No day and night cycles? Whaaaaat?

Apparently, the islands will have a perpetual night, dusk, or dawn setting. Which...I have no idea why they chose that system...

That is by far an away my least favourite design choice.

It just doesn't make sense why they chose it! Just make them geographically different. Obviously they have to be somewhat similar and we shouldn't expect one island to be a desert, the other an arctic island etc; but just look at the different vegetation shown in JP (tropical), TLW (an eclectic mix of tropical and North American) and JP3 (primeval forest). That's just in two islands!

We don't need the islands to be in different day times to differentiate them!

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

It just doesn't make sense why they chose it! Just make them geographically different. Obviously they have to be somewhat similar and we shouldn't expect one island to be a desert, the other an arctic island etc; but just look at the different vegetation shown in JP (tropical), TLW (an eclectic mix of tropical and North American) and JP3 (primeval forest). That's just in two islands!

Yeh that's a very weird design choice.

I have a suggestion that everyone send a message to frontier to tell them (We don't need the islands to be in different day times in Jurassic world evolution) and This game absolutely needs a day night cycle (make it an option like Cities Skylines , if any one want enable day night cycles or disable it) give the players Ability to select
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/sendmessage.php

Last edited:
Apparently, the islands will have a perpetual night, dusk, or dawn setting. Which...I have no idea why they chose that system...

They said to make the islands look different. That is what was said in TheGamingBeavers video I believe. This was said by a FD member. Yeah it's not great. I would prefer a day and night cycle.

I have a suggestion that everyone send a message to frontier to tell them (We don't need the islands to be in different day times in Jurassic world evolution) and This game absolutely needs a day night cycle (make it an option like Cities Skylines , if any one want enable day night cycles or disable it) give the players Ability to select
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/sendmessage.php

It's an option in Planet Coaster. You can choose to use the day and night cycle or set the time/lighting from all 24 hours of the day. Morning, noon or night. Even if it's 2:00 PM you can make it look like its 10:00 at night.

I wished they would have found a bit more creative way to differentiate the islands. I think the size and weather is enough. They said each island will have different weather, which is fine. But restricting us to day or night is a poor idea. Now if it's just in the island progression like campaign and we have a sandbox/free play mode where we have a day and night cycle and can even control it like in Planet Coaster then that would be great.

Here's an image for those who aren't fond of the day/night cycle...

... It's dark.

... It's raining.

... Thunder.

... Lightning.

... You're focused on the far side of your park; getting that lovely Triceratops enclosure built.

... A message flashes at the top of the screen: "We have an asset out of containment!"

... You check which one it is..

... Oh, Sagax Monstrum Rex.

... It's your hybrid. Your very own, gene-spliced hybrid... she's a monster.. a veritable indominus ... larger, faster, smarter than the rex than came before her..

... And your park is full of people ...

Time to grab a rifle and some night vision goggles and go hunt her down.

Yeah well I want my Dinosaurs to be able to frolic in the moon light.

It's hard to think after coming from Planet Coaster where we have day and night cycles and control over the lighting where we can make it look like day or night to this game that has no day or nights cycles. Maybe they can make it an option. The best thing about these games is the freedom the offer over other games that lack it.

It makes more sense to the source material to have day/night cycle in evolution than it does in planet coatser. Such a bad decision to exclude it.

I can't see true reason for day/night cycle...What will be cool in night mode? That there is low amount of guests in the park (most of them are in hotel)? That you will only wait for fence breaking? So you will watch your dinosaurs for whole night, right? I know that problems with park such as I-rex which just run out, is hiding in bushes, eating your guests and killing your security stuff could be awesome in moonlight, it makes game more scary etc. but to be honest...Most of your time you will spend on building, creating dinosaurs and caring about your guests. You want to admire this in sunset I belive. It shouldn't be like everyone of us will only count down to evening, because then it changes to survival mode...I hope you know what I mean.

