No plans to move.

Todays announcement just confirmed community goals and galnet are 4.00 (live build) only.from update 14 they will not be available to consoles..
The compliance with 3.8 for these features is now over...
As CGs are over this is how 3.8 will stay... this is all consoles will have...
Even paint job DLC for ships may not release to 3.8 consoles..

Todays announcement just confirmed community goals and galnet are 4.00 (live build) only.from update 14 they will not be available to consoles..
Yeah yeah, rub it in.

Personally I think Frontier should give a dedicated 3.8 fan access to the 3.8 CG and Galnet API so I (I mean, whoever) can continue to provide interesting CGs and Galnet stories going in 3.8, even if it is silly stuff disconnected from the "live" universe.

Yeah yeah, rub it in.

Personally I think Frontier should give a dedicated 3.8 fan access to the 3.8 CG and Galnet API so I (I mean, whoever) can continue to provide interesting CGs and Galnet stories going in 3.8, even if it is silly stuff disconnected from the "live" universe.
Good job they announced this the same exact time Geforce now has a sale at the same time for black friday lol Luck or planning. luck from Fdev...

Good job they announced this the same exact time Geforce now has a sale at the same time for black friday lol Luck or planning. luck from Fdev...
I'm glad they did, as it saved me some money. I was eyeballing some cosmetics for my 3.8 ships - not anymore.

And here's the irony - I bet Frontier thinks this will force players like me over to Odyssey. Well, I was actually considering buying Odyssey this time around, now that it's under $20. I figured it would be worth it just to experience the on-foot thing, knowing that I'd likely go back to Horizons 3.8 for the majority of my spaceship and VR gameplay. But now that the two are truly separate games with two separate saves (achievement in one does not carry over to the other), that's no longer an option. Frontier is basically forcing us to "pick a side" and stick with it.

While they may not have killed 3.8, they basically shot it in both kneecaps with this "legacy" announcement.

I bet Frontier thinks this will force players like me over to Odyssey. ...snip... Frontier is basically forcing us to "pick a side" and stick with it.
...snip...
While they may not have killed 3.8, they basically shot it in both kneecaps with this "legacy" announcement.
Agreed.

I think I will go exploring in EDH 3.8 plenty of places I have not visited and been to see. Not much progress to gain or lose via Exploration in EDH

I already downloaded the 4.0 client, and have tried it many times, but I always go back to EDH 3.8, to me it is just better.

I think I will go exploring in EDH 3.8 plenty of places I have not visited and been to see. Not much progress to gain or lose via Exploration in EDH
One of the sad things about this announcement is that while console and PC were always separated when it came to instancing together, we all shared the same galaxy. As a PC explorer, I can go and visit planets I discovered back when I was a PS4 explorer, and my PS4 CMDR name is listed. But for now on, whatever I discover in 3.8 will only be discovered in 3.8. If I someday upgrade to Odyssey (like I once upgraded from PS4 to PC), all my progress going forward will be lost, like tears in the rain.

It kinda makes me feel like, "What's the point, then?"

Even paint job DLC for ships may not release to 3.8 consoles..
Well crap!

If that isn't the final nail in the console and non 4.0 PC version of the game!!!

That's terrible and crazy, CGs are one of the most fun and engaging things in the game and they just cut out 50% or more of their playerbase!!

Hopefully when enough people complain and CG involvement drops through the floor, they change their minds!

In the name of all that is "holy", will Frontier PLEASE at least release "next gen" versions of the game on PS5 and Xbox Series X, so those of us that don't play on PC can properly play the game again!

I wasn't too bother not getting Odyssey on consoles, but now we're losing CGs too, I've very little reason to keep playing the game!
😯😐🩲

Last edited:
Everyone should do the copy process now, cause later on it will not be the same.
Quite unfortunate they said they have no plans to stop the transfers and no deadline in sight, only to announce with one week prior notifications that transfers will stop and when they will resume, next year, they will not be as comprehensive as they are now

CONSOLE PROFILE COPYING PROCESS​

Via our website, console players have the option to clone their Commander profiles for use on PC without needing to re-purchase the game. The introduction of Legacy Mode is going to affect what data can be copied. For this reason, the process will be temporarily suspended with the release of Update 14. To ensure that everyone has the opportunity to use the process, it will be reintroduced in Q1 next year.

