Next generation of consoles 2019: Discussion thread.

Wired have a great article discussing with Sonys playstation System architect whats coming in the playstation 5

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

TLDR: He confirms custom chipset based off AMD 8 core Ryzen 2 CPU and NAVI GPU, Features ray tracing capability and advanced 3D hardware accelerated sound (probably AMD True audio), Super fast custom SSD solution demonstrated 19 times faster than current playstation drives (i suspect a M.2 type drive is what will be fitted)
Devkit out with developers now is a low speed version. (Hence previous leaks showing 8 core 3.2 ghz boost speed engineering sample may be a large under estimate of actual speed). Supports 8k Graphics.

Deleted member 110222

D
Wired have a great article discussing with Sonys playstation System architect whats coming in the playstation 5

TLDR: He confirms custom chipset based off AMD 8 core Ryzen 2 CPU and NAVI GPU, Features ray tracing capability and advanced 3D hardware accelerated sound (probably AMD True audio), Super fast custom SSD solution demonstrated 19 times faster than current playstation drives (i suspect a M.2 type drive is what will be fitted)
Devkit out with developers now is a low speed version. (Hence previous leaks showing 8 core 3.2 ghz boost speed engineering sample may be a large under estimate of actual speed). Supports 8k Graphics.
Very nice, thanks.

I'm currently waiting for a task to complete on my computer and am a bit bored. So I thought I'd start a thread on the topic of the next generation of consoles.

I have the same feeling when waiting for windows to boot up? Remember when you submitted a batch job . A week latter you would get a error message.

I'd take the PS5 reveal with a small, but very real, bucket of salt.
I've heard some conflicting information as well; Ryzen 2 and a variant of Ryzen 3 (dev kits are probably 2, for obvious reasons...).
Now, that 8k comment...
To start with, they didn't state it could game, just output. Gaming-wise, the very-capable-for-4k-gaming RTX2080Ti is now, and still probably will be, more expensive than a PS5, and by the time it arrives, the Navi-ish chip might be very capable of delivering native 4k (much like the Xbox One X can be with the right game), but 8k? Maybe for checkerboard scaling, menus and some video content, but gaming? I'll say "probably not", but I hope I'm wrong.

There is no harm in hoping though, I guess and I won't take away the "written for the hardware" argument someone will (quite rightly) use either. Clever coders can do wonders when the hardware is built for purpose and not a variant of a variant of a variant of a.... ;)

Super fast custom SSD solution demonstrated 19 times faster than current playstation drives (i suspect a M.2 type drive is what will be fitted)
Compared to the current drives they use, "19 times faster" still isn't amazing.

I hope they don't go full retApple with NUSPI storage, but "custom SSD solution" sounds really bad, a lot like they will have very much overpriced "modules" to sell to people who want to upgrade their units. We have m.2, XQD, and CFast for storage solutions far exceeding the requirements of a home entertainment console, "custom" has no place in this world any more.

8-cores means that will be the standard in the foreseeable future for gaming - good news for my 7700k with 8-threads. :)

Here is hope that RDR2 will eventually arrive to PC in an upgraded shape (hopefully not as an Epic store exclusive), otherwise I would probably buy a second hand console only to play it. :)
It looks absolutely stunning on an Xbox already...high end PC quality graphics if I'm honest. I can't see it going anywhere near Epic either since Rockstar tend to do their own thing. I can't see them being swayed by Epic and their game poaching antics.

A couple of RDR2 screenies direct from my Xbox One X at 1080p...with my horse, an Andalusian I named Zeus. I roped and broke that horse myself in game...you get quite attached to your particular horse :)

wFDQNnz.png

SLs4sAT.png

5Qo8Hec.png

Last edited:
8-cores means that will be the standard in the foreseeable future for gaming - good news for my 7700k with 8-threads. :)

The 8 core chip will have 16 threads. So your 7700k might start to struggle in a couple of years time.
Once games optimised for 16 thread gaming on playstation and xbox start to launch

The 8 core chip will have 16 threads. So your 7700k might start to struggle in a couple of years time.
Once games optimised for 16 thread gaming on playstation and xbox start to launch

I thought not every CPU can do can do multithreading...
In that case I'd probably upgrade to a good next gen CPU/mobo next year, when the 7700k still has value.

