No new lore in Elite Dangerous Odyssey?

I don't think they will add odyssey-specific lore before console player can play odyssey, it would be unfair to them since they couldn't play it
This, I think. Other than perhaps Galnet stories I don’t expect much new until the console versions launch (and Odyssey is stable).

See? They seem to really struggle to even get engaging dialogue - let alone missions! - together so how on Earth (or any planet, really) would you asume you'd get more from the lore or content side? "Lore" would actually mean worldbuilding on a scale I doubt Frontier would have the resources right now and quite frankly I would also be a bit afraid to hear that Frontier would now handle the "grand design". It's not really their core competency and they have outsourced worldbuilding for years.

Much like George Lucas should never have written the dialogues for some of the botched characters in Star Wars sequels.

"I do genuinely find it amusing, I have a great time streaming it and generally mucking about... but in a rather childish point-at-the-funny-daft-thing sort of a way"
Apologies for taking this slightly out of context but I do agree about the nebulous fun to be had, at the expense of the "game".

On a serious note. It's been just over a week and I think all this will be rectified, if not by the player community (lore-wise), then by the creative team being "gently" nudged in the right direction by well meaning campaigners. I have great faith in this and I am definitely NOT a Frontier acolyte - although from recent posts you might be forgiven for thinking so.

Yeh, I did decide to miss out the bit I was going to say, that apparently we all used to be a Special Ops agent before "blazing our own trail" 😂
Yeah, and only get allowed to be called Commander by murdering a bunch of people, nothing to do with flying a ship at all.

It feels like anyone who knew anything about the game (let alone its predecessors), whether lore/narrative or mechanics/workings of code, have long moved on, for whatever reason, and the current crew just don't seem to get it at all. Doesn't everyone just want to randomly shoot things on foot for no reason whatsoever, and get Elite Plus for doing it? Very sad.

Edit: where do we start a petition to bring back Michael Brookes?? Not even sure he could fix this hot mess. Or would want to try at this point.

Last edited:
Yeah, and only get allowed to be called Commander by murdering a bunch of people, nothing to do with flying a ship at all.

It feels like anyone who knew anything about the game (let alone its predecessors), whether lore/narrative or mechanics/workings of code, have long moved on, for whatever reason, and the current crew just don't seem to get it at all. Doesn't everyone just want to randomly shoot things on foot for no reason whatsoever, and get Elite Plus for doing it? Very sad.

Edit: where do we start a petition to bring back Michael Brookes?? Not even sure he could fix this hot mess.
Well, last night I kicked out some naughty Scavengers that had taken over a settlement belonging to the PMF I'm in. So, that wasn't particularly random.

My expectations on this particular topic weren't high and, as far as I've been able to tell from the time I've managed to play in game, very little of the in-game background lore of the universe has been updated/enhanced.
You were utterly wasted by Frontier, - from the perspective of having someone well-versed in lore and history, I find it incomprehensible that their response to you (beyond initial forays around the time of the book) was that of indifference..

Great input Drew; I hope FDev pay heed to one of the elders of the game.

What's frustrating isnt just the lack of any lore to expand the game but the absolute omission of any lore to support Odyssey.
-who are the suit/weapons manufacturers? What's their history? Why do they focus on particular technologies? Are they aligned to particular powers? What's their brand aims: cheaper / more reliability / higher performance? As it is they are just labels stuck on the shooty things.
-new engineers: back stories? How do they fit in with the existing lore/history/universe?
-new materials: fancy names for things, looks like there's some interesting ideas there which could lead into more lore about the state of technology and 'engineering' in general but, as with the suits & weapons, these are just pretty grindables.
-Apex interstellar: are taxi's being flown by our fellow cmdrs? Are they part of the Pilot's Federation? Why can't we interact with them? Why can't we be one?!
-new lifeforms: this is the biggest disappointment. There's no additional information available, no lore/rational behind them. These just appear to be a number of new game assets with different colour codes?

What about an explanation for
-high gravity: why arent I mush? Why can I even lift a weapon?
-zero gravity: magnetic pizza boxes?
-pizza boxes: left behind by over-worked devs?

FDev seem determined to maintain an impregnable wall between players and creators, to the detriment of everyone. There's a wealth of creativity and engagement in the community which, if FDev could find a way to curate, would add variety and colour to the game, would increase community engagement and, ultimately, would increase Frontier's value.

Personally, I feel like the not-taken-into-account gameplay killed the lore out of the starting blocks. When one can build a ship to reach the galactic core in an hour, the 3-way fights for resources in the bubble seem ludicrous. So does the random colonisation in one area of the galaxy which... contains the exact same resources as anywhere else. But nowhere else gets colonised for some reason. And Sothis is still under construction (or maybe it's complete now, I haven't been there in a long long time).

The lore is tied to the tech level in the old games. But the FSD should have completely changed things, flipped human civilisation on its head. Instead, it hasn't, and there's a forced push to have Alliance/Federation/Empire somehow plot against each other instead of racing outwards towards infinite resources. Same goes for independents. Where are the communities flying out to colonise empty systems and claim their own system? The FSD should have resulted in a diaspora like never seen before in every direction, not in a deus ex machina space motorway between Sol and Colonia. Even more so with an alien threat roaming around.

This is imho further exacerbated by the introduction of PowerPlay and the focus of story/news on a handful of caricatures of 21st century politics. Yes, this is a cool throwback to FFE's newspaper, and I won't lie, they were fantastic at the time, bringing a lot of life into an otherwise static game. But in ED, it just amplifies the game/story discrepancy and makes it feel like someone played a bad joke by editing my twitter feed. The lore drama seems desperately inconsistent with the social changes you'd expect from the tech level.

Personally, I feel like the not-taken-into-account gameplay killed the lore out of the starting blocks. When one can build a ship to reach the galactic core in an hour, the 3-way fights for resources in the bubble seem ludicrous. So does the random colonisation in one area of the galaxy which... contains the exact same resources as anywhere else. But nowhere else gets colonised for some reason. And Sothis is still under construction (or maybe it's complete now, I haven't been there in a long long time).

The lore is tied to the tech level in the old games. But the FSD should have completely changed things, flipped human civilisation on its head. Instead, it hasn't, and there's a forced push to have Alliance/Federation/Empire somehow plot against each other instead of racing outwards towards infinite resources. Same goes for independents. Where are the communities flying out to colonise empty systems and claim their own system? The FSD should have resulted in a diaspora like never seen before in every direction, not in a deus ex machina space motorway between Sol and Colonia. Even more so with an alien threat.

This is imho further exacerbated by the introduction of PowerPlay and the focus of story/news on a handful of caricatures of 21st century politics. Yes, this is a cool throwback to FFE's newspaper, and I won't lie, they were fantastic at the time, bringing a lot of life into an otherwise static game. But in ED, it just amplifies the game/story discrepancy and makes it feel like someone played a bad joke by editing my twitter feed. The lore drama seems desperately inconsistent with the social changes you'd expect from the tech level.
Especially with the FCs added which flood the galaxy atm, the bubble and colonized space would have expanded rapidly one might think.

Top Bottom