Newcomer / Intro New Player (again!) Cant find missions - help please

Ok... so where I have selected a mission and I have cargo not yet delivered or picked-up...
It's the only mission I have active at this station so when I opened the mission board, this was the default faction and mission showing to be selected.

Once it's selected off the main menu (it's under the heading 'Ongoing Missions' ...then it opens it up again so I can pick up more of the cargo.

Also on the Left side Navigation Panel.. under transactions... you can open up to check the mission and it does show the name of the mission giver... agreed it would be nice to see the origin system as well, but I don't think it does that.

Hope that helps...

WTH, that is where I am right now! Seriously, that is weird :), that is where I just docked.

It's a nice place with much to offer. This or a place like this makes a great home system. I'm down in the hanger now grilling hotdogs on the little gas grill I picked up at the commissary. If you hear Cajun music that'll be me. Oh yeah, you are in Federation Space.

It's a nice place with much to offer. This or a place like this makes a great home system. I'm down in the hanger now grilling hotdogs on the little gas grill I picked up at the commissary. If you hear Cajun music that'll be me. Oh yeah, you are in Federation Space.

Perfect visual, I look forward to when Elite allows that. And I thought of you before I knew I was in the same system as when I entered and it said Federation space - I thought of the earlier conversation. Although I was interdicted when I entered the system I was able to avoid it. I don't even know how to turn on my shields, haha, I don't even know if I have shields :)

I think I have my cargo hold maxed at 8, so looking to do a series of dataruns, and small cargo missions to ramp myself up to an ASP. After that, we will see, but got some Galaxy to explore. Hopefully the beta will be over and the next release will kick in then so I can start fresh with the new exploration system.

Make sure you are getting the rep on some of the data runs. As your rep increases the pay and mission availability increases. Your shields should be on. On the right side of your sensor screen is a holo icon of your ship. You should see some blue rings around it showing 100%. Those are your shields and what strength they are. If you get into a fight or get shot at that number will decrease as your shield strength decreases from damage. Lots of data and courier missions in this little cluster of stars but be careful with the strategic data transfer. Sometimes those will get ships sent out after you. You'll see a message in the comms screen upper left and then sometimes you'll see the messages of "I have him in my sites" and stuff like that. They are out to destroy you to destroy the data. Big fun trying to outwit them. If you haven't been to the Coriolis site yet, it's a good place to go and plug in your ship and all the updates you've done to it so you can see the performance. You can do a mock build there to see what your next upgrade is and how it will effect your ship too. I use it all the time. https://coriolis.edcd.io/ Give it a whirl. It's a cool site.

Last edited:
Make sure you are getting the rep on some of the data runs. As your rep increases the pay and mission availability increases. Your shields should be on. On the right side of your sensor screen is a holo icon of your ship. You should see some blue rings around it showing 100%. Those are your shields and what strength they are. If you get into a fight or get shot at that number will decrease as your shield strength decreases from damage. Lots of data and courier missions in this little cluster of stars but be careful with the strategic data transfer. Sometimes those will get ships sent out after you. You'll see a message in the comms screen upper left and then sometimes you'll see the messages of "I have him in my sites" and stuff like that. They are out to destroy you to destroy the data. Big fun trying to outwit them. If you haven't been to the Coriolis site yet, it's a good place to go and plug in your ship and all the updates you've done to it so you can see the performance. You can do a mock build there to see what your next upgrade is and how it will effect your ship too. I use it all the time. https://coriolis.edcd.io/ Give it a whirl. It's a cool site.

A minor correction.
The rings around the holo image are your shield but it is their number (max 3) and how bright they are that show their strength, the number is an indication of the state of your hull/ship.

Thank you for this. But I can agree with you - I don't know where I am either :). The game started, I did tutorials, now I am milling about doing data runs wherever it logged me in. I certainly don't know where Federation space is. My ED goals are fairly humble, I just want to get a ASP and get a feel for the galaxy. I hear the ASP is the best experience for VR. So yes, I do want to make money to get there, but I don't want to do anything that implies a grind. Your 35 jump screnio actually sounds fun - once :), but not back and forth.
Home system? Is that just something I decide?
Thanks!

