, it would be indeed a design flaw with fatal consequences to the very sense of exploring.
I also think some people are less annoyed by it than others. When I see it, it annoys me greatly.
I'm visiting planets non-stop for a week now and gladly don't see it very often. I also never saw something like the "Rabbit Planet" (sorry, that's a thing now I fear) which is why it's a good example for this being a glitch.

I'm really looking forward to a statement about this and the other issues with planetary tech later.
I really love it otherwise and want the kinks to be gone. Can't wait, to be honest.

I also think some people are less annoyed by it than others. When I see it, it annoys me greatly.
I'm visiting planets non-stop for a week now and gladly don't see it very often. I also never saw something like the "Rabbit Planet" (sorry, that's a thing now I fear) which is why it's a good example for this being a glitch.

I'm really looking forward to a statement about this and the other issues with planetary tech later.
I really love it otherwise and want the kinks to be gone. Can't wait, to be honest.
Absolutely. I think it is part of the problem that planets now can look so great. That makes us all a bit more sensitive for the flaws that are there.

I also think some people are less annoyed by it than others.
Yes, and this is confusing me.

"Technically"
even when the same pattern would repeat a few times on a single planet
BUT
it would be proc generated (even partially) and unique to this specific planet

exploring would still be more rewarding and made more sense then

having the same pattern used
only ONCE per planet
but reused on multiple planets.

Because in the first case planets would still be unique,
in the second not at all.

Yes, and this is confusing me.

"Technically"
even when the same pattern would repeat a few times on a single planet
BUT
it would be proc generated (even partially) and unique to this specific planet

exploring would still be more rewarding and made more sense then

having the same pattern used
only ONCE per planet
but reused on multiple planets.

Because in the first case planets would still be unique,
in the second not at all.
I think it's all down to individual perception.

For instance I can be fooled easier if there are 50 planets with 10 showing one repetition of a samey pattern than from one planet with tons of repetitions.

In the end its all an elaborate illusion and I fear we have seen how the trick works.

Still, I see a lot of anger and lamenting about the first problem,
and very few about the latter.

With maybe exception of claim that the mountain I pasted is allegedly "the same ridge again".
BTW I would really like for that someone to show "clones" of this specific mountain, what would totally fit my concerns, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Top Bottom