New Player question about playstyles

So I'm looking to get into elite dangerous, and one of the things I've been unable to find out is how PVP interacts with PVE. Are there dedicated PVP servers and dedicated PVE servers, or are there PVP zones in the PVE servers, or how does the interaction work? If I kit out a ship on a PVE server, will I be able to bring it into PVP? And if it gets blown up in PVP will it get blown up in PVE? thanks for the help.

There are three modes:
1: Open
2: Group Play
3: Solo

In open you can run into anyone who may be naughty or who may be nice.
In group play you only run into players who are members of the group.
In solo play you're all by your lonesome - you won't even see another player, ever.

You do not select a server - only who can interact with you in the universe.

Any ship you create can be used in any mode at any time.

For example: Let's say you did a bunch of mining while in open mode and your ship is full of valuables. If you know you're approaching an area with lots of player killers you can log out, log back into the game in solo mode, and complete your mission. The different modes only control who can and who cannot get to you - it has no other impact on the game. You can contribute to the community in substantial ways while in solo mode, for example.

I play exclusively in group play because I'm relatively new and I'm still crafting my ship.
Once my ship is complete and I've money set aside I'll fly around in open and get ganked. :D

There's open, player groups, and solo.

PVP and PVE happen on open. You can and probably will be shot just for flying around. Think of Reavers in Firefly. Everybody has a different experience with this, some get killed a lot, some never get killed.

PVP and PVE can happen in player groups, however you'll never encounter another player that's not in your group. E.g. it's a universe for just you and your friends

Only PVE happens in solo. You'll never experience another player here.

It's up to you and your own personal preferences where you play but there's no dedicated servers like in ARK or something like that.
I've been playing in open for 4 years and to me, that's the most fun, sure sometimes a ganker will chase me but I prefer that thrill, you may not. Whatever you choose, welcome to elite, fly dangerous commander o7

We all almost forgot one big thing.

When you get blowed up, your ship will be replaced by your ship insurance.

NEVER FLY WITHOUT A REBUY

Which is to say, don't blow ALL your money on a brand new shiny ship because that's the one time you get stuck in the mail slot and station security blows you up and you can't afford insurance to rebuy your ship and you're back to a loaner sidewinder.

Also, right now, they're giving out free anacondas at Hutton Orbital for new players

Whatever gamemode you decide, your actions impact the same shared galaxy. For example, if you shoot a lot of cops in a low population system, that system might go into a state of civil unrest, regardless what mode you have chosen to play in.

• If you want to play "dangerous" and have the chance to meet strangers in space, you'll go for open.
  • If you want to play with friends in a private space, play private groups.
  • If you want to play all by yourself, play solo.
Think of the modes as blocking filters for your game instance. Open does not block anyone. Group blocks all players but those invited to the group. Solo blocks all players except you.

Also there are no rules about pvp engagements. Everything goes. But you can also block specfic players, even in open play.

Combat logging is frowned upon, but there is a legal opt-out timer of 15 seconds if you quit the game during combat. This is legally allowed, but frowned upon by some.

Last edited:
That's not a problem. You just activate the blue toggle left of the keyboard in your cockpit¹ and the Advanced FSD will take you directly there. The discounts are amazing, by the way.

¹ blue toggle only present in limited edition Cobra Mk IV class ships.

Siobhan,
First, I have that blue toggle on my limited edition Zeus Class War Moon.
Secondly, that joke you made about other players to the developers (1) - I think one of them did a Tequila spit-take all over his VR headset.
Anyways, still laughing about that. How are we ever going to get player bases out to the general population if you keep making jokes about yours?

Sincerely,
Wargfoot

NOTES
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: Even cleaned up I cannot post it here.

In open play, if someone wants to attack you for any reason, they can, and vice versa.

Open is Anarchy, basically.

But don't get the wrong idea. The Galaxy is enormous, and even in populated space, player interactions are incredibly rare outside of popular systems, so you may not encounter anyone depending on where you hang out. Just be alert when travelling in certain areas, and you'll be fine.

Basically "modes" are just filters and nothing more.
Solo is just you
PGs are whitelists
Open is unfiltered.

You can make your own blacklists which work in addition to these.

So I'm looking to get into elite dangerous, and one of the things I've been unable to find out is how PVP interacts with PVE. Are there dedicated PVP servers and dedicated PVE servers, or are there PVP zones in the PVE servers, or how does the interaction work? If I kit out a ship on a PVE server, will I be able to bring it into PVP? And if it gets blown up in PVP will it get blown up in PVE? thanks for the help.

Also maybe it is worth noting that when you lose your ship you also:
  • lose any cargo you may have (including unique cargo),
  • lose all the bounty/combat/powerplay vouchers (these are worth money and also may represent game progress)
  • lose your npc crew (if you have one active on the ship that goes boom). These can be trained and losing a high rank one is rather painful
  • lose all cartographic data you might have

The last one is really game-breaking because you might spend months exploring the galaxy (and gathering cartographic data).
Then you decide to come back to civilization and you are blown to pieces by someone before you can dock and cash in.
Simply because Open is the first option in the menu screen and anyway you haven't seen anyone for months.
Or you do a stupid mistake and crash your ship.
And you lose literally months of playtime

And not at last, you will lose the ship too if you don't have credits to cover the insurance which is 5% of the total value of the ship.
I wouldn't worry much about this one tho, credits are easy to make if you really want to make credits.

]
...The last one is really game-breaking...

That is a feature, not a game breaker.

Sure, it's super frustrating to lose a ton of explo data, but it doesn't really make sense that something stored solely on your shipboard computer would survive the destruction of your ship.

Plus, isn't it so much sweeter when you turn like 30 pages of data in that could've been wiped out if you weren't such a good pilot? It's like a little reward at the end of your journey.

That is a feature, not a game breaker.

Sure, it's super frustrating to lose a ton of explo data, but it doesn't really make sense that something stored solely on your shipboard computer would survive the destruction of your ship.

Plus, isn't it so much sweeter when you turn like 30 pages of data in that could've been wiped out if you weren't such a good pilot? It's like a little reward at the end of your journey.
Engineering materials survive, so why not data?

Engineering materials survive, so why not data?

You are 100% right. They definitely should be handled the same, my opinion is they should be lost also.

Man, how bad of a grind would engineering be if you lost all that too?

I'm kind of a masochistic purist when it comes to gaming though. So don't put too much weight on my opinions of how things should or shouldn't be.

If it was up to me, everything would be death metal level hard mode at all times

You are 100% right. They definitely should be handled the same, my opinion is they should be lost also.

Man, how bad of a grind would engineering be if you lost all that too?
LOL yeah... agreed.
I'm also of the opinion that insurance should not cover the unauthorised upgrades we all do to our ship systems (engineer upgrades), and that after becoming pixel dust, the ship should come back as stock, with only factory authorised upgrades, so A rated would be fine, but not G5 engineered.

Top Bottom