Guide / Tutorial No, Support Missions are not missing

• The Famine state is currently spawning the 'Restore: Prepare...' missions with fires and bodies although it should, imho, be a non-violent negative state spawning reactivate missions instead. I've even seen settlements in the famine state show up as OFCZs. Probably a bug.

Depends on how hungry they became. I wouldn't call cannibalism non-violent.

It may be out of date as system states can change quite quickly, just tried RR Caeli (top of the current list) and found several.
i checked the state in game and it was the same. I even tried using the in game gal map using all the filters people sugested to find that mission and got nothing

i checked the state in game and it was the same. I even tried using the in game gal map using all the filters people sugested to find that mission and got nothing
I've completed several restore missions in RR Caeli today (even with the server issues) so that system is working, I'll try some others tomorrow but I've found that the states listed in the opening post do work.

RR Caeli is in infrastructure failure so no fires or bodies making looting the base a breeze :)

I've completed several restore missions in RR Caeli today (even with the server issues) so that system is working, I'll try some others tomorrow but I've found that the states listed in the opening post do work.

RR Caeli is in infrastructure failure so no fires or bodies making looting the base a breeze :)
Seems my problem was I thought the mission would be in the ship based menu. There was no indication of checking the concourse terminal. I will try that when I get back in

Support missions (Restore Power) require:

• a faction with a Negative state (see below), and
  • that faction owns an Odyssey Settlement that is offline (because of the negative state), and
  • the missions only spawn from the faction that owns the settlement, and
  • the missions normally will only spawn for settlements within 20 Ly of where you are, and
  • the missions only spawn on the concourse mission board, not the ship mission board

Even if a faction is in a negative state all of its settlements will not be offline. And you probably won't get missions to all the offline settlements.

The main reason you will not see missions in the Support section is the faction states. You need an owning faction in a negative state and the negative states are:

With Bodies and Fires:
  • CIVIL UNREST
  • LOCKDOWN
  • NATURAL DISASTER
  • PIRATE ATTACK
  • TERRORIST ATTACK

Without Bodies or Fires:
  • BLIGHT
  • BUST
  • FAMINE
  • INFRASTRUCTURE FAILURE
  • OUTBREAK

The state governs whether there will be fires and bodies on the ground - they always seems to be the same for the same states. There are some negative states that don't cause settlements to go offline - like Drought. Settlements without fires can be good (faster to complete missions). If you plan on doing Scavenger massacre missions and looting by powering up the bases then you might want Bodies (so you can scan for security codes and save your e-breaches).

My choice for finding these missions is to use inara - plug in the system you are in and it should give some systems to look it. You can also use the more generic search in inara - note that you can't select multiple states on that search page, but you can manually choose the other ones to check (Civil Unrest and Bust tend to have the most). As usual the data in Inara can be out of date, but the results do show how old they are. For advanced users you can select a Station Economy if you want a specific type of settlement (Military, Agriculture etc).

Factions can be in multiple states - if a faction has a Negative state and a positive state (say Terrorist Attack and Boom) then it can still be offline. The system map doesn't always show the negative state, but as long as it is listed on the full list of states for the faction it will count. If there are multiple negative states it appears that either can be chosen as the cause (so you can get mixes between Fires / No Fires in this case).

Finally:

You don't need to take Support missions to Anarchy factions. The scavengers you might come across will not give Notoriety in any system, so no need to stick to Anarchies unless you specifically want Smear Campaigns or Push - and even they these require Anarchy Systems not Anarchy settlements (i.e. the controlling faction must be Anarchy, not the Settlement owning faction).

Thank you for coming to my TED talk :)
Hope you don't mind but I've cut'n'pasted your entire post into MS Word for my future education and delight.... spot on and trific! o7

Seems my problem was I thought the mission would be in the ship based menu. There was no indication of checking the concourse terminal. I will try that when I get back in
The on foot missions are only available on the concourse from terminals or NPC vendors, TBH I wish they were available from the ship as the run from the ship to the lifts is getting to be a real pain! ;)

Support missions (Restore Power) require:

• a faction with a Negative state (see below), and
  • that faction owns an Odyssey Settlement that is offline (because of the negative state), and
  • the missions only spawn from the faction that owns the settlement, and
  • the missions normally will only spawn for settlements within 20 Ly of where you are, and
  • the missions only spawn on the concourse mission board, not the ship mission board

Even if a faction is in a negative state all of its settlements will not be offline. And you probably won't get missions to all the offline settlements.

The main reason you will not see missions in the Support section is the faction states. You need an owning faction in a negative state and the negative states are:

With Bodies and Fires:
  • CIVIL UNREST
  • LOCKDOWN
  • NATURAL DISASTER
  • PIRATE ATTACK
  • TERRORIST ATTACK

Without Bodies or Fires:
  • BLIGHT
  • BUST
  • FAMINE
  • INFRASTRUCTURE FAILURE
  • OUTBREAK

The state governs whether there will be fires and bodies on the ground - they always seems to be the same for the same states. There are some negative states that don't cause settlements to go offline - like Drought. Settlements without fires can be good (faster to complete missions). If you plan on doing Scavenger massacre missions and looting by powering up the bases then you might want Bodies (so you can scan for security codes and save your e-breaches).

