No longer loading

Hi all,

I have reached out to Frontier but still trying to work through Email but its a slow process.
My Planet Coaster no longer loads from Steam. It worked on Thursday and Friday morning nothing.
I have all drivers up to date, Windows up to date, uninstalled and reinstalled twice, checked game library files (all fine)

It goes to load but then does nothing.
Any advice or similar problems?
Regards

I am able to load the game, however, I can't save any blueprints from the workshop. I have started and restarted the game, but nothing I have subscribed to in the last week comes up.

Bench finally did open, but it was stuck on the Conra screen for ages, something that hasn't occured for a long time. The slow loading of the actual park file is just something I've had to learn to live with. I haven't checked to see if blueprints are working yet.

Have you managed to get yours to open yet Wagi? I just get the preparing to launch window and then nothing.

Yes I did. It took almost 15 minutes stuck on the Cobra screen, but didn't crash.

Then I was opening a park someone shared with me so had to wait another 15 minutes for the TMTK stuff it said I didn't have to download! But I went and had lunch while waiting, so all wasn't lost...

Not sure what's causing this, it's a recent development, at least for me anyways. Hope you get it working Daniel!

Yeah it's recent, there was a game update on around the 5th, i forgot the exact date.
Since then loading takes even longer, the frame rate has dropped significantly and there were changes to the multiscreen "ability" (before you could just hover the mouse over to your secondary display and multitasking was easier to do)

It has nothing to do with TMTK or Blueprints, they simply screwed up the update. (which is incredible, after 4 years of the game being out there)
I assume the console guys had a go at the PC branch code... but let's not delve into that further.

@Daniel1431 If it crashes before loading finishes there are two causes that i can locate so far, one is the available RAM, the other is the size and availability of virtualRam.
If either of them is too low, it will just exit out of the game.Try to make some space on your HDD and raise the virtual ram and then try to load it again.
(If you don't know how to do that, here's a quick guide on the topic https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-virtual-memory-size-windows-10 )

Let us know if this works.

cheers,
Arti

Hi Arti,

The game does not get going anymore. It has worked a dream since owning this pc but now it doesnt load. I can give that ago and see if I have any joys with it. Thanks

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Frontier
Yeah it's recent, there was a game update on around the 5th, i forgot the exact date.
Since then loading takes even longer, the frame rate has dropped significantly and there were changes to the multiscreen "ability" (before you could just hover the mouse over to your secondary display and multitasking was easier to do)

It has nothing to do with TMTK or Blueprints, they simply screwed up the update. (which is incredible, after 4 years of the game being out there)
I assume the console guys had a go at the PC branch code... but let's not delve into that further.

Hi ArtiX.
I've spoken with our developers and can confirm that we haven't released any game updates recently. The last update was in November. Have you installed anything recently that could be causing issues such as new graphics drivers or a Steam update?

Hi ArtiX.
I've spoken with our developers and can confirm that we haven't released any game updates recently. The last update was in November. Have you installed anything recently that could be causing issues such as new graphics drivers or a Steam update?

Hi Paul, thank you for responding.

No drivers, no config modifications and no malware intrusions as far as i can see.

Let's try to shed some light on this, i keep noticing people who run into trouble with the game since around February/March,
i didn't notice any changes or performance issues, except for an LOD distance adjustment that seems to have been introduced in the update you mentioned, until last week.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/493340/announcements/detail/1691594657432470324 - November update

I cross-checked the steamDB for hints on what might be happening:
Here's when i noticed the change on my end - https://steamdb.info/app/493340/history/?changeid=8375405

So i closely inspected all local files and did a bit of research, what i found, and you are correct about the PlanCo update, BuildID is 4424115.
However, there's been an update to PlanetZoo on the 7th, this coincides with the date i noticed changes to how PlanCo behaves.
The other reason MIGHT be a drain on my virtual ram, which i suspect is the cause for others' game instances to crash upon loading, as well.

I looked into Windows updates also, last branch update for all win10 versions was 21st April 2020. https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/release-information/

But there has to be a reason why PlanCo behaves weirdly for many of us.
There are multiple threads (and on discord, Issue Tracker, etc.) with players complaining about crashes, lag and other weird behaviour of the game.

I take back my initial statement of blaming it all on PlanCo's development process.

But recent problems certainly don't come out of thin air. Is there a POSSIBILITY the PlanZoo updates might affect the PlanCo code in some way?
Could the Win10 update https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/release-information/ be a factor?
Might there be a compliance error with the NVidia drivers?

GeForce Game Ready Driver
WHQL
445.87April 15, 2020
plus.gif
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL442.74March 19, 2020
plus.gif
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL442.59March 10, 2020
plus.gif
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL442.50February 27, 2020
plus.gif
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL442.19February 3, 2020
plus.gif
NVIDIA Studio Driver SD442.19February 3, 2020
plus.gif
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL441.87January 6, 2020
plus.gif
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL441.66December 10, 2019
plus.gif
NVIDIA Studio Driver SD441.66December 10, 2019
plus.gif
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL441.41November 26, 2019
plus.gif
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL441.20November 22, 2019
plus.gif
NVIDIA Studio Driver SD441.28November 18, 2019
plus.gif
GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL441.12November 4, 2019