The version of the process that we reintroduce will not be as comprehensive as before and will only copy the most essential profile data related to player progression. For this reason, we strongly encourage anyone considering copying their profile to do so before Update 14.

Everyone should do the copy process now, cause later on it will not be the same.
Quite unfortunate they said they have no plans to stop the transfers and no deadline in sight, only to announce with one week prior notifications that transfers will stop and when they will resume, next year, they will not be as comprehensive as they are now
Not every can or wants to play on PC!

While SURELY it isn't that hard for Frontier to release a "next gen" version of the game on PS5 and Series X, even if they're intent on killing off the PS4, Xbox One and PC 3.8 versions of the game, but no they're just saying, "sod you all and like it or lump it!" 😯😐😡

While SURELY it isn't that hard for Frontier to release a "next gen" version of the game on PS5 and Series X, even if they're intent on killing off the PS4, Xbox One and PC 3.8 versions of the game, but no they're just saying, "sod you all and like it or lump it!" 😯😐😡
But don't forget to buy their console versions of other games.

I think the main issue is if they released a Series X version of the game the forum would get spammed by the "It doesnt run on my Xbox 1 threads", im guessing this would also be the same for PS5.

By making them cross compatible it open up the problem, that and the fact that the Odyssey code base is notoriously finicky even on PC. Can you imagine what Microsoft and Sony would do to fdev if they released it as is on consoles.

By making them cross compatible it open up the problem, that and the fact that the Odyssey code base is notoriously finicky even on PC. Can you imagine what Microsoft and Sony would do to fdev if they released it as is on consoles.
Would they expect Frontier to release a product that is polished to an appropriate level?

I can see that would be terrible.

Would they expect Frontier to release a product that is polished to an appropriate level?

I can see that would be terrible.
Exactly the point look at the Cyberpunk 2077 debacle.

Apparently PC users are more prone to blaming the PC or windows than the product until the product fails on everyones machines then its a failure.

I think the main issue is if they released a Series X version of the game the forum would get spammed by the "It doesnt run on my Xbox 1 threads", im guessing this would also be the same for PS5.

I think most people would understand and be happy to get a new improved and still developed for version of the game on "next gen", even IF "last gen" has to be left behind.

There are already improved versions of games with exclusive features over "last gen" for cross generational versions of other games and no-one else is really surprised or complaining.

It should be the same for Elite - add ANYTHING they can to the "last gen" versions and start releasing the game in full again on "next gen" consoles! 😯😀🤘

Whilst I agree with you to an extent (that it would be desireable) Tanner1ie and also Drinkybird`s views in other threads, I tried both EDH3.8 and EDH4 at half time of Portugal v Ghana (as I am off work for a few days) - Nothing gonna happen on ED, ever, for consoles again, even Next Gen.

After this quick test, OMG, how can people say EDH4 graphically is fine?
EDH3.8 is fine (smooth and great immersive spaceships) and has a good skybox, planets, UI etc. but EDH4? it is awful graphically - blocky and crass 1990's VGA type - I am on 1Gb/s internet and Ultra Graphics options (managed by NVidia apparently in Sheild TV). GeForce Now is apparently 2070(?) standard, as I pay for it, not free.
<Hoping not to have to use solely EDH4 from 29th Nov (yeuch)>

I do admit on foot EDO gameplay (never tried as yet and don't think I ever will) in streaming videos online looks like good graphics (Burr, Frameshiftlive, DTEA, etc,), but using EDH4 in space/planets logging out and in to EDH3.8 immediately, the difference is astoundingly poorer in EDH4.

Plus, how do you enjoy 2 little hands moving up and down whilst running? no-one runs like that!

Last edited:
I do admit on foot EDO gameplay (never tried as yet and don't think I ever will) in streaming videos online looks like good graphics (Burr, Frameshiftlive, DTEA, etc,)
I dunno. Shadows in ED4 are absolute rubbish - flickering, floating blobs that make most of my PS3 games look good. Same goes with terrain morphing and object pop-in. And yes, I watch all the "I love Elite Dangerous" content creators with top-of-the-line hardware when forming my opinions regarding these things.

The still shots, taken at the right angles at the right time of day, look amazing. EDO is the definitive version of Elite for planet-side photography, I'll give you that. But in motion, it's a mess.