You can use the generic search in inara - note that you can't select multiple states on that search page, but you can manually choose the other ones to check (Civil Unrest and Bust tend to have the most). Look for systems with the most settlements as not all will give missions. As usual the data in Inara can be out of date, but the results do show how old they are. For advanced users you can select a Station Economy if you want a specific type of settlement (Military, Agriculture etc). Avoid factions also in a war, as the war state will override the settlement to be a CZ.

Inara also has a specific search for these locations (inara) - plug in the system you are in and it should give some systems to look it. I find this less useful as it doesn't indicate how many settlements there are, and sometimes there may be none at all.

Factions can be in multiple states - if a faction has a Negative state and a positive state (say Terrorist Attack and Boom) then it can still be offline. The system map doesn't always show the negative state, but as long as it is listed on the full list of states for the faction it will count. If there are multiple negative states it appears that either can be chosen as the cause (so you can get mixes between Fires / No Fires in this case).

Finally:

You don't need to take Support missions to Anarchy factions. The scavengers you might come across will not give Notoriety in any system, so no need to stick to Anarchies unless you specifically want Smear Campaigns or Push - and even they these require Anarchy Systems not Anarchy settlements (i.e. the controlling faction must be Anarchy, not the Settlement owning faction).

Thank you for coming to my TED talk :)
Just wanted to say thank you for this! Super helpful. Kudos!

In Colonia, there are currently some systems under investment status. I visited a few of them and, as expected, there were no support missions there. With one exception: Oswald Park in Kojeara.
But why there of all places and not the others with this status? It's not a negative status either, so it's quite strange from that point of view. Does anyone have an idea? The only semi-unusual thing here is a system in Civil Liberty 16 Ly away. But I can hardly imagine it being triggered by that.

Investment or Civil liberty are not negative states that will trigger Restore missions.
Also, you need to pay attention not to System State, but to Faction state. IF any factions in that system are in the required negative states and they do own settlements, those factions will provide restore missions.

When i was in Colonia, i found out that Tir was a constant and permanent source of Restore missions.
And it still is

1651043401590.png

In Colonia, there are currently some systems under investment status. I visited a few of them and, as expected, there were no support missions there. With one exception: Oswald Park in Kojeara.
But why there of all places and not the others with this status? It's not a negative status either, so it's quite strange from that point of view. Does anyone have an idea? The only semi-unusual thing here is a system in Civil Liberty 16 Ly away. But I can hardly imagine it being triggered by that.
Tenjin Reclamation Inc in Kojeara owns Markus Drilling Base and is in Famine + Civil Unrest, so is probably offering that mission.

You can also get missions offered for nearby systems if the faction is in both and in a suitable state elsewhere - for example, ICU Colonial Corps is in Bust and Civil Unrest in nearby Pennsylvania (5.11 LY) and also has a presence in Kojeara to offer missions.

As an option to restore missions check out the procurement missions, you'll occasionally get one for a data download at an abandoned base essentially it's a restore mission without the G3 security clearance.

Like this
Q5GzLid.png

As an option to restore missions check out the procurement missions, you'll occasionally get one for a data download at an abandoned base essentially it's a restore mission without the G3 security clearance.

Like this
Q5GzLid.png
Yup - those and the similar "find goods in abandoned settlement" and the "kill scavengers" missions all share the same pool of bases. The ones ^^^ work best if the base is on fire (so you can get a free access scan from a body), so the states in the OP are useful to know.

I sometimes find if there is no Restore mission then doing a couple of the alternates will start Support missions appearing.

By the way, the main reason I'm not interested in missions that require an energy regulator at the moment is that I need them for myself. Quite a few actually, and I don't want to buy them from FCs, so I'm still very stingy with them.

To get power regulators you can:
  • pick up restore missions and abandon them right on the spot. You get to keep the Power regulator, but you will get fined 100k and you will lose some rep. You can combine that with actually doing some missions for them - do 1-2 missions, abandon one - just to maintain the rep (make sure you pay the fine also on the spot, else you cant get other missions)
  • pick up missions that require you to retrieve an object from a crash site (schematics, personal data etc) - if you get a POI named Distress something (Call, Beacon, etc) there is a chance you will find a landed Eagle/Sidewinder with 2 intact panels that may contain each a working Power Regulator. You can pick those and the mission objective or you can go into a relog frenzy by not picking the mission objective - only the PR, relog, check PR, relog, etc.
  • Mission rewards - some missions can offer rewards in Power Regulators - up to 4 (iirc) if successfully negotiate at Ally status
  • Settlement Massacre missions - you kill everybody, then you take their PR too - not like they need it

In addition to those "retrieve object from crash site" missions and relogging...
You don't even have to land to check the regulators. Just get down with your ship and at approx 40 m above the wreck the regulator(s) will show on screen and you can check it from the left panel. So no need to land or even cut panels for a degraded PR... Saves some time each relog cycle...

But wait a minute, since the mission objective in these missions is not to restore the power generator at all, it should be possible to remove the regulator after the job is done, right?
Yes, definitely. You're risking something going horribly wrong mid-mission meaning you have to leave it behind, but provided you clear out any initial scavengers before you insert the regulator, and be ready to run full speed back to your ship (overcharge any doors in-between) once you've removed it again, you should be fine.

Top Bottom