First of all, it's Asp, not ASP. The name of the snake, like Adder, Sidewinder or Anaconda. Sorry about that.

I assume you're in your starter Sidewinder and still more or less in the starter area (the game dumps everyone in one of two starter systems, depending on whether you have Horizons and chose the planetary base for starters or not, and with the jump range of that ship, you're unlikely to leave the general area until you've made some upgrades). If you don't want to grind, that Asp is still a long way away.

Federation space: go to your GalMap, and, on the top, tab over to the display mode, then select "Powerplay". The map will show lots of coloured blobs, like a heap of soap bubbles. Those are the influence spheres of the powers. The powers again are associated to one of the superpowers: Federation, Empire or Alliance. In addition to that, there are Independent systems and Anarchies.

As for VR: if you want the Asp just for the cockpit, any of the Lakon ships will do, they look pretty much all the same from the inside: Type-6, Type-7, Type-9, Keelback and Asp. The T-6 makes a good (and cheaper) alternative for the Asp for everything except combat. But personally, I don't like the Asp in VR. At the moment, I like to use a couple of upgraded Sidewinders for fun and a couple of Krait Mk.II's for making money. Come Tuesday, I'm thinking about getting a Mamba for the fun part.

So, getting that Asp... or indeed enough money to get out of that Sidey in the first place. Depends on what you want to do. Trying the different mission types is a good start. And in any case, you'll need something like your first million to buy a Hauler and D-rate it. You can skip the fuel scoop and the surface scanner at first if you stick to local missions, that brings you down to maybe 400 kCr. for the ship and backup (a.k.a. Rebuy). But if you play in VR, you want to get out of that Hauler fast - it has the charm of a Korean small van :). But it can carry some cargo and get an impressive jump rage, even without engineering.

I'm not going to set you onto the "Road To Riches" (Google it in ED context, if you want to), because you'll still need a million or so to set up a ship for that (the scanners are expensive), and it'll change completely next Tuesday. Just so you know: scanning planets that you haven't scanned before yields sellable data - up to several hundred K in the case of inhabitable worlds. But you can only sell that data at least 20 ly off.

Home System: wherever you decide to hang your hat. If you want to store your fleet and spares in a single system, then it's that. I don't have that kind of discipline, so my ships are stored wherever I used them last - I still (I think...) have a Dolphin sitting in the Pencil sector....

Alright, I got impatient or cocky, or both and screwed up. Since exploration is my first love and the systems they put me in appear to run right up against a bunch of unexplored space, I spent all my money on an intermediate discovery scanner and went out - in my sidewinder :). It started well. I just went from system to system horn spamming the system and gathering data. Butttttt, I am struggling bad to find stars I can scoop from, let alone crashing into one and probably hitting 110% before I was able to pull away - and always overheating in general. But now I find I am in the middle of COL 285 SECTOR Hell. From the Galaxy MAP that is ALL I see, no matter how far I look. I probably did 30 jumps at 12 LY or so, randomly, and find myself not knowing how to get back to a station.
How do I know where to find a station? I am now trying to limp "backwards" picking 'orange' stars so I can keep my fuel up, but after logging off right now I will lose the gray breadcrump trails and don't know where to go.
Thoughts on how to find a station.....?

I guess my biggest question (and I have looked) is there an online version of the Galaxy Map so I can at least look at it on my PC and get a feel for which direction to go? I have no problem "limping" along - I just don't want to go deeper.

THanks!

Scott

Last edited:
And welcome back to the great family of the Elite ! Cmdr

:)

Thanks!
I was never far, as I kept up on the forums - and lived through a bunch of you :), so I get a lot of what has occurred but am very rough in my skills. I actually never played that much I was mostly just showing off the Dk2, leave a station, fly around and then dock again. I did a little bit of exploration (in my sidey!), but just never really played much.... not for a lack of loving it, just adulting with some other pressing things.

