Newton's Gambit (100% FAOFF Concept Group)

appleshipDmed.png

Newton’s Gambit represents a group of pilots who are dedicated to flying wholly without the use of Flight Assist (in space and on surface). Though we may be spread over many Minor Factions and Organizations, we hold fast to the ideal of this self-imposed law. Within Elite Lore, we will be an underlying network of Commanders that operate in relative secrecy under the existing powers of the Galaxy. On paper, we will have a custom minor faction representing our interests located in Nauri, an Independent System floating between the powers of the Galaxy with a fully functioning Black Market and ties to some of the biggest powers in the Galaxy.

We accept both Commanders who use a strict FA/OFF policy and those Commanders who are currently developing their skill to transition to this style of play in the future (see education below).

-Ethos-

Commander Relations: To foster camaraderie with a small group of pilots who share a similar passion. Though we may be lone wolves spread across the Galaxy, pledged members of Superpowers, or leaders in our local wings, Gambit Commanders can always turn to Gambit Commanders. We support our fellow Gambit Commanders in their ambitions as we are able, and try to always provide a priority one open channel. Our group is one of close camaraderie, no matter the distance.

Leadership: Our agreement is one between Commanders that exists because we hold fast to its purpose and ethos. At its core, the Gambit is an idea and, as such, has no defacto leader.

Education: To support the education of those Commanders who join the Gambit who are currently working towards a goal of fully FA/OFF but who have not yet succeeded in that transition. Additionally, we support our commanders who wish to provide educational content to the rest of the community.

Immersion: To fly with imagination and to utilize existing systems of the game to create story and immersion.

Legality: The ideals of our commanders may vary greatly, spread wide across the boundaries of legality within the Galaxy. As such, we can hold all Commanders who adhere and support the principles of the Gambit, no matter their status with the Major Powers, or their local bounty.

-Logistics-

Communication: Achieved primarily through our Discord Server and our Inara Wing (for those Commander’s without previous Wings). In order to support those Commanders who need to remain in other Wings, any Critical Information to the Gambit will be propagated through our Discord Server as well as in-game channels to those appropriate commanders. As we will likely be a small group, this will hopefully suffice. As an added layer, we will also support a Discord Server for chat and voice. For now, when Commanders are added to the Gambit, they will be listed in our Reddit post, the Inara Wing, and our Discord Server Channel.

Promotion: Please use the tag #ng-elite if able.

Minor Faction Location: Nauri - Hiraga Dock

Instancing: Open and Private Groups alike

Caveats: The Commanders of Newton’s Gambit realize that there are some technical limitations to a strict policy of FA-OFF. Primarily, these limitations come from a Commander’s video card not being capable of rendering planetary landings at a smooth FPS. Our Commanders understand these limitations and support toggling FA on when facing technical issues such as low frame rates due to system limitations. These exceptions are only to be used for situations in which skill can not realistically overcome technical limitations. That said, we do not, nor are we capable of, policing our Commanders adherence to this. We believe you get what you put into the Gambit. Commanders that pledge to Newton’s Gambit are ones who want to celebrate this style of play because they view this restriction as a gift, and believe it heightens their play and enjoyment of the game.

-Joining-

Remember, you do not need to renounce your previous Wing/Group in order to join. We are a group that exists underneath these powers. Sign up with Newton’s Gambit by contacting any of the below...
Discord: Newton's Gambit
Inara(wing): Newton's Gambit
Reddit: Newton's Gambit

Update (Last update first): Removed "awaiting approval" from PMF location as it was inserted in the game, Removed confidentiality clause, Added Discord information at the bottom, Added acceptance statement for those learning to fly FA/OFF but who are dedicated to switching to a 100% FA/OFF play-style

Last edited:
Looks like a very well though and executed introduction! May you grow well into the depths of the universe!

(also thumbs up for the cowboy bebop theme!)

Last edited:
Sounds good. I sent a friend request on Discord.

Note that there's another technical limitation regarding planetary landings in which you can lose control of your ship which is fixed by toggling FA on temporarily.

I can't promise to observe the confidentiality clause, as I'm already a member of another faction, so won't apply.

For what it's worth, I approve of the group!

Looks like a very well though and executed introduction! May you grow well into the depths of the universe!

(also thumbs up for the cowboy bebop theme!)

Thank you for the good wishes Commander!

Sounds good. I sent a friend request on Discord.

Note that there's another technical limitation regarding planetary landings in which you can lose control of your ship which is fixed by toggling FA on temporarily.

