New player, slightly overwhelmed.

Hello Commanders.

I’m fresh off the assembly line new. Along with that is my acute anxiety disorder, PTSD (non combat but still human related), and Bi disorder. Now this might make some of you say “don’t bother” due in part to the shear vastness of this game, and that would be understandable.

I however have been wanting to play this game for years and have now found myself with the opportunity given the recent sale. Yay!!

I love space games and the loneliness of space is right up my ally given my disabilities. I just need a Sherpa of sorts to help me.

Looking to explore. I was inspired by the Distant Worlds expeditions and would love to someday be competent enough a pilot to partake in such an endeavor.

I’m looking for a group that won’t mind a mild case of neurosis and is patient enough to help me given my disabilities. I already love this game, I just need to get past my apprehensions.

So here’s my S.O.S.

Reaching out to people scares the hell out of me so if your rude or just wanting to troll someone with disabilities, just know I’ll report you ASAP. Legitimate help is however greatly appreciated.

Thank you beforehand to the ED community.

The Dastardly Jon

Welcome home Cmdr, o7.
First things first, and just out of curiosity, what platform are you on?
Also, this place is a lot more friendly than it tends to be made out too be. Plenty of fellow cmdrs are in the same boat as yourself. Im ex military and have had some experience with PTSD, and this game has worked wonders for me in certain regards 😁. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the game, or are just looking for some company, hit me up Cmdr, I'd be happy to help!
o7
15-08-2019_05-35-46-qhvlhmn3.png

I do appreciate the understanding and help. First things first, it’s nice to meet a fellow veteran. USAF myself (Security Forces). I haven’t had much interaction with online communities, besides twitter, and what little I’ve had has been resoundingly negative.

This community feels different however.

Ok, I’m playing on Xbox. I don’t mess with PC gaming because I’m technologically impaired. Seriously, I am the inferior race lol. Is there cross play?

I do appreciate the understanding and help. First things first, it’s nice to meet a fellow veteran. USAF myself (Security Forces). I haven’t had much interaction with online communities, besides twitter, and what little I’ve had has been resoundingly negative.

This community feels different however.

Ok, I’m playing on Xbox. I don’t mess with PC gaming because I’m technologically impaired. Seriously, I am the inferior race lol. Is there cross play?
Always good to meet a fellow warrior, Faugh a Ballagh Sir! Ex Infantry foot pad here lol

In answer to your question, crossplay... Kinda, we all share the same galaxy and we can effectively change systems from one power to another through our online activities, but we have to stick with our corresponding formats, ie : Xbox, PS and Pc. But can effectively work against one another, through shared community goals, or certain in game events, most recently the Golconda. There will be numerous vids and stuff throughout this forum, so have a wee read through.. can only help with getting an idea of how things can play out! 😁

There are three modes, open(anything goes) private group (like offline but with invited friends) and lastly solo. Stick with what you feel most comfortable with at first.

I also play on Xbox and would be more than happy to wing up and help you get started in the galaxy. We have groups both here and in game who always try and help fellow Cmdrs.

But there's the other side as well... They are more interested in farming salt (I shall explain another time lol, believe me.. it's a well known topic)

I take it you are working on the tutorials and so on currently and are probably within the starter zone. So a lot of the game mechanics well become familiar in time, the learning curve is quite harsh but well worth the time getting to know the ins and outs at first.

Any questions, or just fancy a chat, hit me up here or in game.. my gamer tag is the same as my forum handle! It's : Aj31091

If you want to add me feel free to go ahead, I'll do the same for you.

Check six Cmdr, and o7.. Welcome home 😁

Last edited:
Hi there Commander Dastardly Jon

logo256.png
I'd like to introduce you to the Alliance Rapid-reaction Corps. (ARRC for short)
I see that you've already met our latest recruit and currently our only other XBox player Commander Stiehl9s.