As for VR: if you want the Asp just for the cockpit, any of the Lakon ships will do, they look pretty much all the same from the inside: Type-6, Type-7, Type-9, Keelback and Asp. The T-6 makes a good (and cheaper) alternative for the Asp for everything except combat. But personally, I don't like the Asp in VR...

Thank you for all of this - I read it several times.
On the above why don't you like the Asp in VR? Is it all those ships you mention with a similar cockpit you don't like, or because the Asp looks like a college dorm room (a bunch of people said that elsewhere), or something else? Curious since I plan to buy one ship and only have that for awhile. I know a lot of people say that, but that really is my gaming style. I want to explore, and I especially want to see that view in VR, perhaps a little bit of combat, some small hauling. Price point, ability and features - that is the car to buy for me :), but I would love to know why you don't like it in VR.

The star classes that allow you to scoop are K, G, B, F, O, A, M...
(easy to remember as russian bubble bath)
When your FSD charges up it shows what type of star you are jumping toward, and you can cancel if you don't like.
You can see this info in the Galaxy map for systems,
and you can also set your filters in the Galmap to jump only mostly through those type, or to display them, etc.
The filters are on one of the tabs in there.

As far as overheating.... probably you will have less of this with A-rated powerplants and FSDs and the like... I expect this is primarily a byproduct of low efficiency and high heat generating parts at the moment.

Filters will also show you inhabited space, etc. You can set it to show systems with economies and there you find stations.

Cheers.. and all the best on your flights.. o7

Alright, I got impatient or cocky, or both and screwed up. Since exploration is my first love and the systems they put me in appear to run right up against a bunch of unexplored space, I spent all my money on an intermediate discovery scanner and went out - in my sidewinder :). It started well. I just went from system to system horn spamming the system and gathering data. Butttttt, I am struggling bad to find stars I can scoop from, let alone crashing into one and probably hitting 110% before I was able to pull away - and always overheating in general. But now I find I am in the middle of COL 285 SECTOR Hell. From the Galaxy MAP that is ALL I see, no matter how far I look. I probably did 30 jumps at 12 LY or so, randomly, and find myself not knowing how to get back to a station.
How do I know where to find a station? I am now trying to limp "backwards" picking 'orange' stars so I can keep my fuel up, but after logging off right now I will lose the gray breadcrump trails and don't know where to go.
Thoughts on how to find a station.....?

I guess my biggest question (and I have looked) is there an online version of the Galaxy Map so I can at least look at it on my PC and get a feel for which direction to go? I have no problem "limping" along - I just don't want to go deeper.

THanks!

Scott

Responding to my own post. I knew about EDSM, but I didn't know it would give me this!
I think this is my answer, I show I am 54LY from a bunch of stations. So I will try for one of these, but then use this tool to check "how far" into unexplored I get.

https://www.edsm.net/en/search/stat...ol+285+Sector+ES-A+c14-16/sortBy/distanceCMDR

Thank you for all of this - I read it several times.
On the above why don't you like the Asp in VR? Is it all those ships you mention with a similar cockpit you don't like, or because the Asp looks like a college dorm room (a bunch of people said that elsewhere), or something else? Curious since I plan to buy one ship and only have that for awhile. I know a lot of people say that, but that really is my gaming style. I want to explore, and I especially want to see that view in VR, perhaps a little bit of combat, some small hauling. Price point, ability and features - that is the car to buy for me :), but I would love to know why you don't like it in VR.

There are small variations between the Lakon greenhouse cockpits and I know some find the interrogation sorry inferior lights annoying in the Asp Explorer, it is often claimed that the T9/T10 have the best view though while exploring though you would have to visit more systems as they can't jump as far.

On the above why don't you like the Asp in VR?

I can't give you anything specific - but mainly, for me, it's the vibe/impression of being in a clapped out utility truck. Cables dangling from the ceiling and held on with duct tape and an engine that sound like it's overdue for an overhaul by a couple of centuries. If I want a mess, I can look at my real life desktop [where is it].