Newton's Gambit Commanders++ I'm glad that you saw this and contacted me furrycat!

I can't promise to observe the confidentiality clause, as I'm already a member of another faction, so won't apply.

I'm hoping that the group can eventually have people in many factions (as well as people in other wings). But I definitely understand what you are saying from an RP perspective. It is important that members of the group can trust each other first with information on location, intent, etc. The group is not pledged to a Superpower, Powerplay Leader, or even a Local Faction (although we have one on paper for logistics and support). But the group IS pledged to its Commanders. It is with that intent and spirit that I hope we can make something new.

Even if not a member, there is the possibility that (much later) we will host an FA-OFF expo of sorts. If that happens, Newton's Gambit will only be sponsoring it but not exclusively flying in it. As such, we would welcome ALL FA-OFF pilots to participate in order to show their love for our shared love of this style of flight.

Thank you for your response and honesty the100thmonkey. Hopefully we will get to fly with you in the future for an event. Fly safe and well Commander.

I've been using fa off quite a bit, it adds some excitement to the most basic of manouvers. Makes it feel more space-like somehow. So i like the sound of this 'society of fa off crazies' idea. [yesnod]

Last edited:
I've been using fa off quite a bit, it adds some excitement to the most basic of manouvers. Makes it feel more space-like somehow. So i like the sound of this 'society of fa off crazies' idea. [yesnod]

Now I wish I could go back in time and rename it to FA OFF Crazies <3

My brain tells me it's probably going to be vapourware; my heart yearns for this game. It should be right up our streets:

https://impellerstudios.com/

Added to my watch list! Thank you!

We've updated the group to remove the confidentiality clause, add a section for members who are currently training to become full FA/OFF pilots, and added the Discord Server information.

Is NG open to xbox players?

It is very much open to all platforms for anyone who pilots without the use of FA or who has the goal to do so. Currently we only have PC players but since the group is more about a mega concept, any platform is ok.

Last edited:
BTW, a black market is never a good thing for a ruling faction - goods traded on the market undermine the controlling faciton of the station and add to civil unrest.

My FA-off skills are awful but I find it so much fun that I'm planning on staying with it so I'll click on the discord (when I actually figure out what discord is etc)

FA off has always been a personal goal for me with Elite, in my humble opinion it creates more content with its challenges. I have tried to use it many times but regrettably somehow always revert to FA On when situations begin to overwhelm what few grey cells are left to me :eek:. I hope that I will meet with your requirements, so I can begin to really open up an area of this game that has always appeared to be 'just over the horizon' and get to meet a new group of people who are passionate about this game.

I am an existing member of Canonn interstellar research group (FYI).

Cheers

Mate,

Those few remaining grey cells quickly take over automatically, my grey cells are becoming a myth and they have! You stop thinking about what you are doing and the cerebellum takes over.

I think it is like drinking a cup of tea, you don't consciously think about picking it up or regulating the movement to prevent spillages, you just do. After a surprisingly few sessions you stop thinking about the corrections and just do it.

Combat starts being hard but again, I think FA-Off is like getting better at something like snooker/pool. You don't think about the process of picking up the cue and holding it, but you do consider 'how' you are holding it. So in ED you don't think about flying FA Off but you do think about how you could be a more efficient pilot.

Just in case you haven't seen them, check out CMDR Hobs' tutorial vids.

[video=youtube;U6zIXu52RnA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6zIXu52RnA[/video]

[video=youtube;uqN_UuEYKWY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqN_UuEYKWY[/video]

Whenever I am around which is for a couple of hours most evenings (UK summer time), I am always happy to help! Discord link in the OT. :)

All the best!

Last edited:
Well you've got me hooked here!
I bow to the great Isinona and dreamed of flying with FA off... so I've decided I'm going to do it.
Thank you Cmdr Hobs for the proficiency videos... both I have found most inspiring.

Results so far:
A spectacular crash canyon running resulting in 21% hull... but what a blast :p
Successfully docked at an outpost from super cruise :D ... actual grin bigger than the icon!
Great fun negotiating the "tunnels" at the scientific outpost.

Things to Git Gud at:
Bring the ship to full stop... you must be joking :eek:!

Don't over compensate... I said Don't over... :eek::eek::(

Im have great interest in this and would love to learn from you guys. My group has a strict no multi-claning policy and I have to review it before I proceed. Either way, I plan to learn some things from you guys.

Top Bottom