We are a possibly one of the biggest, small Player Minor Factions. We are a well established group with a presence in over 30 of the "Old Worlds"
Our base of operations is in our home system of Zaonce, Ridley Scott station.
The home of the Zaonce Fleet and the Bank of Zaonce.
Our systems include Arque, the new home of Professor Palin and Tionisla, where the famous Ships Graveyard is reputed to bear permanent monument to many a brave pilot.
We really don't mind who you are or where you come from. If you want to be our friends and allies then you will be.
Better still. Why not join us?

A lot of us were here in '84 and as far as game play goes we moslty bimble about engaging in pretty much whatever come to mind.

Our activities include PVE exploration
PvP in Arque protecting commanders looking for Prof. Palin against gank squads.
PvP in a training group called "Fighter Club" (See my signature. No membership required)
Thargoid hunting in the Pleiades
Racing SLFs, SRVs and other vehicles in odd and remote locations
Driving SRVs into space stations...

Well you get the idea. Pretty much anything that's fun.
Join our forum thread and lend us your ideas.

Background Simulation or Powerplay?
Yes we also involve ourselves in the Background Simulation and Powerplay aspects of the game. Flipping systems for the Alliance, fighting to keep or control systems etc.

You pretty much couldn't find a more friendly bunch of commanders with an eye for fun and a taste for adventure always on the lookout for new and exciting things to try.

Come along and give us a go. Join our Discord channel or the Fighter Club thread, or you could apply on INARA where you will find our Faction page.

Time zone is GMT UK but we are to be found online pretty much any time.
We are actively seeking Console players, and players in the US to boost our PS4 and Xbox divisions.
Perhaps you might like to find a home with us.

o7

Hey there commander, welcome to the Elite: Dangerous galaxy and to the Elite: Dangerous forum. It can sometimes be a hive of scum and villainy but don't let that put you off - Elite also has one of the best and most helpful gaming communities I've ever experienced and is, for me at least, the best video game I've ever played (just about to embark on my 6th year). If you're just generally looking for good stuff (useful lists and tutorials and hints and tips and stories and all sorts of other good stuff) then I've made a bit of a career out of attempting to gather that all together in one place ..

alecs-best-of-the-forum-and-elsewhere-v2

I'm afraid it's grown from its nice neat origins into something of a monster thread but do have a browse because it's all good (imho). Basically post #1 is where I post regular(ish) updates of current things that are catching my eye (inside the "Trending" SPOILER tag) and post #2 is the big knowledge base of reference material.

Enjoy and again, welcome to Elite!

Welcome Jon!

Another bipolar cmdr here (also ex-military but 4 weeks basic training before doing my back in doesn't really count...)

There's so much to do, to see, to interact with, it's very daunting sometimes, but like with most things, start out small, try a bit of everything - and DEFINITELY check out the forum for tips and tutorials...after 5 years playing, I've just got round to learning the FSS tool in my ship!

I'm also an xbone flyer, same username on xbox, only with a space between Paulie and Wotsit, come find me!

(Incidentally, I'm normally quiet til we get chatting...)

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Jon
We have a totally accepting community with a significant number of people who would define themselves as neuroatypical. We are however not full of Xbox players - just one or two currently. We were in the same place wrt to PS4 players, but one chap stuck at it and now we have an active PS4 squadron. I hope you find someone to play with. Good luck and have fun.

Greetings CMDR,
I am with Vision of Infinite Dimensions squadron on pc. We are welcoming of new players, as well as players of all kinds, and experience. We would be happy to welcome you and help you get a good start. We stress an intimidation-free environment, and you won't be forced to participate in any activity we have going from day to day. We realize real life comes first, and Elite comes second.

We are a group of mature adults aged ranged from the 20s up to the 50s. We are not that big yet, but it would be an excellent opportunity for a new CMDR to get in on the ground floor and help make this a fantastic squadron.

You can join through Inara by creating an account there and clicking this link: https://inara.cz/squadron/7298/

Also, you can join our discord channel at https://discord.gg/bb4fxcj

Finally, you can join us in-game by using the squadron link in the right-hand panel and search for vision of infinite dimensions.

Thank you for taking the time to check us out.

Top Bottom