But that's entirely personal - there are other people who love the Asp, so I'd say you'll have to try it for yourself. As a counterpoint, I like the Krait Mk.II (and any second now, Para Handy will come in and swear at the lights shining in his face) - but most likely I'll start off 3.3 with a Mamba and see where that gets me. For exploration, I currently have an (old) Dolphin on my first account, sitting out in the western fringe and waiting for the new scanner - and, when he returns to the bibble, he'll get a new Dolphin, with a midnight black paintjob and a fuel scoop where the passenger module used to be.

Regarding your question about how to find a station: in-game, open the GalMap, tab right to the display options, then show any of the human related attributes (like economy - or even just civilization) and, if necessary, filter for what you want. Out of game, eddb is your friend. Go to the "stations" page, enter your current location as "reference system", then click on the "find stations" button. Sort and filter as you like from the other fields available.

On the above why don't you like the Asp in VR? ............

These bright lights on the canopy frame are really eye-watering out in the dark:

a8UcL2g.jpg

When on a monitor you can reduce the FOV to have them out of frame normally - in VR they are "in your face" just about all the time.

... for an "Exploration" vessel, the idea of two gurt big blue-white spotlights shining in your face is just stupid and F D have never responded to the many complaints about it.

These bright lights on the canopy frame are really eye-watering out in the dark:

When on a monitor you can reduce the FOV to have them out of frame normally - in VR they are "in your face" just about all the time.

... for an "Exploration" vessel, the idea of two gurt big blue-white spotlights shining in your face is just stupid and F D have never responded to the many complaints about it.

No! :). I wanted nothing more than to go out into the dark three years ago when I started and stopped Elite. Now I am close to the money for the Asp! I get it, I have seen those lights in videos and they look good in videos but you are probably right. My eyes get super sensitive, so I might be one of them that doesn't like them.
Try before you buy program.....? :).
What is the resale value of ships - somehow I never even came across that in all my forum readings if that is even a possibility.

Thanks

No! :). I wanted nothing more than to go out into the dark three years ago when I started and stopped Elite. Now I am close to the money for the Asp! I get it, I have seen those lights in videos and they look good in videos but you are probably right. My eyes get super sensitive, so I might be one of them that doesn't like them.
Try before you buy program.....? :).
What is the resale value of ships - somehow I never even came across that in all my forum readings if that is even a possibility.

Thanks

You sell ships at 90% of the purchase price including any modules left aboard, modules are sold ar 100% of purchase price if sold separately, so the thing to do is remove and sell (or store) all but the essential modules and replace those with the cheapest you can fit to minimise that loss.

IF my T6 doesn't cut it for mining (I have it set up for that now but was waiting for the update to be done), I have plans to refit it into an exploration ship. I'll rename it as well but haven't given that much thought. Here is how I'll more than likely outfit it for exploration: https://s.orbis.zone/1618 It has a really good jump range and if you remove the Guardian FSD booster it still has respectable jump range. Being a Lakon ship it has that awesome cockpit view without those bright lights in your face and check out the price on the Coriolis build site. If you almost have enough for the Asp now do an explorer build and see what the final cost will be. Then compare it to the T6X final cost.

[video=youtube;6xEoZ9EVnpY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xEoZ9EVnpY[/video]

I love my little Sidewinder, MSS Sunrise. I still fly it from time to time just to do something different than what I was doing. A lot of folks just get rid of it as soon as possible but I recommend keeping it. You'll find it handy later on when you want a new ship but it's in a different system than you. Flying over there to get it and then shipping your Sidewinder back to your home system is pretty cheap. I've done it several times and the shipping cost on that tiny ship is almost nothing.

Eventually they do it like I did - get rid of a "loaned" Sidewinder, and buy an own one. This was one of the things I did first, with the first money get rid of all the modules which were loaned and finally the loaned ship - and buy my own Sidewinder - and I still have and fly her, renamed her a couple of times, now she's called Dust Devil.

Top Bottom