Whilst I agree with you to an extent (that it would be desireable) Tanner1ie and also Drinkybird`s views in other threads, I tried both EDH3.8 and EDH4 at half time of Portugal v Ghana (as I am off work for a few days) - Nothing gonna happen on ED, ever, for consoles again, even Next Gen.

After this quick test, OMG, how can people say EDH4 graphically is fine?
EDH3.8 is fine (smooth and great immersive spaceships) and has a good skybox, planets, UI etc. but EDH4? it is awful graphically - blocky and crass 1990's VGA type - I am on 1Gb/s internet and Ultra Graphics options (managed by NVidia apparently in Sheild TV). GeForce Now is apparently 2070(?) standard, as I pay for it, not free.
<Hoping not to have to use solely EDH4 from 29th Nov (yeuch)>

I do admit on foot EDO gameplay (never tried as yet and don't think I ever will) in streaming videos online looks like good graphics (Burr, Frameshiftlive, DTEA, etc,), but using EDH4 in space/planets logging out and in to EDH3.8 immediately, the difference is astoundingly poorer in EDH4.

Plus, how do you enjoy 2 little hands moving up and down whilst running? no-one runs like that!
Last night I was trying out my console-transferred 3.8 and 4.0 via ShieldTV/Geforce Now. 3.8 was perfect out of the box but 4.0 was pure eyestrain, the HUD was barely readable - it was as if there was some sort of moire over the whole thing. I messed around with a lot of graphical settings (game options and also those on the Shield TV itself, and in the Steam Launcher before the game starts), but eventually gave up.

This morning I fired up 4.0 again and was pleasantly surprised to find the graphics were much better, the game was definitely useable. I'm presuming we get a same-spec rig each time we launch the game, so I guess something I tweaked yesterday wasn't picked up until a full restart. This is on a 40Mb connection & a 1080 TV, so not a high-end setup.

At the moment I have no idea which change made the difference, I just wanted to offer hope that 4.0 on Shield/Geforce might still come good. I might do some experiments this weekend to see if I can work out what was behind the improvement.

Last night I was trying out my console-transferred 3.8 and 4.0 via ShieldTV/Geforce Now. 3.8 was perfect out of the box but 4.0 was pure eyestrain, the HUD was barely readable - it was as if there was some sort of moire over the whole thing. I messed around with a lot of graphical settings (game options and also those on the Shield TV itself, and in the Steam Launcher before the game starts), but eventually gave up.

This morning I fired up 4.0 again and was pleasantly surprised to find the graphics were much better, the game was definitely useable. I'm presuming we get a same-spec rig each time we launch the game, so I guess something I tweaked yesterday wasn't picked up until a full restart. This is on a 40Mb connection & a 1080 TV, so not a high-end setup.

At the moment I have no idea which change made the difference, I just wanted to offer hope that 4.0 on Shield/Geforce might still come good. I might do some experiments this weekend to see if I can work out what was behind the improvement.
If you do find it, please let us know.
I have tried all settings also, but many settings in NVidia are automatic and not variable on GeforceNow unlike those on a PC with an Nvidia GPU.

I am on same set up with Shield TV Pro, 1080 TV, but I do have 1Gb/s Network and that still makes no difference, so it is not the download stream speed at all.

EDIT I am on GeForceNow Priority (£8.99/month) option (same rig as Free AFAIK) as I understand Premium rig at £17.99(?) has no improvement for a mere 1080 TV, it is only for if you have a 4K TV.

Last edited:
If you do find it, please let us know.
I have tried all settings also, but many settings in NVidia are automatic and not variable on GeforceNow unlike those on a PC with an Nvidia GPU.

I am on same set up with Shield TV Pro, 1080 TV, but I do have 1Gb/s Network and that still makes no difference, so it is not the download stream speed at all.

EDIT I am on GeForceNow Priority option (same rig as Free AFAIK) as I understand Premium rig at £17.99(?) has no improvement for a mere 1080 TV, it is only for if you have a 4K TV.
I had a quick look just now, I noticed a nice increase in HUD clarity by going in to the game's graphic options, expanding the "Graphics" menu at the top of the list and then selecting 1920x1080 as the resolution. Can't recall what the defaults were, but I reproduced the problems I had yesterday if I selected other values.

Last edited:
Top Bottom