Problems i noticed are:
pre-may-7th:
-extreme lag during periodic autosave
-built items go missing on very few instances, was not able to reproduce or identify the cause further
-LOD draw distances appear nerfed, especially or exclusively for TMTK assets (not logged in update history notes)
(update/changelog appears incomplete and inconsistent with actual changes introduced)
-crashes on loading when virtual ram is drained/reserved by other programs, no error message, but debugging dialogue appears upon restart
-ZDepth flicker on lit objects and particles on few occasions

post-may-7th:
-Frame rate (same parks, same environments) drops significantly to under 30fps, no difference whether paused or unpaused
-increased loading times
-short lag during periodic autosave (not as bad as above)
-LOD draw distances appear nerfed, especially or exclusively for TMTK assets
-crashes on loading when virtual ram is drained/reserved by other programs, no error message, but debugging dialogue appears upon restart
-ZDepth flicker on lit objects and particles on few occasions

So, either i haven't experienced the issues stated by other players before,
who appear to have trouble since early this year (might have been introduced with above-mentioned november update)
or there is some conflict with third-party software that causes these issues.

Hope this helps somehow, sorry if i pointed fingers too quickly, from my perspective it's really annoying when you build something particular for many months and
just want to enjoy the progress, then see it go broken in the process. And always hearing about how to use the Issue Tracker while it doesn't work for some of us
(i won't mention names here but i personally know of a handful of other PlanCo players who have the same issue with not being able to log in there)
adds to the frustration of finding a solution.

PS: the recent framerate drop is almost independent of where the camera is pointed, so i would assume it's nothing to do with the rendering.

cheers and take care,
Arti

Edit: I would like to point out, my critique on communication and devoted ressources in the wrong places (other thread) shall remain,
it often is a hotly discussed issue among us players, and i merely stated the obvious, whilst not representing anyone but myself,
but based my own subjective opinion on it,
resulting from communication with other members of the community. (open critique)

Last edited:
Follow-up posting:

I've been looking a little more into what caused these issues on my end and i think i found the root of the cause.

I mentioned in earlier posts how, if PlanCo crashes upon loading a park,
or even crashes in the startup screen it might be due to the VRam size being set too low or the VRam being reserved by other data.

I mentioned, i recently encountered the following:
-frame rate drop
-switching between monitors stopped working (only, if game window is closed with windows key)
(move the mouse from the monitor running PlanCo over to a secondary monitor, i.e. to use the browser simultaneously)
-items/buildings vanish
-autosave is laggy and takes a long time to finish

First I went to check whether there might be shared .DLLs or .REGs,
or other configuration files that may be shared between PlanZoo and PlanCo,
though couldn't find anything obvious.
(i suspected so, because on the same day i experienced those issues an update was rolled out for PlanZoo)
It remains true there was a link between the update and the issues, but i will adress this below.

I fiddled a little with different VRam loads, sizes and hdd space (reason: limits the VRam size below settings/designated space)

On the day this happened my hard drives were running full, partly due to reserved VRam,
partly because of game updates in the queue (Steam reserves space for queued updates)
and cause i didn't purge my media files onto a secondary drive in a longer while.

My base RAM is 16GB
VRam is usually set to above 30GB

Issue 1/2: frame-rate drop / monitor switching(task switching via mouse-over on sec. monitor)
Combined issue
What happened here was, due to the little space available in the VRam, the graphics settings changed to 1920x1080 @30fps
I immediately noticed the 1080p (i usually run PlanCo on 4k res a 4k monitor),
but failed to see the frame rate was reset to 30fps in the settings.
I will assume the game does this when it can't run the game in the usual settings.
solution: after resetting it to 60fps, everything works like it did before, window-hopping works as per usual again.

-items/buildings vanish
i was eventually able to reproduce the issue.
It happens (only in few cases) when VRam is set higher than the actual available space and
only happens in a setup scenario where HDD space is running low
whilst VRam gives a wrong handshake (false information reported to the engine)
In this scenario I would assume the engine thinks it can hand off the data into
VRam but VRam can't store the data and discards it instead.

-autosave lag
and again, it looks like (aside from HDD speed) this is linked to VRam size and availability

Here's what i think, the game relies heavily on RAM to store the assets. And separately their inworld position, if spawned.

Whenever people experience extreme lag, or even crashes it's linked to the VRam. Either the HDD is too slow to handle all the
communication as quickly as needed, or the data priority in the VRam (the process of deleting temp data vs writing new data)
lags behind. In cases where VRam is too low, the game will simply crash upon loading into the desired park/scenario/sandbox savegame,
because it can't load all necessary assets to properly display the saved content.

Possible solution:

There probably isn't a solution to circumvent this other than to reserve enough VRam, HDD space (and)/or upgrade RAM to at least 32gb.
On the issue of the alleged communication fault between engine and VRam,
this might be fixable via an additional communication step between them.

Technically, on the user side this isse can be circumvented via the scenario editor and by filtering out unnecessary items
from the content list (best if done with a new park/sandbox project)

Hope this clears up some confusion on what i wrote earlier and on the loading issue that other users experience,
especially on lower-end hardware.
-----
@Paul_Crowther @AndyC1

This explanation makes a lot of sense why I'm suddenly having a lot of trouble running the game. My available HD space is low and I've been having very frequent and quick crashes of the game for the last few weeks.

Top Bottom