Last edited:
I can't see true reason for day/night cycle...What will be cool in night mode? That there is low amount of guests in the park (most of them are in hotel)? That you will only wait for fence breaking? So you will watch your dinosaurs for whole night, right? I know that problems with park such as I-rex which just run out, is hiding in bushes, eating your guests and killing your security stuff could be awesome in moonlight, it makes game more scary etc. but to be honest...Most of your time you will spend on building, creating dinosaurs and caring about your guests. You want to admire this in sunset I belive. It shouldn't be like everyone of us will only count down to evening, because then it changes to survival mode...I hope you know what I mean.

In most city builders you can instantly change the time of day. Some people like viewing their creations at different times of day. It adds variety. If an Island is locked to a single time of day, it'll feel the same all the time. I can't think of a valid reason to exclude it.

The point of a day/night cycle is that there is variation in light conditions on every island instead of perpetual night, dusk, dawn.

Seems a bit too wrong to be true to me. I want to see this for myself first before I make any judgments on this.

I doubt the day/night cycle will be removed because in a recent Eurogamer interview with Jurassic World Evolution's lead writer, each of the islands take place in a different part of the Jurassic Park universe's timeline.

e.g. The park on Isla Matanceros takes place a few years after the Indominus Incident, the events that occur on this island is the successful relaunch of Jurassic World as a viable business that is safe and enjoyable for visitors.

I believe that this is an aesthetic choice in order to give all of the islands their own personality outside of being big/small, Isla Matanceros being the relatively compact but pleasant island that has little to no stormy weather and is an ideal location for a dinosaur theme park. Whereas Isla Pena is under perpetual darkness with tropical storms and tornadoes guaranteed where, if your not careful, power failures, dinosaur breakouts and visitor fatalities will be the norm (and good luck trying to find and capture an escaped Tyrannosaurus or pack of Velociraptors on this island!).

I doubt the day/night cycle will be removed because in a recent Eurogamer interview with Jurassic World Evolution's lead writer, each of the islands take place in a different part of the Jurassic Park universe's timeline.

e.g. The park on Isla Matanceros takes place a few years after the Indominus Incident, the events that occur on this island is the successful relaunch of Jurassic World as a viable business that is safe and enjoyable for visitors.

I believe that this is an aesthetic choice in order to give all of the islands their own personality outside of being big/small, Isla Matanceros being the relatively compact but pleasant island that has little to no stormy weather and is an ideal location for a dinosaur theme park. Whereas Isla Pena is under perpetual darkness with tropical storms and tornadoes guaranteed where, if your not careful, power failures, dinosaur breakouts and visitor fatalities will be the norm (and good luck trying to find and capture an escaped Tyrannosaurus or pack of Velociraptors on this island!).

well unless they do something to the park map during certain scenarios then it's pretty to find all of your dinosaurs no matter where they are in the park - regardless of whether it's night, day or raining lavaballs

I'm kind of leaning towards there being no day/night cycle because of story elements. I can't see how Frontier designers could look at this and realistically come to the conclusion that the best way to add variety is to fix the time of day. Sure, there's not a great deal of variety in islands within the same archipelago normally, but islands are different sizes, shapes, have different topography, maybe different plant life. There are plenty of things you can do to the island design to make them somewhat different, and that's before you make them different by putting different story objectives to each island

I believe one of the main reasons for this might be the pace of time ingame.

Remember in JPOG were ingame months were a few minutes? I think the same is going on in JWE, having day and night cycles while days only last a few seconds doesn't fit imo.

I believe one of the main reasons for this might be the pace of time ingame.

Remember in JPOG were ingame months were a few minutes? I think the same is going on in JWE, having day and night cycles while days only last a few seconds doesn't fit imo.

How it works in RCT3 and Planet coaster is that days are in the seconds but the day night cycle shown in game is far longer, about a month if I recall. Seems to be the best method of tackling it.

How it works in RCT3 and Planet coaster is that days are in the seconds but the day night cycle shown in game is far longer, about a month if I recall. Seems to be the best method of tackling it.

I don't think that makes much sense but whatever... if the demand is high enough the devs might still implement it via DLC, should be easy for them since it uses the same engine as PC.

Top Bottom