I thought not every CPU can do can do multithreading...
The only parts in AMD's current lineup that don't are the Ryzen-3 series which is meant for office workloads and they're all 4c/4t. What they end up sticking in their console parts is up for grabs though, especially with (Ry)zen 2 still being in a "soft announce" for summer, but it looks like those will be built from SMT-enabled "modules".

Compared to the current drives they use, "19 times faster" still isn't amazing.

I hope they don't go full retApple with NUSPI storage, but "custom SSD solution" sounds really bad, a lot like they will have very much overpriced "modules" to sell to people who want to upgrade their units. We have m.2, XQD, and CFast for storage solutions far exceeding the requirements of a home entertainment console, "custom" has no place in this world any more.
I think we can agree that they love to sell proprietary add-ons. I can imagine that they will either have very limited internal storage and expansion modules, or memory chips soldered on the mainboard. But don't worry if anything breaks, your savegames are in the cloud.

I believe the biggest challenge that limits console development is the instance of buyers $500 limit.399 ideally
this is unreasonable in my opinion. Looks at GPU market

console gamers
It's not just for peasants anymore..

It looks absolutely stunning on an Xbox already...high end PC quality graphics if I'm honest. I can't see it going anywhere near Epic either since Rockstar tend to do their own thing. I can't see them being swayed by Epic and their game poaching antics.

A couple of RDR2 screenies direct from my Xbox One X at 1080p...with my horse, an Andalusian I named Zeus. I roped and broke that horse myself in game...you get quite attached to your particular horse :)

wFDQNnz.png

SLs4sAT.png

5Qo8Hec.png

Considering how they have handled RDR2 online economy with micro transactions (much worse than GTA btw) I doubt they will turn down the prospect of making more money by going with epic games launcher.

Considering how they have handled RDR2 online economy with micro transactions (much worse than GTA btw) I doubt they will turn down the prospect of making more money by going with epic games launcher.

They are big enough to forego the one-time lump sum offered by Epic in order to reach the widest playerbase possible, exactly because of the microtransactions.
At least I do hope so.

They are big enough to forego the one-time lump sum offered by Epic in order to reach the widest playerbase possible, exactly because of the microtransactions.
At least I do hope so.

You would think so, but given the choices of many titles going EG exclusive post review bombs and backlash... Hard to say

I think we can agree that they love to sell proprietary add-ons.
Considering it's a console, the PS4 isn't all that bad really. It takes non-Sony peripherals if you want a keyboard and it has pretty good support for DIY internal and external storage including readily available documentation and downloads for reimaging the system. Just about the only widely used part that's "proprietary" are the controllers.

I so don't care for consoles and their shenanigans it's not even funny.

Yeah i'm 100% here. I used to like consoles (Atari VCS - SNES era mostly with a little extension to PS2 era), before they became these total rip-off-the-customer-and-destroy-gaming profit vehicles. I have no patience or interest in what they do or represent these days sadly.

I have multiple PC's that do anything a console does better, and SO MANY games that don't require i sell organs to build a good library ;)

IF i'm missing something specific i can run an emulator (the one i use most is actually an Atari800 emulator and i play the best version of the classic Alternate Reality on it from time to time). PC's are just so versatile, they have made consoles obsolete for me.

Yeah i'm 100% here. I used to like consoles (Atari VCS - SNES era mostly with a little extension to PS2 era), before they became these total rip-off-the-customer-and-destroy-gaming profit vehicles. I have no patience or interest in what they do or represent these days sadly.

I have multiple PC's that do anything a console does better, and SO MANY games that don't require i sell organs to build a good library ;)

IF i'm missing something specific i can run an emulator (the one i use most is actually an Atari800 emulator and i play the best version of the classic Alternate Reality on it from time to time). PC's are just so versatile, they have made consoles obsolete for me.
...But some of us hold no such prejudices and own one or both current flavours of console offerings from Sony and Microsoft as well as having very nice PC's... ;)

They do what they say on the tin.

Top Bottom